Advice Request How fast do Chromium based browsers follow Google's Chrome updates/releases?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
The only way to fight or confirm impressions or hearsay is by factual data. Therefore I am asking forum members using a Chromium based browser (.e.g Edge, Brave, Opera, Vivaldi, Woolyss Chromium, Ungoogled, etc) to post when they receive an update which contains the security updates of Google's Chrome's latest.

To kick off with latest thread from MalwareTips Bot

May 20, 2020 Google Chrome 83.0.4103.61 has been released

When you use a different Chromium based browser please post when you received this update also

P.S.
For data gathering one confirmation per browser would be sufficient. When the mods also think this information ads value to the Browsers & Extension forum section, please make it a sticky. When this thread becomes a sticky (and members keep this a clean thread, with limited off topic posts) I promise to collect the data and publish it in a spreadsheets to monitor the update delay of different Chromium variants.

1589958955253.png

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Gandalf, thanks

I could not find 'Secure DNS lookups' as an option in edge://flags. Then I realized, I had set group policies for edge with regedit (option only available in flags for Edge instanced not controlled by group policy), so I added it manually with regedit.
1591085527467.png

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
@Lenny_Fox You may would like to keep both Vivaldi and Yandex on your table, @Moonhorse mentioned Vivaldi, quotes below:
Vivaldi usually installs security updates on same day than google chrome, but when it comes to new version like 83 in this case, snapshot of vivaldi is at 83 currently and there is no rush to update stable to 83 as fast as possible.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Update

1591251554822.png

N.B.

Edge-chromium has code integrity guard enabled for renderer processes, meaning a (sub)process rendering a webpage can't load dll's which are not signed by Microsoft. Security aware Edge-chromium users can enable the flags #edge-de-elevate-on-launch, which de-elevates the main (broker) process when Edge-chroimium is launched with high integrity rights (system or admin), this effectively keeps the main (broker) process in a standard user (sand)box.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
@Lenny_Fox You may would like to keep both Vivaldi and Yandex on your table, @Moonhorse mentioned Vivaldi, quotes below:
Indeed, Yandex was updated several times since 83 was released. I wonder, whether they have fixed vulnerabilities themselves? It has zero changelog. :(

I have just checked and I do not even have the latest version, they keep minor updating way too often. 😅

Attachments

• capture_06042020_153854.jpg
    capture_06042020_153854.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 576

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.