Battle How 'hardened' is Kicksecure? Thoughts...

Compare list
Whonix, TAILS, Kicksecure
Platform(s)
  1. Linux

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Hi all,

Playing with Whonix, TAILS and now Kicksecure. My brain is overloaded with information so I was hoping for some objective external opinions.

I can run TAILS and Kicksecure live, or Whonix and Kicksecure via Virtual Box. The major difference being TOR for Whonix/TAILS or Clearnet for Kicksecure(by default).

All offer a 'hardened' version of FF out-of-the-box.

Any thoughts folks...?

Cheers.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hi there!

It's great to see that you're exploring different privacy-focused operating systems like Whonix, TAILS, and Kicksecure. Each of these options has its own strengths and weaknesses, so it ultimately depends on your specific needs and preferences.

Whonix and TAILS are both designed to provide strong anonymity and privacy by routing all internet traffic through the Tor network. This can be beneficial if you want to ensure that your online activities are completely anonymous. However, it's worth noting that using Tor can sometimes result in slower internet speeds due to the additional network hops.

On the other hand, Kicksecure focuses on hardening the security of the underlying operating system itself. It doesn't automatically route all traffic through Tor, but it does come with a hardened version of Firefox out of the box. This can be useful if you want to use the regular internet while still benefiting from the security enhancements provided by Kicksecure.

If you're looking for a more isolated and secure environment, running Whonix or TAILS in a virtual machine (such as VirtualBox) can be a good option. This allows you to keep your host operating system separate from the privacy-focused OS, providing an extra layer of security.

Ultimately, the choice between Whonix, TAILS, and Kicksecure depends on your specific needs and threat model. If you prioritize anonymity and don't mind the potential performance impact, Whonix or TAILS might be the way to go. On the other hand, if you want a hardened operating system that still allows you to use the regular internet, Kicksecure could be a good fit.

I hope this helps you make an informed decision. Let me know if you have any further questions!

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
well thanks, I was unaware of Kicksecure. without knowing more, Kicksecure with a good vpn would be secure and anonymous, yes? Just went to Kicksecure website, so more to read.
I have Zorin Pro 16 on VM that is ripe to be updated to v17. I've having good luck and ease of operation with Zorin in VMware. But now interested in putting Kicksecure in VMware. I see references to VirtualBox. So I have to read a little before I fumble into this.

Reactions: MuzzMelbourne

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Kicksecure specifically mentions or has installation for VirtualBox but not for VMware. Also say .iso is coming which is how I install Guest OS on VMware, so I'll wait for the .iso

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
I see references to VirtualBox. So I have to read a little before I fumble into this.
Haha...

I'm in the opposite position.

I want to set-up a dedicated Qubes box with my 12 Core Xeon MacPro with 48GB RAM, problem is the need for Intel Vtx(?) which old Intel hardware is lacking.

VirtualBox won't cut it, but VMware apparently does run on Xeon Westmere processor's as a Type-2 Hypervisor and, according to Qubes blurb, should be able to run the Qubes OS Type-1 HV.

With 24 threads of CPU's with 48 gigs it should run multiple VM's nicely, but first I need to play with VMware.

Exciting times indeed.

• Hundred Points
Reactions: simmerskool

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Virtualbox runs Kicksecure and Whonix at a doddle.

That "ISO is coming" is ancient, so I'd jump in with VirtualBox..

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Haha...

I'm in the opposite position.

I want to set-up a dedicated Qubes box with my 12 Core Xeon MacPro with 48GB RAM, problem is the need for Intel Vtx(?) which old Intel hardware is lacking.

VirtualBox won't cut it, but VMware apparently does run on Xeon Westmere processor's as a Type-2 Hypervisor and, according to Qubes blurb, should be able to run the Qubes OS Type-1 HV.

With 24 threads of CPU's with 48 gigs it should run multiple VM's nicely, but first I need to play with VMware.

Exciting times indeed.
Older hardware here, a 6 core Xeon with 96 gb RAM, still computes nicely here. I have paid VMware Workstation but v16.2.5. So far no need to upgrade VMw to v17. Sounds like you're deeper into VM than me. VMware has been great for me. I have never tried Qubes, I recall looking at it, and then doing nothing but don't recall why, so I will look again :ROFLMAO::geek:

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
I have never tried Qubes, I recall looking at it, and then doing nothing but don't recall why, so I will look again :ROFLMAO::geek:

Very resource hungry apparently, as you would expect running a minimum of 5 VM's to function.

My understanding is that Qubes is based on/built from Kicksecure, with a few tweaks.

I've only had Kicksecure for a couple days but I like it so far. Being in a VM, Its a mid-point between open clearnet and TOR, especially on a already hardened Linux host OS.

• Thanks
Reactions: simmerskool

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Nice! I have the 5,1 dual Xeon MacPro.

Just found this little bombshell...

I suspect that screws my plans. Any thoughts?
more thank I know about (if you were asking me :ROFLMAO:) I did read enough at Qubes to see it's meant or intended to install on hardware. If I was a little younger I'd consider getting a Qubes hardware certified computer, but for me now, that seems like overkill. Enjoy your MacPro!

• HaHa

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Very resource hungry apparently, as you would expect running a minimum of 5 VM's to function.

My understanding is that Qubes is based on/built from Kicksecure, with a few tweaks.

I've only had Kicksecure for a couple days but I like it so far. Being in a VM, Its a mid-point between open clearnet and TOR, especially on a already hardened Linux host OS.
Thanks I will spend some more time looking at / learning about Kicksecure & watching for its .iso release.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.