Host Shadow Defender / VM Workstation guest - would there be any issues?

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I have sufficient RAM, can I run shadow defender in host os, and then run vm workstation guest from "inside" SD host? Or, does it muck something up? I think I read ticklemefeet posted that he does this or did do this. any reason to do this or not do this?? I suppose I could just test it, but thought I'd ask first :unsure: before o_O:emoji_grimacing::sick: If it is a great idea, cost is minimal, why isn't sop?

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

I have sufficient RAM, can I run shadow defender in host os, and then run vm workstation guest from "inside" SD host? Or, does it muck something up? I think I read ticklemefeet posted that he does this or did do this. any reason to do this or not do this?? I suppose I could just test it, but thought I'd ask first :unsure: before o_O:emoji_grimacing::sick: If it is a great idea, cost is minimal, why isn't sop?

Yes that is how I used to run it but I used VMware player which is free. For now I use Virtual Box.The reason I have SD running at the same time as my VM, is in case A piece of malware breaks out of my VM. Then I just reboot after my VM session if I have been testing malware.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I did this before. It works, no problem. Vm workstation Pro version has snapshot support which is much easier and you won't need shadow defender. Oracle VM Virtual Box has snapshot feature too and it's free.
Anyway, VmWare Workstation works in shadow mode just fine.

great I'll test it soon, if not later today. I have vmw_pro 15, yes, I use snapshots. I used vbox and vmw a long time ago, when they were not as polished as now. I have w10 guest vm running all the time and move back and forth, can't tell performance-wise I'm moving from host to guest and visa versa. thanks!!! :)

Yes that is how I used to run it but I used VMware player which is free. For now I use Virtual Box.The reason I have SD running at the same time as my VM, is in case A piece of malware breaks out of my VM. Then I just reboot after my VM session if I have been testing malware.

thanks and understood that was the reason. :)

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.