Advice Request Hitman Pro detects Avast Online Security

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Hi, JB007. I was going to ask if you were, in fact, Infected. :D

Today, is Sunday, does the scanner still pick all these .JSON files up? HMP usually whitelists something legit very quickly, right? Don't want to speculate so I'll leave it there.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
That's the answer of HitmanPro support:

hitmanpro_alert-zendesk-icon-114px.png
Technician (Support)

Jun 18, 2020, 2:36 PM GMT+2

Hi ........,

It is a so called PUA (Potentially Unwanted Application). The file can safely be removed from your system. It is an extension in your browser. If you want to keep the file(s) it is fine as well.

Regards,
HitmanPro Tech Support

and the answer of Avast support:

"Hello Mr. ..........,
I thank you for your patience.
I confirm that this is a false positive and that the detected file "messages.json" is a simple text file containing information on the name of Avast Online Security in different languages.
Thank you again for your patience.
I remain at your disposal for any further information and I wish you a good day, Mr ..............
Best regards,
Avast Customer Care"

Where is the truth ?:unsure:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well this is very interesting. After a day, two days' maximum, you would expect a legit or new file to be whitelisted. After a week, things seem doubtful. I side with HitmanPro, especially since you can easily substitute Avast for other extensions.

Definitely a smack in the face for Avast, right? It's not so much the product itself but an uphill battle for user trust, it seems.

Thank you for the update, JB007.

Chipicao

Level 2
May 17, 2020
Did you wait for update to know that AVAST is not for user trust? My god..

AVG / AVAST are gargabe in terms of user trust... Seems like Sophos did the right thing to do.

VladDracul

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Sep 28, 2011
Did you wait for update to know that AVAST is not for user trust? My god..

AVG / AVAST are gargabe in terms of user trust... Seems like Sophos did the right thing to do.
I myself dont use Avast or AVG for so many years....but continuing bashing doesnt help anyone and its not constructive.Make your own thread where you can share your hate.

Last edited:

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Come on , wait wait , Avast just want protect you :D

But at this point send this suspected files to Eastern AV companies (Dr.Web or Kaspersky) if they confirmed this file is safe its Fps :)
but personally I see this Fps from HMP it dose not too important...
simply removed this Spy tool and change it with better one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.