How do I clean up my parents computer?

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
It's been a while I checked up on my parents computer, and when I did I was horrified. They had absolutely no security and had tons of stuff. I immediately got them on a Emsisoft trial and will buy them Emsisoft IS when it runs out. I used ccleaner to clean up some junk, and Emsisoft surprisingly didn't detect any malware. However their computer is full of software they don't use and looks fishy, is there any application to deal with this? Or will I have to spend a day restoring their computer?

Reactions: spaceoctopus

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Running AdwCleaner, and cleaning everything it finds would be a good starting point. Also I would recommend scanning with Malwarebytes, Zemana and HitmanPro. Make sure you use the download link for the free version of Zemana, about halfway down the page, as otherwise you will get the trial of the paid version.

GonzitoVir

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2017
Running AdwCleaner, and cleaning everything it finds would be a good starting point. Also I would recommend scanning with Malwarebytes, Zemana and HitmanPro. Make sure you use the download link for the free version of Zemana, about halfway down the page, as otherwise you will get the trial of the paid version.
If Zemana finds something it would be good to buy a license. It's not expensive and for me has worked very well.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
To completely get rid of the old/risky system/software: format all drives and completely reinstall windows and all programms.
I guess its the best and the fastest way to remove all risky settings and risky software from an unknown PC... reinstall everything from scratch... ...then you are absolutely sure that only safe software (and safe OS/software settings) are running on their PC....

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
@LukeLovesSecurity since you're planning to keep the PC protected now onwards, you can for once reinstall Windows via a USB media (prefer not to use the default reset option) to begin clean.
If not, you can follow @roger_m's advice. Since you're not doing a Windows format, scanning via a Rescue disc (Bitdefender, Dr. Web) is also a nice option to Remove threats that might be not get detected when the system is live.
There are many Zemana giveaways around and you need not buy for now. You can enable Pandora technology in its settings if you're keeping it for real-time protection.

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014

budda

Level 2
Verified
Feb 13, 2013
Install zemana and hitman pro and scan your system. Most of them are PUP's which can be uninstalled easily.
You can also use eset online scanner or install kaspersky free

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
Yeah! I forgot to write "Antilogger". Zemana Antilogger has more features than Antimalware alone ;)

As I remember they offered Zemana Antilogger lifetime license last year. It was very easy to get just subscribing with gmail or smth like this. I could get 3 licenses and shared with my friends. Personally I don't use Zemana. Hitman Pro installed on my PC. Twice a week I perform a scan... The most important thing on my PC is webmoney agent (it is a Russina e-money) by which I can pay/receive money online. That's why I installed Hitman Pro to detect malwares and other malicious. Beside this I enabled sms confirmation for webmoney transaction. Even if somebody steals login/password he won't be able to use it untill sms confirmation enabled

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I think you seem well versed enough to decide which softwares are useless and which they might need, so you can start uninstalling the rubbish software first to speed up the system.

Definitely run CCleaner after that to clear any temp files left behind and make sure that they are uninstalled fully by going to program files and looking for the names of the uninstalled software and delete them manually.

If emsisoft says that there is not malware then likely there isn't any real threat from the software that was installed.

Also I would recommend a AV that doesn't need user decision as much as emsisoft, from what I can tell it seems that most of emsisoft's protection is user decision based and your parents aren't the best judge of software so it might hinder their protection.

A good AV would be Avast, because there is basically no interaction, if a threat is detected it is immediately quarantined no questions asked.

You might want to scan their computer with other 2nd opinion scanners like zemana, malwarebytes and hitmanpro to make sure that there are no threats or adware remaining.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.