Advice Request Home network recommendations

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

cryogent

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
Hi guys, first of all I don't know if I opened this topic in the corresponding section, if so, I ask an OP to move it to the correct section.
I apologize but my knowledge of networking is not very advanced.
I would like to secure my home network and I don't know if I can introduce a RaspberryPi with PiHole in the network and what would be the devices that will benefit from its existence in the network.
I can still ask my ISP to put my router in bridge mode but that way I will need a single WiFi hardware firewall (UTM / UDM / Untangle / PFSense) or a single wireless router with strong protection in IDS / IPS / AiProtection (a hardware firewall + a good wireless router far exceeds the budget, so I only consider one device)
But I don't know what I could buy, because Gryphon is not sold in our country and I can't order from the US for the EU and hardware firewalls are hard to find in stores for home users. Bitdefender Box 2 would be a variant but it has only one gigabit port .....
What devices do you think are ok for my needs?
If i put a RaspberryPi with PiHole in the network what devices will benefit from its existence?
Untitled Diagram EN.jpg

Last edited:

scorpionv

Level 2
Apr 20, 2020
Good topic! I'm all for complete network protection. (y)

I would like to secure my home network and I don't know if I can introduce a RaspberryPi with PiHole in the network and what would be the devices that will benefit from its existence in the network.
Afaik PiHole is focussed on ad-blocking, so no complete firewall / UTM protection.

I can still ask my ISP to put my router in bridge mode but that way I will need a single WiFi hardware firewall (UTM / UDM / Untangle / PFSense) or a single wireless router with strong protection in IDS / IPS / AiProtection (a hardware firewall + a good wireless router far exceeds the budget, so I only consider one device).
I would not recommend putting your ISP modem/router in bridge mode.
You need to be very sure that the device behind your ISP modem/router has all 'shields up' before you do that.

I apologize but my knowledge of networking is not very advanced.
But I don't know what I could buy, because Gryphon is not sold in our country and I can't order from the US for the EU and hardware firewalls are hard to find in stores for home users. Bitdefender Box 2 would be a variant but it has only one gigabit port .....
What devices do you think are ok for my needs?
Sophos UTM Home or Sophos XG Firewall Home would fit the bill, but they will both need networking knowledge. You can use these devices to learn more about networking, but it will take a lot of time (at least it took me a lot of time).

If you are looking for something easier you are stuck with Gryphon or an Asus router with AiProtection (AiProtection is pretty good from what I hear).

cryogent

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
Afaik PiHole is focussed on ad-blocking, so no complete firewall / UTM protection.
I am willing to try even if it is focused only on ad-blocking but as I said, I do not know how many of the devices attached to the router ISP will benefit from its protection.

You need to be very sure that the device behind your ISP modem/router has all 'shields up' before you do that.
I also don't agree with putting the ISP router in bridge mode

Sophos UTM Home or Sophos XG Firewall Home would fit the bill, but they will both need networking knowledge. You can use these devices to learn more about networking, but it will take a lot of time (at least it took me a lot of time).
I am willing to learn, I am sure that this knowledge will be useful to me sooner or later.

If you are looking for something easier you are stuck with Gryphon or an Asus router with AiProtection (AiProtection is pretty good from what I hear).
Any recommendations of ASUS router?
Maybe one that can be tweaked (script/custom firmware).

What about a TP-Link router with HomeCare by Trend Micro as alternative to Gryphon and Asus?
Any recommendations of TP-Link router?

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I am willing to try even if it is focused only on ad-blocking but as I said, I do not know how many of the devices attached to the router ISP will benefit from its protection.

I also don't agree with putting the ISP router in bridge mode

I am willing to learn, I am sure that this knowledge will be useful to me sooner or later.

Any recommendations of ASUS router?

Any recommendations of TP-Link router?
I bought a TP-Link Archer AX6000 router recently and let my ISP set their cable modem in bridge mode.
No more WIFI problems, very stable connection now all over the house and built-in TP-Link HomeCare by Trend Micro.
I don't know if scripts and custom firmware are possible.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Asus RT-AC88U or Asus RT-AC5300 are both great. The AC88U is a solid performer, the AC5300 is designed for even heavier network loads with dual 5GHz radio.

@Gandalf_The_Grey 's router does look equally impressive though, outside and inside (y)
Thanks, it's an early birthday present for myself and works great here for 5 days now.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

If i put a RaspberryPi with PiHole in the network what devices will benefit from its existence?
All who use the Pi as DNS server.

If you add it to your router and use DHCP (Default) then all your devices use PiHole automatically without any changes on clients needed.
Highly recommend.

Also don't blow up your network with unnecessary "security" devices. Using a router already close the doors to almighty internet.
Here in Germany I recommend the FritzBox router which is very secure and easy

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Good topic! I'm all for complete network protection. (y)

i took really a lot to learn i am studying CCNA for a while (just finished static routing)) and until know i cannot grasp dynamic routing concept using RIP good :(:()

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.