Question How does Avast Https scanning works?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Azazel

Level 5
Thread author
Jun 15, 2023
I found it, much faster than Kaspersky. Is there a Technical guide on how it is achieved?
I know from previous members conversations that it uses a different mechanism than Root Certificate.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Yes, Avast utilizes a different mechanism for HTTPS scanning compared to traditional root certificate-based approaches. Instead of intercepting and decrypting the HTTPS traffic using a root certificate, Avast uses a technology called "TLS/SSL scanning" or "HTTPS scanning" to inspect the encrypted traffic without breaking the encryption.

Here's a technical overview of how Avast's HTTPS scanning works:

1. When you access a website using HTTPS, your browser initiates a secure connection with the web server. The server responds by sending its SSL/TLS certificate to your browser.

2. Avast intercepts this certificate and creates a new one on the fly, signed by Avast's own root certificate. This is known as a "man-in-the-middle" (MITM) technique.

3. Avast's root certificate is already installed on your computer as part of the Avast antivirus software. This allows Avast to generate a new certificate that appears valid to your browser.

4. Avast establishes a separate secure connection with the web server on your behalf, using the original certificate from the server.

5. Avast acts as a proxy between your browser and the web server. It decrypts the HTTPS traffic coming from the server using the original certificate, inspects the contents, and then re-encrypts it using Avast's own certificate.

6. The re-encrypted traffic is then sent back to your browser, which decrypts it using Avast's root certificate, making it appear as if the secure connection is established directly with the web server.

7. Avast scans the decrypted content for any potential threats, such as malware or phishing attempts. If a threat is detected, Avast can block the connection and notify you.

It's important to note that Avast's HTTPS scanning is designed to enhance your security by inspecting the encrypted traffic for potential threats. However, some users may have concerns about the privacy implications of this method, as it involves intercepting and decrypting the HTTPS traffic. Avast has implemented measures to protect user privacy, such as anonymizing the data and using secure connections for communication between the Avast software and its servers.

Overall, Avast's HTTPS scanning provides an additional layer of security by inspecting encrypted traffic without relying on root certificates.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
It's not how it is used. This is the old method.
The new method has something to do with SSLKeyLogFile.
That's the only write-up I could find about it online. The only other place I'd think about looking is the help file created during Avast's installation, though I'm not confident it'll contain any technical details.

Reactions: brambedkar59

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Here's an explanation of this method. I don't know if you're looking for a more in-depth explanation, but I agree that Avast's approach is significantly faster in my experience also.
Actually, Chrome, Edge and Firefox are three browsers where Avast use this method. On Brave, (Probably Opera also) Avast use the typical root certificate method used by other products that you're aware of. I have actually compared the speed difference between this two method of Avast side by side on Chrome & Edge vs Brave and browsing speed of SSLKeyLogFile method was faster every single time on every page. I don't know if there is any downside of this method as I wonder if it's faster then how come other products haven't taken this approach yet? There must be some reason.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.