honestly .. is CIS the Best ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

win7holic said:
ALL the antivirus programs is good.

ummmm... in theory yes, in practice NO ! some have a poor prevention/detection rate and are very very heavy on the system, like you run a 3D game ...

i will take a simple example, long time ago i check my friend laptop who had Avast 5, bundled with his computer, he did no special harmful surfing, but he took a friend usb for finish his job then he got infected by several viruses and other malwares.

we know what avast is now , a great product, but nothing is good or nothing can be prevented by the user only.

we must choose AV and Suites as we choose medecine, some are good for you others will have secondary undesired effects, so i prefer the one with no-side effects.

all taste are in the wild :D

E

Exorcizm

In reality, to find out which antivirus/internet security etc is "THE BEST" we would need to have every single virus/worm/rootkit etc in the world in our hands to test on all antivirus software, and see which has the highest detection rate.

I personally think ICS is far from the best, there are many better AV/IS etc out there. ICS is just one of them :)

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
Cis is one of the best security suite,i tried many security suite,but i just love the way cis work,with cis you know whats happening to your pc,one thing that was preventing comodo from being a top notch security suite was its weak av detection,but since 5.8 you can feel how the av works,there has been great improvement,it won't surprise me comodo being one was of the most popular security suite in some years,as people tends to download and buy security suite which performed well in malware test :) so i guess as comodo is improving it will be included in several test its just a matter of time :)

D

Deleted member 178

when you have only one computer and want share files with your coworkers or friends you cant avoid usb keys or other flash drives. some people dont have a high salary enough or rich parents for buying several computers or external HDDs. Even myself i dont go around with my ext HDD in a bag...

E

Exorcizm

ESET NOD32 Smart Antivirus 5 is very good as well, i've just migrated over from Avast! and i'm Lovin It ;) haha

sealava

Thread author
Sep 12, 2011
So "sealava" have you given CIS a try and what are your thoughts on it?
i just installed it and its very light indeed which is always very good . but as we all know AV suits need time to get familiarized with the pc and its user behavior , but so far so good :)
BitDefender is very good as well, i've just migrated over from Avast
indeed BitDefender is one of the well known brands , and its impressive virus detection rates have always lured me into their camp in the past , but this year I tried their 2012 product and it instantly slowed my browsing speed alot no mater how i try to config it , and after looking up that problem i noticed many users are complaining about the same problem in this 2012 product http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29905.
guess my PC isn't suited for their suit .;)

D

Deleted member 178

more and more CIS becomes user-friendly without loosing its efficiency so it will gains more users.

GabiCRX

Level 8
Verified
Jun 24, 2011
CIS is a very good product for protection, at detection it needs improvements !

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I use Avira Free 2012 with COMODO Firewall with Defense+. Comodo really satisfied me by their strong firewall and defense+

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
I use Avira Free 2012 with COMODO Firewall with Defense+. Comodo really satisfied me by their strong firewall and defense+

That sounds like a good combo. Does that slow down your system at all?

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
One thing the most I like features of comodo is: Defense + , due to the fact that it gives a very solid for the system
But COMODO needs to improve the detection rate , and then it will have the most solid Internet Security Suite on the market.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
win7holic said:
One thing the most I like features of comodo is: Defense + , due to the fact that it gives a very solid for the system
But COMODO needs to improve the detection rate , and then it will have the most solid Internet Security Suite on the market.

It still is the most solid free Internet Security suite out there.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
all features in Comodo is disabled.
Just enable are: an antivirus engine (without cloud scanner features)
will it solid?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
win7holic said:
all features in Comodo is disabled.
Just enable are: an antivirus engine (without cloud scanner features)
will it solid?

Is any antivirus engine as a stand alone solid when it comes to protecting the user from malware?
I can tell you that there isn't a antivirus in the world that can efficiently protect a system only with its antivirus engine. As you've probably notice , in every detection test , the highest detection rate is at 99% so there is 1% (in reality a lot more) of the malware that can't be detected and won't be stopped by this traditional layers of security.In order to protect yourself you need a HIPS,a very fine tunned behavior blocker or other layers of protection.

D

Deleted member 178

why you should do that ?! CIS strenght is based on its layered prevention modules (HIP, Sandbox, Cloud, AV, Firewall), it will be stupid to just using the AV. it is like you say: "if i take off the breaks, seatbelts and airbags of my car can i still be safe"...

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
nah, I just want to know it.
how about just an antivirus. not with other features.

I guess. Comodo AV detection is only 75-82%
as I remember, in my tests. detection rate approximately that much.

we always surely need the level of detection also, jack.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
win7holic said:
Yes but that's actually a very good rate if we consider the fact that you've use ZERO day malware.Not sure if other av. engines will do better.
I've also tested CAV detection rate and I must say I found it very decent and in some cases above the industry average.

win7holic said:
Yes no doubt , COMODO has to always improve it's detection as it is the first and safest layer of prevention for all its users.
But in reality most COMODO users are not exactly security newbies so they have at least 2 on-demand scanners installed and have a good knowledge on PC security.

E

Exorcizm

win7holic said:
nah, I just want to know it.
how about just an antivirus. not with other features.

Hey Win7

Are you referring to ICS 2012? Apparently it's suppose to be the best, alot of reviews say so, i'll definately be giving it a go when the time comes for its release :)

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Comodo Antivirus' peak detection rate was 98% before so I do think that there's still room for improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.