How do you setup your new Windows 10 Installation?

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
Hello, guys!

I am about to get a brand new PC, I would like to hear opinions and experiences. AND PLEASE - DO NOT HESITATE TO SHARE YOUR OPINIONS - so we can have a fruitful discussion!

I would like to try this approach:

Combined with this:

Do you think that's a good idea? I know (pretty much) what I am doing, I am slightly advanced user. I want to get OPTIMAL balance between SECURITY, PRIVACY and USABILITY. I am just a gamer that values his privacy and wants to have properly configured setup. That's all :)

Let the discussion begin.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Install and forget with a Microsoft account because I live in the 21st century.

Don't use any "telemetry-blocking" apps.

Most importantly, turn off any smart services that are not needed. Perma-deleting core services is not recommended no matter how smart you are in security.

Fixed typo.

Last edited:

permar4

Level 1
Verified
Jul 23, 2017
Install and forget with a Microsoft account because I live in the 21st century.

Don't use any "telemetry-blocking" apps.

Most importantly, turn off any smart services that are not needed. Perms-deleting core services is not recommended no matter how smart you are in security.
Why do you recommend not block the telemetry with for example 0&0 shutdown?

Reactions: RXZ6Q and Nevi

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Easy Service Optimizer v1.2 On Version 1909 it worked nicely for me month ago. (Better check after doing an backup first)
And I'm done. O&O recommended settings shouldn't break anything.
Atleast that will be my approch in march when I plan a complete new install if the upgrade from 1909 to 20XX fails :D

Last edited:
May 14, 2020
Use local account during OOBE but only because I can actually choose my own Users folder username and so that I can get through the OOBE faster. Uninstall unwanted apps, and run Windows Update. No messing with any "debloaters" or "privacy" scripts. And finally connect local account to MS account.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Do you think that's a good idea?
No. There is no such setting as all in one for all, unless you intend to disable everything completely crippling Windows and all its services. For example, you can not get Weather app working without Location. Defender and Windows Updates are also very touchy and once you get rid of MS Store, you can not get it back without a reinstall.

As far as the video goes, when I saw: Disable Windows Updates and Firewall, I stopped watching. I expected Disabled Defender, click on a link and enjoy ransomware.

But you are going to try it anyway, so before applying any tweaks, always backup!

Basically I do this. DO NOT just download and run, it is for preview, download and edit or use a google account for preview.
I used pastebin, but it was taken down after 90 thousand downloads, someone complained, that it was too effective.

Microsoft Defender Disable (only use, when 3rd party AV is installed)
Windows Setup 1
Windows Setup 2
Windows Tweaks

And this is the result:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 190
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Because it's nonsense. Their is no need cripple down your system to such level which only end in problems and error reporting so you stay on your problems.
Microsoft list every connection they list + provide a privacy police. Did that and config your system to your need without any tools as Windows itself provide you such configuration already.

Personally i even enable enchanted telemetry, Andy also do too.

Hello, guys!

I am about to get a brand new PC, I would like to hear opinions and experiences. AND PLEASE - DO NOT HESITATE TO SHARE YOUR OPINIONS - so we can have a fruitful discussion!

I would like to try this approach:

Combined with this:

Do you think that's a good idea?

Definitely not.
First video do stuff like enable High Performance Power Settings which disable all your power saving stuff or disable Indexing which slow down your whole search.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The same reason I don't use any registry cleaners, RAM cleaners and Internet boosters.

You can DYOR into it, but I tend to steer clear of crapware.

Keypoints:
  • Telemetry is not evil.
  • Diagnostic data is what helps developers fix problems.
  • Troubleshooting cannot be fixed without feedback.
  • Blocking domains will prevent Windows Updates from functioning correctly.
Check responses by others for more reasons.

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
Regardless on how you decide you want to customize/setup your new Windows PC, I suggest you follow this when you power on your PC for the first time:
  1. Go through the OOBE setup (Local or Microsoft account is your decision; I personally prefer a local account).
  2. Once you get to your desktop screen, install Macrium Reflect Free (or any backup software of your choice).
    1. I usually have the latest version of Macrium Reflect Free on a USB so I don't have to open up a web browser on a new install.
  3. Make a full system image backup of your PC.
Doing this gives you a clean factory image of your PC. No matter what changes you implement after, you will always be able to restore your PC back to the factory image. Keep this image for safe keeping.

I personally am no longer a fan of telemetry blocking programs or debloating scripts. I've used them in the past. They usually cause problems down the road (e.g., failed Windows updates) and are a pain to troubleshoot.

You can limit telemetry/increase your privacy using Window's built-in settings to a degree:

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
Why not using the Windows internal "Reset" feature?
The internal "Reset" feature works too.

I just recommend starting off with a third-party backup program since I assume more full image backups (with installed programs and custom settings included) will be made. Learning how to backup and restore from the beginning using the backup program of their choice will help users become more familiar with the program.

I was a big fan of the legacy system image tool (labeled 'Backup and Restore (Windows 7)' ) that was included in Windows 10. Since it is being depreciated and may be gone entirely in the future, I can no longer recommend others using it.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.