How I got infected last time thread

Discussion in 'General Security Discussions' started by Soulweave, Mar 25, 2016.

1. insanity

insanity Level 4

Oct 9, 2016
    somewhere
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Back in 2010 I used to work on my projects, assignments and access my email account from shared computers. A certain day I realised my Hotmail (email) inbox, drafts and sent box were full of copies of a message, which had an attachment containing a virus. Most of my email contacts have also received a copy of the message sent from my account. I can't say precisely if my account was invaded by an individual or if it that was the result of a virus. I don't know if this could be classified as an infection but that was my last relevant incident I can remember.

2. mrwhoopee

mrwhoopee Level 1

Mar 7, 2014
    Just a few weeks ago I was looking for a portable version of some forgotten software. Found a link claiming to offer same. Even though the site and the file name contained .RU, and I knew it was risky, I gave it a try. I was even too lazy to go upstairs and test it in a VM. Of course, the next thing I knew, my browser and search engine were speaking Russian. :eek:Spent the next few hours undoing everything. Fortunately the damage was limited to browser and search hijacks, but they were creatively executed and it took a while to sort it out. I didn't even get the portable I was looking for.:(

3. Weebarra

Weebarra Level 7

Apr 5, 2017
    Somewhere in Scottieland
    Windows 7
    Kaspersky
    I was stupidly watching football (not legally i am ashamed to admit) and only the Good Lord above knows what i did but i had browser hijackers, all sorts of adware and other crappy stuff on my pc. I didn't know how to deal with it and contacted Microsoft to try and sort it out, i was only using free antivirus so once it was sorted i stopped watching footie illegally and got myself some half decent security (i hope) lesson learnt for me

4. WinXPert

WinXPert Level 23
    Trusted AV Tester

Jan 9, 2013
    Graphic Artist
    Manila
    Windows 7
    Emsisoft
    Mine was last year. Someone was asking help in removing rotinom. Since he can't provide a sample, I tested my archived sample "live" on my netbook. Rotinom is easy to remove manually even if you don't have an AV but this damn sample is infected with sality. I did clean the PC but some files got corrupted beyond repair so I end up restoring my system from an old image. Moral of the story, remember that if you play with fire you get burned.

Use all precautions to protect yourself like using custom extensions with my installers. I do that as a precaution in case I'll be disinfecting sality (which is still prevalent here).

5. sithlordadler

sithlordadler Level 1

Jun 27, 2015
    USA
    Windows 10
    Comodo
    My first major infection was a fake antivirus trojan. I was younger and didn't know what it was at the time. Took a while to get rid of that bugger once I learned what a rouge AV is.:confused: My last one was probably a browser hijacker, that randomly appeared on my PC out of nowhere called mysearchdial. Even then that was a while ago and I still am extremely paranoid even today with what is out there. Human errors are inevitable though.

6. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    One time , 20+ years ago, when i got my first PC, it was in fact a PUP (but the term didn't existed yet ) detected by my AV, then i start digging about security and here i am.

7. Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2 Level 37
    Trusted

Dec 4, 2013
    Southern California (east of Los Angeles)
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    Umbra was incurably :eek:infected with knowledge,:rolleyes: ..lots & lots of it!o_O
    Fortunately, for all the rest of us, it was/is (by nature) highly contagious!!!:D:D :cool:

8. Spawn

Spawn Administrator
    Staff Member Content Creator

Jan 8, 2011
    You mean you're the infection that affects PUP/PUA?

9. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    yes , they mutated and more discreet because of me :p

10. Winter Soldier

Winter Soldier Level 25

Feb 13, 2017
    PLC programmer - Robotics industry
    Wormhole
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Thanks for sharing your experiences :)

I got infected many years ago.
    I was using Windows XP and a 56K dial up connection... downloading a free game, a dialer changed the phone number of my ISP to a very expensive international prefix.
    I don't remember which AV I was using (or if I used an AV :oops::rolleyes:).
    The surprise came with the phone invoice :D:eek:

11. Arrabida Rock

Arrabida Rock Level 3

Apr 2, 2016
    Portinho da Arrábida
    Windows 10
    Overall, health first...:)

12. ctrlz

ctrlz Level 2

Mar 20, 2017
    italy
    Never been infected.
    Anyway a month ago I installed CIS and, after few days, a strange popup from Internet Security Essentials appeared.
    I thought to have been infected by a fake av since I've never choose to install it and the alert was quite vague/non-sense, then I formatted the pc (google is pretty useless if you search Internet Security Essentials).
    After few days, I found out that it was installed automatically by Comodo for MITM protection :mad:

upload_2017-5-3_21-16-57.png

13. shmu26

shmu26 Level 53

Jul 3, 2015
    Utopia
    It used to be very easy to get infected. Your kid brought home a USB drive from school, and bam, it's all over.

14. Deletedmessiah

Deletedmessiah Level 15

Jan 16, 2017
    SSD
    Windows 8.1
    Emsisoft
    If PUP counts, I was infected 4 years ago. I installed some video downloader, it installed bunch of craps and browser toolbars. Could not uninstall some of them. Malwarebytes Anti Malware and Adwcleaner removed them. Took time to find out about these software as I was tech noob back then.

15. Transhumana

Transhumana Level 5

Jul 6, 2017
    Croatia
    Windows 10
    Well, it seems that HitmanPro suddenly started detecting uTorrent on my laptop as malware. :eek: After initial shock of seeing "threats detected" scan result after so many years of not getting infected, I checked hashes on virus total and it seems it might have been false positive. But still, I uninstalled the program, deleted everything and scanned again. Avast Full Virus Scan, JRT, AdwCleaner, HitmanPro and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan results were all completely clean so I'm slowly starting to leave the paranoid mode. :oops:

16. Hadden

Hadden Level 2

Oct 18, 2015
    Italy
    Windows 10
    Panda
    #56 Hadden, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Simply opened a doubt installer with security off.
    And I was almost sure was infected.
    Quite masochist, I've to admit it :D
    Just some nasty adware, but I get rid of them.

I always scan ed2k/torrents/attachments, they could have very nasty files inside ^^,
    Severe infections belong to xp era :3
    And yes, don't download anything from softonic :D

17. WinXPert

WinXPert Level 23
    Trusted AV Tester

Jan 9, 2013
    Graphic Artist
    Manila
    Windows 7
    Emsisoft
    Last one was testing Brontok worm. Comodo's auto containment was Disabled. Windows Defender didn't do anything to stop the worm. Tada! Infected. That was last week.

18. RoboMan

RoboMan Level 17
    Content Creator

Jun 24, 2016
    USA
    Windows 10
    ESET
    Many many years ago when i was not aware of security, i downloaded a bot to play for me on Runescape (online game) and i got my passwords stolen. Betrayed by my own brothers...

19. XhenEd

XhenEd Level 27
    Content Creator Trusted

Mar 1, 2014
    Philippines
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    My first and last infection was when I downloaded and installed a fake AV. I was still naive that time, you know. :D I only noticed that my laptop was infected because I couldn't click and go anywhere except the screen of the fake AV. I had Avast installed that time, but Avast was silent. But it was weird because Avast detected and deleted it when I ran a boot-time scan. :D

20. Maxwell Sien

Maxwell Sien Level 2

Nov 15, 2016
    Indonesia
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    Many years ago. I never faced PUP and Adware before. I never suspect a Installer, so I ran it without using Sandbox (to analyse it first).
    After that, my homepage change to istartsurf.com :D