Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
How Google's anti-adblocking draft affects other Chromium-based browsers
by Martin Brinkmann on June 06, 2019 in Google Chrome - 28 comments
Google is working on a new manifest for Chrome extensions that defines the capabilities that extensions have in Google Chrome.
The manifest is available as a draft currently which means that it is not set in stone. One of the changes impacts most adblocking extensions for Chrome significantly if it passes in its current state.
Google plans to limit an API that most content blockers use currently and replace it with a new API that is limited as well. Core limitations include a fixed limit for the number of blocking rules that extensions may support. Google set the limit to 30,000 in the draft; popular blocking lists have more than double the number of entries already, and that does not even take into account options to use multiple lists. Google knows about that but has not adjusted the limit since draft publication.
Google Chrome is based on Chromium code to a large extent. The changes that Google proposes could impact other Chromium-based web browsers such as Vivaldi, Opera, Brave, or the new Microsoft Edge browser as well.
The big question is this: will extensions be limited on these browsers as well if Manifest launches in its current state? There is no catch-all answer as it depends on a number of factors.
First of all, one has to realize that the change affects extension capabilities only. While the change might affect extensions in all browsers, it won't affect browsers that come with their own ad-blocking capabilities provided that users of these browsers use these already or switch to them when extensions lose the effectiveness.

Brave and Opera
brave browser interface

Brave and Opera include ad-blocking functionality by default; these will continue to work just like before regardless of the new Manifest file for extensions.
Third-party browser developers who use Chromium as the source can change the Manifest or code in the browser to change the limits or keep the old API supported.
The companies have not revealed their position on Manifest V3 if it lands in its current state.
Vivaldi
The good news is that whatever restrictions Google adds, at the end we can remove them. Our mission will always be to ensure that you have the choice.
Vivaldi published a blog post on June 4, 2019 in which it highlighted the company's stance on the matter. The company noted that Google's current proposal would limit ad-blocking, privacy, and security extensions significantly. It made it clear that it would try and find ways around the limitations, e.g. by restoring the old API if possible, or even implementing a limited extensions store that would give extensions the capabilities that they require to work properly just like they do right now.
Vivaldi noted that Google's implementation is not final and that Google might change it or improve the capabilities of the new API to match those of the old.
Microsoft Edge (Chromium-based)
Microsoft's new web browser uses Chromium as its core and as such will impact it as well. Microsoft operates its own extension store and allows the installation of Chrome extensions next to that.
Microsoft has not responded publicly to Google's Manifest V3 draft but since the company operates its own extensions store, it is in a better position already even if Google goes ahead with the plans.
Closing Words
The proposed Manifest changes impact other Chromium-based browsers. Third-party browser makers have options to reverse or mitigate the changes, e.g. through the use of internal content blocking functionality, restoring the old API or using their own extensions store with different Manifests (besides still supporting the Chrome Web Store).
It is certainly too early to come to a definitive answer. It all depends on Google and whether the company will go forward with the changes or modify them.
Ultimately, there is still Firefox which is not based on Chromium code that users may switch to.

oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
It looks like things are still quite "up in the air" concerning G's tentative changes around extension limits. I still feel that M$ would find a way around this, and I assume that an extension like µBO would probably still work if used in Medium Mode with very trimmed filter lists. This is something I already do. (y)And in the end, there is still Firefox.

Fight the Power, brothers and sisters! :)

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
It looks like things are still quite "up in the air" concerning G's tentative changes around extension limits. I still feel that M$ would find a way around this, and I assume that an extension like µBO would probably still work if used in Medium Mode with very trimmed filter lists. This is something I already do. (y)And in the end, there is still Firefox.

Fight the Power, brothers and sisters! :)

Firefox is good stuff. I used it exclusively for quite a while in college, years ago now, and have made a return since the major changes in the last couple years. Still has some weird compatibility issues, but not like back in the day.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I don't trust Microsoft to make the move for some reason. Might have to go to Firefox again but its gonna be hard since Edge Chromium has spoiled me.
How much effective is Pi hole and similar things?

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I've already removed Chrome on my PC's & use Firefox, I like Chrome but to be honest I'm now very happy using FF & will not return to Chrome whatever they do. When Edge is final I shall consider whether it's my default browser or not. I have always had reservations about some aspects of Chrome & this was the catalyst to move me to abandon them move from Chrome for good.

Last edited:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I don't trust Microsoft to make the move for some reason. Might have to go to Firefox again but its gonna be hard since Edge Chromium has spoiled me.
How much effective is Pi hole and similar things?

It is good enough for most content, but it lacks cosmetic filtering and may have some problems with more advanced ads, anti adblockers scripts and embedded video ads.

Personally I think it isnt ideal and cant replace properly adblocking done by extensions like uBlock Origin or software like AdGuard Premium.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
What about Adguard desktop application ?? it has an integrated extension for this browser??
if this limitation occur i will be considering switch back to Mozilla firefox after about 4 year of chrome usage.
that is why i hate google control everything and it encourages the developer to use their platforms until it has a large user number and market share then it applies its conditions as it did with hawawy by prevent android support.
it is known that decision will reflect in any browser based on it source code (which are many and have a large user base) so user may be obliged to accept them with ads
that why i respect Mozila until know and think to revert back to it
that the benefit of competence it is the last browser with it is own engine and privacy respect

Last edited:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
What about Adguard desktop application ?? it has an integrated extension for this browser??
if this limitation occur i will be considering switch back to Mozilla firefox after about 4 year of chrome usage.
that is shy i hate google control on everything and it encourage developer to use their platform until it has a large user number and market share then it applies its conditions as it did with hawawy by prevent android support.
it is known that decision will reflect in any browser based on it source code (which are many and have a large user base) so user may be obliged to accept them with ads
that why i respect Mozila until know and think to revert back to it
that the benefit of competence it is the last browser with it is own engine and privacy respect

AdGuard Premium (desktop software) doesnt need to have extensions to do its job properly (and its works with every browser out there), but you can use the browser extension in the integration mode.

If you want to keep using a Chromium browser, just use Brave, it wont be affected by this change.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
AdGuard Premium (desktop software) doesnt need to have extensions to do its job properly (and its works with every browser out there), but you can use the browser extension in the integration mode.

If you want to keep using a Chromium browser, just use Brave, it wont be affected by this change.

yes i already use it in integration mode
so the browser which will be affected only is chrome browser ??

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
but it will be pain in the ass to sacrifice synchronization in google chrome which reduces a lot of hassle :cry::cry:

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
yes i already use it in integration mode
so the browser which will be affected only is chrome browser ??

No, all Chromium browsers that specifically dont change Manifest v3 and keep the old API supported will be affected, for know we know that Brave and Vivaldi will keep the support for ad blockers.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
It is good enough for most content, but it lacks cosmetic filtering and may have some problems with more advanced ads, anti adblockers scripts and embedded video ads.

Personally I think it isnt ideal and cant replace properly adblocking done by extensions like uBlock Origin or software like AdGuard Premium.
Does pi hole block the same amount as hosts files or can it block more?

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
but it will be pain in the ass to sacrifice synchronization in google chrome which reduces a lot of hassle :cry::cry:
Google know that, & IMHO it should not be forgotten who Google are & how they continue to amass their fortune which basically is data harvesting. Personally I feel Google & there friends are going to far & if you start blocking Google it's never ending & almost all sites break to some degree (including this one) :eek: Of course it's our choices....

Last edited:

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I reinstalled Firefox but with Google search engine. Chrome is still on my PC but I use it less and less. On my Iphone, my browsers of choice are Safari and Firefox Focus. But I won't replace Gmail and Google Photos. For sync between dfiferent systems, Google is hard to beat.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.