honestly .. is CIS the Best ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sealava

Thread author
Sep 12, 2011
I came to ask here after i looked up comodo on many review sites , and many claim its good because its FREE and that's it . and free anti virus is .. well ..read this :
http://update.pcantivirusreviews.com/news/2009/07/is-free-antivirus-software-worth-it.html
I don't mind paying for my anti virus program , after all its my security . but i do mind when i pay for something and it fails me !
many claim its better then paid anti virus programs like Kaspersky ,BitDefender,Norton ..etc.
if its true I'm in , but i don't wana be a victim of blinded fans :p
your help and advice is much appreciated :)

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
CIS has bundled among other features a HIPS which will give you a really high degree of prevention , as with all host intrusions prevention systems there is a a downside ...the occasionally pop-ups that you may have to answer and those can be overwhelming for some security newbies.
COMODO has constantly improved there HIPS and added some interesting technologies like auto-sandboxing which should limit the number of pop-ups (eg. last time I had CIS installed , I've only received 2 alerts from the Firewall and 0 alerts from Defense+ ... and I do have a lot of programs on my system :D) but they still need to work a little at the antivirus component.
So should you install CIS?
It depends on your computer skills and knowledge, the best advice that I can give you is to start a thread in our Security Configuration Wizard Forum. You should know that securing a computer is not just a job for your real time protection. :D

PS : WELCOME ABOARD! :welcomewave:

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
I have used many paid solutions in my time and do currently ue CIS, the link you gave it outdated and Comodo has moved even more on than that! Their AV is one of the best with good detection rates, they do have few FP but so does any provider. When reported it's always resolved same day. The reason why I think CIS is the best offering out their is because of the 'Default Deny' approach which is much more secure than allowing things and checking later! The firewall is praised by many people who use it as a standalone... rock solid (fact). The HIPS (Def +) can be as elusive or as intruding as you wish because to set it to paranoid is where the full power of that part is at.

Sandbox is another great thing within the suite, any file that Comodo does not recognise is automatically sandboxed. In version 6 when this comes out the Sandbox part will be even more stronger (full virtualization) so no need again to pay for another program like Sandboxie.

Am also able to provide/dig up links to many tests that has shown Comodo come up good, should you wish to see them. But as stated by the CEO (and known by most active users in the community) most current tests are outdated and not able to test CIS properly.

Out of interest what are you currently using to keep yourself secure, and touching on the point you said in the post about not liking something that fails you. No solution will ever be 100% secure so it is impossible to say you will always be safe and never get infected. That's a fact and does not matter what solution you choose....

Welcome to the forum, please feel free to create a thread in the introductions section.

network86

Oct 12, 2011
CIS in my opinion is amazing. I like to be able to decide what runs on my computer and what it does. I've tried many Antivirus and always come back to CIS. CIS is all about the prevention, that's why the antivirus doesn't get great reviews, but it is improving.Pop-ups have decreased a lot. Its very light on resources. I use to be a Norton fanboy but find its not great lately.Like Jack says it depends on your computer skills and knowledge. Every one has a different opinion to which is the best, personally i find the best thing to do is try it.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Whether it's the best or not is probably never going to be answered, as it is such a subjective thing to test.

My advice would be to give all the free security suites a try and go with the one you like.

Contrary to what Symantec would like you to believe, there are free products out that do a very good job at keeping your system secure.

Nathan Wootton

Level 1
May 25, 2011
Well the comodo has a Brilliant fw and the antvirus is improving alot, whether its the best i don't know but i can tell you its not far off!

firefx

Oct 30, 2011
as far as free gose i say it the best free suite thats capable of keeping up with the leading brand

sealava

Thread author
Sep 12, 2011
thanks for the informative response.
as my current suite , I'm actually in between atm . I had Avira for almost a year, but then had a security breach , and passwords were stolen which I didn't know about till it was too late , did an Avira scan and still it didn't detect a thing !:mad:
so i did a scan with Malwarebytes , Ad-Aware and Emsisoft Anti-Malware and found out there were actually many Trojans and such !:s
so I'm very wary atm about anti-virus suites .
I heard many praise CIS over priced suites so I came to check , and from the great responses it seems CIS is getting an additional little noisy customer :p

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
best and best.. I think CIS is among the greatest products that are for free. CIS, the main and one of many free products Comodo offers, is COMODO's way to make commercial for them, which I find very nice. Avast is also for free and when you pay their AV you more or less pay for their live support just as you do with CIS.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I'm using Comodo Internet Security right now and I must say that the latest version is a great improvement over the older ones especially when it comes to performance. They do improve the AV Engine with every release so that's a great big plus to Comodo. It's seriously one of the best free security software around.

D

Deleted member 178

im using comodo when it was just a firewall then they add the antivirus module and sandbox, i like CIS for its light resources usage and high prevention capacity, i tried almost all the other brands and always get back to CIS.

sure comodo has many fanboys and its CEO is a big mouth guy, but i dont care of it, a use a product not a brand, i have a Samsung phone not because it is Samsung, but because they are good quality.

now it is how you want to use your security suite, you prefer:

1- a sensitive security suite than generate some potential "annoying" pop-ups asking you what you do when it detects a potential threat but a bit less good at removal.

2- a security suite almost silent but that may let some malwares penetrate your system but it can remove them easily.

this is just a question of taste, personally, i choose the 1st, i like discussing with my computer :D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
im using comodo when it was just a firewall then they add the antivirus module and sandbox, i like CIS for its light resources usage and high prevention capacity, i tried almost all the other brands and always get back to CIS.

sure comodo has many fanboys and its CEO is a big mouth guy, but i dont care of it, a use a product not a brand, i have a Samsung phone not because it is Samsung, but because they are good quality.

now it is how you want to use your security suite, you prefer:

1- a sensitive security suite than generate some potential "annoying" pop-ups asking you what you do when it detects a potential threat but a bit less good at removal.

2- a security suite almost silent but that may let some malwares penetrate your system but it can remove them easily.

this is just a question of taste, personally, i choose the 1st, i like discussing with my computer :D

Very well said. +rep

It is up to personal choice. If you like Comodo then that is all that matters.

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
I think it's popular because it's a very configurable program with a lot of different security modules. You can have the classic AV, a Firewall, manual sandboxing with different levels, automatic sandboxing with different levels, a HIPS, which is itself very configurable, blocking access to areas etc.

I

illumination

CIS is very good protection. The firewall is simply amazing..Altogether, it is a strong suite consisting of layered protection. Here are a few links from online searches for you to see a few other opinions on it..

TopTen Reviews

Consumersearch

Lifehacker

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Just a question, but how long has CIS been free for. Has it been free since the first release?

D

Deleted member 178

yes even when it was just a firewall, comodo gains income by selling certificates, softwares and the pro/complete version of CIS (thaat add nothing special to CIS except a kind of damage insurance, free support, and vpn services)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
yes even when it was just a firewall, comodo gains income by selling certificates, softwares and the pro/complete version of CIS (thaat add nothing special to CIS except a kind of damage insurance, free support, and vpn services)

When in that case, Comodo is one of my favourite AVs now.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
McLovin said:
Just a question, but how long has CIS been free for. Has it been free since the first release?

Melih (Comodo's CEO) feels that security should be a right and not a privilege. As such, he doesn't feel a user should have to pay for top notch security. So yes, as Umbrapolaris has stated, Comodo's standard security products have always been free.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
HeffeD said:
McLovin said:

Melih (Comodo's CEO) feels that security should be a right and not a privilege. As such, he doesn't feel a user should have to pay for top notch security. So yes, as Umbrapolaris has stated, Comodo's standard security products have always been free.

Ah, okay. Having a security as a right is a good thing, thanks umbra and Heffe :D

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
ALL the antivirus programs is good.
it depends on the user's computer.
if we know what we are doing, and not doing anything harm to the windows system. We will still safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.