How I got infected last time thread

Discussion in 'General Security Discussions' started by Soulweave, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Transhumana

Transhumana Level 5

Jul 6, 2017
    Croatia
    Windows 10
    This reminds me of my first and last big infection - delightful rogue Antivirus 2009. :D It managed to squeeze its way through somehow and stay unnoticed by (to be honest, who knows when last time updated) Bitdefender and ZoneAlarm. I had almost zero knowledge on malware or security at the time and all my efforts to make my AV do something against this nasty bugger were useless. Luckily, Malwarebytes saved the day and made my PC usable again. :)

2. rockstarrocks

rockstarrocks Level 14

Apr 16, 2017
    Civil Engineer
    Delhi>India>Asia>Earth>S.S.>Milky way>Our Universe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Had avast installed on my pc when I put my friend's USB flash drive in lappy and got infected. It was one of those irritating shortcut malwares. After that day I started using MS security essentials and blocking autorun.

3. Windows_Security

Windows_Security Level 13
    Content Creator Trusted

Mar 13, 2016
    Holland
    Windows 7
    Default-Deny
    I got infected by updating CCleaner :-( and because I was one the unlucky people having Swedish text in my Dutch Outlook 2007 (after windows/office update) I lowered all protections trying to figure out what the heck had gone wrong with my Outlook 2007. I am home from nice Canada holiday and the first thing what I am going to do is an image restore.

I know that the chance of winning the lottery twice is very small, and after incidents all processes are updated and improved, so rationally I should reinstall CCleaner, emotionally I am still doubting (have downloaded both latest CCleaner and Wise 365 care but not installed one of them yet).

Der.Reisende, vemn, Umbra and 5 others like this.
  4. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    That was very unlucky !

Der.Reisende, vemn, XhenEd and 2 others like this.
  5. SecretKeeper

SecretKeeper Level 3

Dec 25, 2015
    England
    Windows 10
    Avast
    I was young, I'd say about 7 or 8. I somehow managed to download Zango, I don't remember how I got to it, but I downloaded and Installed it. To those who don't know what Zango is, it's basically adware. Some ads were safe, whereas others were malicious.

AVG, at the time, didn't pick up on it so I immediately thought it was safe to use and run. Until my PC (baring in mind, it was the family one), began to crawl and crash continuously. I managed to do a scan and it detected more than I could bargain for: Viruses, Trojans, the lot. Mother had to call her friend who came over and had to reinstall the whole computer for us. o_O

Probably the first and only time I ran into malware.

roger_m and Der.Reisende like this.
  6. TheManBehindTheScreen

Dec 25, 2017
    Milton Keynes
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    Thanks for sharing this awesome forum post on how you got infected. It is sad that you lost most of your data on your D:\ drive, but I have a few tips to keep yourself from allowing an infected machine to spread its virus to your computer!

Here I go:

1. Never, ever allow an infected machine to make contacts with the internet (unplug your host machine's ethernet wire/LAN cable or disable the internet via the Network tab in settings.).
    1a. If your host machine becomes infected, do the same thing and disable internet.

2. Make sure all shared-folders are read only, or properly deleted.

3. While testing, do not plug-in any removable drive or disk drive.

4. If you are testing on a physical machine, repeat the same steps.

I hope it helped!
    If not, call me (reply to this comment).