Advice Request How do you backup your mobile phone data files?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Hi Gents,
i want to hear from you about how do you usually backup your mobile data. By mobile data i mean everything " Media , Whatsapp data , Phone contacts , etc" ??
Do you using special software or backup on clouds ? Do you have any privacy concerns when you backup it ? What is the the best practices in your point of view ??

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
My contacts are saved on google account ( a backup is on mega as .vcf format), pictures are on google photos, OneDrive and Mega, WhatsApp data is backed up to google drive, personal data is on OneDrive and Mega. Office data is on Sharepoint ( office 365).

F

ForgottenSeer 94943

Hi Gents,
i want to hear from you about how do you usually backup your mobile data. By mobile data i mean everything " Media , Whatsapp data , Phone contacts , etc" ??
Do you using special software or backup on clouds ? Do you have any privacy concerns when you backup it ? What is the the best practices in your point of view ??
First, I'm not using WhatsApp, Telegram, nor any social media apps except for Twitter. Instead, I am using Threema and Signal. Both allows you to create encrypted backups of which I keep a copy offline and on my cloud. My photos and videos are synced automatically to my cloud, too. I don't backup anything else except for Aegis Authenticator encrypted database.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I use an Iphone.
My contacts, mail,calendar, tasks, are saved on my Google account, pictures, and videos on Google Photos. Everything else is automatically saved on Icloud ( 50G). I can access files and folders I have on my PC with Google Drive and Onedrive.

Last edited:

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
First, I'm not using WhatsApp, Telegram, nor any social media apps except for Twitter. Instead, I am using Threema and Signal. Both allows you to create encrypted backups of which I keep a copy offline and on my cloud. My photos and videos are synced automatically to my cloud, too. I don't backup anything else except for Aegis Authenticator encrypted database.
i think whatsapp has option to encrypt the data "but i didnot try it "
what the cloud service provider Google / icloud ??

F

ForgottenSeer 94943

i think whatsapp has option to encrypt the data "but i didnot try it "
what the cloud service provider Google / icloud ??
I don't trust WhatsApp as it's owned by Meta. Regarding the cloud storage that I am using, I use OneDrive for insensitive stuff and I use Koofr for more important stuff encrypted using Cryptomator.

Today, I subscribed to Internxt because it is open source. They provide 30 day money-back guarantee. I'm going to try it to see if it is a good option. If it is, then I'll be using it as my main cloud storage.

F

ForgottenSeer 94943

Swift Backup

This. Definitely the best to Android.
I use QKSMS, an open source messaging app, to backup my messages. Why would you backup your apps as APK? Regarding call logs, these can be synced to cloud. Usually every manufacturer allows you to keep backups of your contacts, call logs etc. Personally I do not backup these private info to manufacturers cloud.

F

ForgottenSeer 94943

I sync my contacts on google account.
Messages,call logs in xiaomi account
Viber in google drive (i guess)
Photos,videos,music transfer to my laptop (from sd card)
Sorry for my bad english
There is no way I would backup my personal data to Xiaomi servers. You can use the opensource QKSMS to backup your messages.

marhendray

Level 1
Nov 20, 2021
For me, I like segmenting my backup instead relying all in one solution like Google One.

a. Google Drive for work related data (pdf, docx)
b. OneDrive and MEGA as backup platform for everything inside Google Drive.

c. Samsung Cloud for Contact, SMS, and Personal Notes.
d. 2FA + Passwordless account on Microsoft Authenticator.

I never copy my instant chat messages in the cloud, I always using USB-OTG to transfer them on my new device.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Specifically for my phone, my photos are backed up to Google Photos, I don't fell the need to backup anything else on my phone.

( All my photos are backed up to Sync, Google Drive and 2 portable hard drives.)

Reactions: DDE_Server

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.