Status
Not open for further replies.

Parth Dhanani

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 30, 2014
Hey guys I have used Adguard but later on I came to know that ads are being downloaded and these extensions just make the ad elements invisible...

So I tried mvps host files... it works good but doesnt block all the ads

So my query is
1. Does it slow down the system or Internet?
2. Are there other lists which I can add to my host files?
3. Is there a way to uninstall it ?
$. Can I add privacy and social block lists to it?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Those tiny extensions of adblocker holds minimal resource usage and suppose not be affected for your browsing experience unless so many running from background.

Using host file that set as custom configuration means of blocking the entire connection which very effective but may cause problems for few applications redirecting to those listed websites. So for specific elements to be block those adblockers mentioned are better to use.

Privacy and social list can be done through respective subscriptions of adblockers.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hi Parth Dhanani. I have used Adguard and, more recently, uBlock. In answer to your questions,
  1. uBlock has a reputation of not slowing browsing.
  2. Right clicking the extension symbol, under -> "options" you shall find quite a large selection of subscriptions.
  3. The extension, & it's subscriptions, can be removed anytime.
$. Yes, I use -> Easy Privacy, Fanboy's Enhanced Tracking List, Fanboy's Annoyance List (this includes social blocking), and just now, as I read this thread, added MVPS Hosts!:) T/Y for mentioning it.:cool:

uBlock for Chrome -> https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/µblock/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm
" for Opera -> https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/ublock/?display=en

Last edited:
S

Sr. Normal

I started using ublock a week ago, before using Adblock .

I am more than satisfied , although I have heard very good Adguard , I will be attentive to your informations .

Parth Dhanani

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 30, 2014
Hi Parth Dhanani. I have used Adguard and, more recently, uBlock. In answer to your questions,
  1. uBlock has a reputation of not slowing browsing.
  2. Right clicking the extension symbol, under -> "options" you shall find quite a large selection of subscriptions.
  3. The extension, & it's subscriptions, can be removed anytime.
$. Yes, I use -> Easy Privacy, Fanboy's Enhanced Tracking List, Fanboy's Annoyance List (this includes social blocking), and just now, as I read this thread, added MVPS Hosts!:) T/Y for mentioning it.:cool:

uBlock for Chrome -> https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/µblock/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm
" for Opera -> https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/ublock/?display=en

For me no extension had issues with browsing performance but the problem is they use your web traffic as in data.. so what these extensions do is just remove the ads from viewing but ads are downloaded by your browsers :) And I searched for the solution ..
MVPS host file just edits your host file and block weblinks to the ads and the wont be opened at all and that allows you remove it from the whole system so no ads in Internet explorer as well and browsing would be slightly improved because these ads arent downloaded at all ;)
And u wont need 3rd party extensions as well so no more resource usage ;)

Using Adguard here and find no drawback so far :D

Yes adguard is brilliant combine it with ghostery and you are done no ads no privacy issues as well ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.