Open MalwareTips from your Home Screen or desktop. Follow discussions, find answers and pick up where you left off.
If you cannot find an install option, update your browser or use its bookmark option to keep MalwareTips close.
After installation, open the app and sign in. Enable push notifications in Preferences if you want alerts. On iPhone and iPad, push requires a Home Screen web app and iOS or iPadOS 16.4 or later.
Sign in to manage notificationsInstallation is optional. Your notification settings stay under your control.
What might get borked if I apply this "no language" tweak, besides powershell becoming useless?
That is how smart people exploit the problem to solve another one.I discovered another way to block powershell scripts.
In Creators Update, there is a bug with the rendering of non-Unicode scripts.
So if you change your system locale to a non-Roman character set, such as Hebrew, then powershell can't even get a path. It becomes pitifully useless.
They say they are trying to fix it, so I guess it is a bug.That is how smart people exploit the problem to solve another one.
Edit.
Maybe it is not a bug, but the new Microsoft mitigation?![]()
I think so. It is a long shot, but maybe the problem with your fonts is related to blocking untrusted fonts mitigation? It should not, but who knows?They say they are trying to fix it, so I guess it is a bug.
Right roflIt's fun searching for the PowerShell infos - innit ?
It is so much fun that I would rather set "No Language" mode and risk borking the system. Clean installing the OS is a whole lot faster than finding PowerShell infos that make sense.
Not a long shot, in fact, I also thought like that, at first.I think so. It is a long shot, but maybe the problem with your fonts is related to blocking untrusted fonts mitigation? It should not, but who knows?
Yes, they do, so I run a removal script every day to make sure it stays that way. I use this:If you take ownership of the powershell files, then you can simply delete them or rename them. This should work on any version of Windows. But they might come back after a Windows update.
takeown /f "%ProgramFiles%\WindowsPowerShell" /a /r /d y
icacls "%ProgramFiles%\WindowsPowerShell" /inheritance:r /grant:r Administrators:(OI)(CI)F /t /c
rd "%ProgramFiles%\WindowsPowerShell" /s /q
takeown /f "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\WindowsPowerShell" /a /r /d y
icacls "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\WindowsPowerShell" /inheritance:r /grant:r Administrators:(OI)(CI)F /t /c
rd "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\WindowsPowerShell" /s /q
takeown /f "%WinDir%\System32\WindowsPowerShell" /a /r /d y
icacls "%WinDir%\System32\WindowsPowerShell" /inheritance:r /grant:r Administrators:(OI)(CI)F /t /c
rd "%WinDir%\System32\WindowsPowerShell" /s /q
takeown /f "%WinDir%\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell" /a /r /d y
icacls "%WinDir%\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell" /inheritance:r /grant:r Administrators:(OI)(CI)F /t /c
rd "%WinDir%\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell" /s /q
Yes, they do, so I run a removal script every day to make sure it stays that way. I use this:
Code:takeown /f "%ProgramFiles%\WindowsPowerShell" /a /r /d y icacls "%ProgramFiles%\WindowsPowerShell" /inheritance:r /grant:r Administrators:(OI)(CI)F /t /c rd "%ProgramFiles%\WindowsPowerShell" /s /q takeown /f "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\WindowsPowerShell" /a /r /d y icacls "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\WindowsPowerShell" /inheritance:r /grant:r Administrators:(OI)(CI)F /t /c rd "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\WindowsPowerShell" /s /q takeown /f "%WinDir%\System32\WindowsPowerShell" /a /r /d y icacls "%WinDir%\System32\WindowsPowerShell" /inheritance:r /grant:r Administrators:(OI)(CI)F /t /c rd "%WinDir%\System32\WindowsPowerShell" /s /q takeown /f "%WinDir%\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell" /a /r /d y icacls "%WinDir%\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell" /inheritance:r /grant:r Administrators:(OI)(CI)F /t /c rd "%WinDir%\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell" /s /q
PowerShell v6.1.0 preview 1 : PowerShell v6.1.0 preview 1 | Richard Siddaway's BlogYes, but *.ps1 files can still execute that can do malicious things.
Yes, PowerShell documentation suxx !
PowerShell v6.1.0 preview 1 : PowerShell v6.1.0 preview 1 | Richard Siddaway's Blog
Published March 28, 2018
The first preview release of PowerShell v6.1 is available at PowerShell/PowerShell
There are a few breaking changes you should check out.
Most of the changes are minor engine updates and bug fixes.
There are no big new features in this preview release
Richard Siddaway blog: blogs.msmvps.com/RichardSiddaway/: Richard Siddaway's Blog
Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes