Advice Request How does Webroot have higher Market Share than Kaspersky?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Well i didn't know that graphic! Ty for showing me. But i can't help... Maybe because it's offered with other products? (example: sign with X internet provider and earn webroot av)

Reactions: DSD27

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The data in this report was generated on February 23rd, 2019 and includes data collected in the last 6 months from users of our free tools including MetaAccess
The information in this report is representative of tens of millions of data points collected from over 30,000 live endpoints and includes both corporate and home users.
:coffee:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
The graph is not about marketshare. It is about people actively running a second opinion check on their pc (endpoint). Compare this to real life: when you ask for a second opinion (e.g medical), you are unsure about the opinion or analysis of the first expert you consulted.

The only valid conclusion can be that a higher percentage of Webroot users don't trust their security product than for instance Kaspersky users.

;)

DSD27

Level 5
Thread author
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
Well i didn't know that graphic! Ty for showing me. But i can't help... Maybe because it's offered with other products? (example: sign with X internet provider and earn webroot av)
I think that's the most logical explanation, but still... Kaspersky has 3 million likes on Facebook, Webroot has 130k, that should mean something.

Muddy7

Level 2
Verified
Jun 27, 2014
Comments like:
Because people like to be scammed
and:
Because Webroot is much better than Kaspersky. If you think otherwise, you're just a hater who don't understand how it works :ROFLMAO:
only serve to reveal the mentality (and poor level of debate) of some people on this Forum.

Personally, I would never trust OPSWAT's statistics as a true reflection of world AV market sector. For a start, their scores vary so wildly from month to month that you would need to aggregate at least 12 months of results to get any kind of balanced picture (which is anyway virtually impossible as they only display the most recent month's statistics). In any case, I doubt the users they base their statistics on are a representative sample of the world AV market share. Take this post by fax, a member of another Forum:
Watch out, this statistic just cover those end users that have OPSWAT free tool installed on their PC. Its likely covering only English language users but they claim that it is representative based on "the wide accessibility of our free tools". I could not find the user base of their free tool (i.e. not promising).
Wilders Security — Webroot SecureAnywhere Discussion & Update Thread
:D
Interestingly, he was reacting to a post made by Umbra, referring to another month's statistics from OPSWAT in which Webroot's market sector was incidentally pretty unimpressive.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
only serve to reveal the mentality (and poor level of debate) of some people on this Forum.
Well it is (seemingly) impossible to have reasoned debate with die hard Webroot fans. As a result, I gave up trying long ago.

If anyone wants to use Webroot that's fine. I just find it curious that some Webroot fans think that there's something remarkable about how it works, when there's actually nothing remarkable about it.

Last edited:

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
Well it is (seemingly) impossible to have reasoned debate with die hard Webroot fans. As a result, I gave up trying long ago.

If anyone wants to use Webroot that's fine. I just find it curious that some Webroot fans think that there's something remarkable about how it works, when there's actually nothing remarkable about it.
I have a free license for WR, yet I prefer WD. I haven't had any malware with either product (according to second-opinion scans), but WR gave me too many inscrutable false positives, requiring me to whitelist a dozen or more dlls individually if I wanted to run lesser-used software like Seamonkey or Pale Moon. After all that, WR often failed to keep the whitelist settings, forcing me to redo it every few days. I even submitted samples for whitelisting to no avail.

misterman2100

Level 2
Verified
Dec 3, 2018
As stated in another thread, Webroot's marketing department pushes their narrative fairly well. Once they are confronted with a known truth about their software, they seem to clam up or refer to a study for x-amount of years ago. Well, that was then and this is now. MSPs often used Webroot due to its cheap licensing, being extremely light in resources, and just ticking the box. MSPs, however, seem to be coming to their senses about this truth, which, I believe will lead to a lower market share. (As an aside, Best Buy seems to have veered away from recommending Webroot and offering it with a 6 month trial, maybe leading to a greater market share.)

Kaspersky, despite the brouhaha from the NSA ordeal, has evolved as a company and improved their software. I give props to Eugene Kaspersky for his corporate glasnost - I guess that's the most appropriate word - and I personally have enjoyed Kaspersky software. I think the smear campaign against Kaspersky punched below the belt and probably made it off-putting for millions of consumers.

All in all, Webroot is not surprising with their market share. What is surprising is the fiery virulence with which people defend Webroot. It's software, you should be critical of it since no criticism leads to complacency and that ultimately leads to failure. I do hope OpenText makes the necessary changes for Webroot to properly flourish in the near future. Until that point, my better judgement insists that I do not install it on any device nor recommend Webroot.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.