Battle Hitman Pro VS Norton Power Eraser

Syafiq

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2017
Mmmm.. I would choose Hitmanpro because it has a few risk of false positives and NPE are more 'deeper' scan. So, many safe files may flagged as malicious or suspicious. But, I have both of them :p

Reactions: MWNu72

kamla5abi

Level 4
Verified
May 15, 2017
NPE is a portable executable.
NPE is more aggressive and can find a lot of things HMP doesn't, but HMP has more engines to scan the samples with.
So its established NPE is a portable executable. AFAIK portable executable means no installation files, right? Just the exe to execute?
Avast detected a left over NPE file after Un-installation as Adware, HitmanPro said it was suspicious I deleted them both since I don't need them. Here was the link I got it from, is it legit?Norton Power Eraser | Free Tool | Easily remove scamware that traditional virus scanning can’t detect.
@viel says "avast detected left over NPE file after un-installation" o_O:rolleyes:
How is there leftover file after you "uninstall" NPE?? since NPE is portable executable, no installation occurs, so what exactly did you do to "uninstall" it ?? all you have to do is delete NPE.exe file and its gone... there is no other files that come with NPE ....:rolleyes:

Then @viel says "HitmanPro said it was suspicious" so he deleted them (referring to NPE leftover files), so @viel meant he deleted whatever NPE leftover files were detected as adware/suspicious by avast/HMP

Avast detected NPE as Adware and Hitman Pro found it suspicious I deleted it.
Should I be worried?
again he says avast and HMP detect NPE as adware....:rolleyes:

I got it from here:
Norton Power Eraser | Free Tool | Easily remove scamware that traditional virus scanning can’t detect.
I scanned with Zemana,Avast,NPE,HitmanPro and Malwarebytes, and Avast and Hitman Pro thinks NPE is adware, the leftover files after I deleted it were the ones that were accused being Adware and suspicious by Avast and HMP
again he confirms he scanned with multiple other software, including avast and HMP, and that avast/HMP thought NPE is adware, BUT here he clarifies that "leftover files were accused of being adware and suspicious by avast and HMP"

point to notice: He scanned with HMP.... ;)
You can open that HitmanPro scan log, you'll see the hash of that suspicious file and you can check it on virustotal
@Transhumana tells him to look in the log of HMP to find the file hash of the leftover NPE file that was detected as adware by HMP/Avast
Since @viel very clearly said above that he scanned with avast/HMP which told him some leftover file of NPE was adware (after he "uninstalled" NPE - a portable exe)
This was suggested because @viel said he already deleted whatever leftover files of NPE were detected as adware (because earlier it was suggested that he upload those files to virustotal to see virustotal results...and to show us those results too...)
but instead of opening up HMP logs (which he should have since he clearly scanned with HMP, since it was HMP that detected the leftover NPE files as adware/suspicious along with avast...)

But instead of doing that (looking at HMP logs) he then asks "how about avast" .... huh?!?! o_O:rolleyes:
Thanks so much, but the thing is how about Avast?
at this point, since you claim some leftover files of NPE uninstallation were flagged as adware or suspicious by both avast and HMP...
who cares "how about avast" ?? why ask what to do with avast? why not just look at the HMP logs to see the hash of the "NPE leftover files that were detected as adware/suspicious"....:rolleyes:o_O
because you did use HMP to scan right?

Isn't Norton stubborn to uninstall itself when told to do so? Does it not leave ALOT of files behind?
reading this post of his first then reading all of the rest of them, i am inclined to think @viel is just spreading misinformation about NPE and/or other software...
OR his goal is to just waste people's time?? lol otherwise i am not sure what the point of this even was. Any of the posts where people discuss pro/con of either HMP or NPE he has pretty much ignored

The funniest part of his posts are when he claims he uninstalled a portable executable file (NPE) which supposedly "left behind ALOT of files", which were apparently detected as being adware/suspicious by avast/HMP....but then he ignores a users advice on how to find the file's hash, since he has already deleted the "suspicious" file.....

Last edited:

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
You can't compare them.
They need each other cuz that Norton can detect smth when hitman pro misses that and hitman pro can detect smth when Norton miss that thing. :p
Use both(Norton is only 3mb..) why you wanna chose between them? I can't understand .. useless discussion.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@kamla5abi

Your quote

How is there leftover file after you "uninstall" NPE?? since NPE is portable executable, no installation occurs, so what exactly did you do to "uninstall" it ?? all you have to do is delete NPE.exe file and its gone... there is no other files that come with NPE ...

.....reading this post of his first then reading all of the rest of them, i am inclined to think @viel is just spreading misinformation about NPE and/or other software...
OR his goal is to just waste people's time?? lol otherwise i am not sure what the point of this even was.....

......how the hell can a portable executable leave behind ALOT of files when you "uninstall" the portable executable? that makes zero sense, since there is nothing needed to be uninstalled with NPE....hahaha

Norton created a folder in C:/ProgramData. So simply deleting NPE will not remove the Norton folder. You'll need to remove both.

Other portables like NPE (e.g. EEK, KVRT, AdwCleaner, RogueKiller etc) also behave similarly. Not all portables can 100% cleanly removed themselves just by deleting its exe file and many of them leave behind files too.

Nothing strange here.

Last edited:
V

viel

Thread author
@kamla5abi

Your quote

Norton created a folder in C:/ProgramData. So simply deleting NPE will not remove the Norton folder. You'll need to remove both.

Other portables like NPE (e.g. EEK, KVRT, AdwCleaner, RogueKiller etc) also behave similarly. Not all portables can 100% cleanly removed themselves just by deleting its exe file and many of them leave behind files too.

Nothing strange here.
You just answered my question, thanks

I sometimes do not make sense or I do not understand other people since English is not my first language. I use an app to edit my posts if I make English mistakes

Last edited by a moderator:
V

viel

Thread author
You just answered my question, thanks

I sometimes do not make sense or I do not understand other people since English is not my first language. I use an app to edit my posts if I make English mistakes
Sorry for reviving an old thread.. I found this post today, and I hate how half of it makes no sense.
Oops, in this quote I just quoted I meant, that sorry I did not make sense or understand anyone else.. the English is not my first language part is false.. I am not sure where that came from! Probably an error with the one of the spelling apps :p

Just clearing that out xD

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.