Advice Request How clear only old cache and low use cookies

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
I'm trying to learn how to use only Windows to manage and clean temporary files.

I know storage sense can clean a lot of things, but - based on a few tests - it doesn't seem to clean browser caches (i checked Edge and Firefox).

I know all browser have an option to clean cache and cookies. However those options are like "all or nothing" (ok, you can clean the last hour, day, etc; but you can't choose what to keep, and you can't choose to "keep" only the last day or month for example).

I don't want to clean all my cache automatically every time i exit the browser. Instead, i'd like to clean only old and unused caches. For example, cache that was not modified in the last month. In this way i can keep pages i visit frequently with cache, and eliminate cache i don't need anymore.

The same applies to cookies. Cleaning all the cookies is not an answer for me, cause it logs out every extension and sites i use frequently. That's why i keep using 3th party software like Ccleaner, that allows me to whitelist cookies. I could partially fix this problem using the autoclean 3th party cookies from adguard, but it's not perfect as some sites use 3th party cookies to save logins (examples: facebook use c_user and xs to do this, and for some reason adguard deletes them; google seems to be logged out too by adguard).

So i'm looking for solutions for those 2 problems.
Btw, i know there is some guide around here teaching people how to use all windows advanced features to optimize system, but i lost it.

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
For extensions you can use Cookie AutoDelete for Chrome/Chromium and Forget Me Not in FF to manage the cookies
Ty!

Yep, i used it for a while. It's a good extension. But i preferred the Adguard feature that only delete 3th party cookies.
And they don't solve the cache problem

Reactions: Protomartyr

Stas

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Feb 21, 2015
History.jpg

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Ty for trying to help, but as I said before, those options only clean the new cache/cookies and not old unnused ones. (Unless you delete everything). My idea was to delete only old cache, and to select which cookies to keep
In Chromium go to this page below and manually delete those cookies you don't want first. Then use Cookie AutoDelete to not whitelist all other cookies. Or you clear ALL cookies first and use Cookie AutoDelete and whitelist all those websites that you want to keep the cookies. In my case only the below cookies are kept.

1589067492417.png

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Cookie AutoDelete 3.2.0 is available for Edge Chrome and Chrome ,Doesn't clear cache(I don't think) but nice cookie killer
Just go to 'Clear Browsing Data' and set to clear cache in Basic and Advanced settings will do. Leave all cookie settings unchecked in the browser so that cookies will be managed by Cookie AutoDelete.

1589075909938.png

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I use Auto History Wipe.
I took it from @Windows_Security.

View attachment 239345
I use Auto History Wipe in Ungoogled Chromium to clear history because history is not properly cleared. Could be due to it's not using the latest Chromium version. In Brave no need to use Auto History Wipe because history is properly cleared.

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
But the cache problem still persists.

I used to have a solution but idk if it actually works.

I've used to include the cache paths to Ccleaner and mark to delete only after 720h (1 months)

Like this
1589093889900.png

But this approach have 2 problems
1) Idk if its cleaning everything necessary and if can cause any damage

2) Idk if Edge (or any other browser) "modify" all its cache every time, instead of only when you use it. For example, lets say i visit facebook and find an advertisiment. Edge cached the image, but i didn't see that image for the next 30 days. In that case, i'd expect that ccleaner would find the correpondent file and delete it. But idk if Edge would not modify it constantly, avoiding ccleaner rules to work.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.