Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
Happened last night.
  1. Downloaded 2 small executables from the Internet.
  2. I ran the first red-logo executable and the screen flashed black.
  3. It finally returned, but it was taken hostage by "FandaRansomware".
  4. I panicked. I had no backups. All was lost.
Fortuntely this was just a dream and I had not lost any data, or that "Windows Defender Antivirus" failed to detect Malware.

shmu26

Level 83
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Happened last night.
  1. Downloaded 2 small executables from the Internet.
  2. I ran the first red-logo executable and the screen flashed black.
  3. It finally returned, but it was taken hostage by "FandaRansomware".
  4. I panicked. I had no backups. All was lost.
Fortuntely this was just a dream and I had not lost any data, or that "Windows Defender Antivirus" failed to detect Malware.
Welcome to Malwaretips. :)

camo7782

Level 4
Infected twice many years ago with dial-up connection (no router) old network viruses, probably passed for windows vulnerability or open ports.

One time I had Kaspersky the other time I had ESET. Then switched to GData until this May, GData became really unstable and slowing down my PC. Run a trial of BitDefender, despite the saying it was less heavy than GData but zero support, only canned responses suggesting me to uninstall and reinstall; after weeks with an open ticket I followed the first part of the advice and get rid of it. Installed Emsisoft (Partner NFR License) + CruelComodo and paired with OSA + SH with default settings.

SFox

Level 2
I had the last serious infection 9 years ago, maybe even a little more. At the same time, I still didn’t understand where exactly the virus came from, I thought about this question for a long time, but I didn’t find the answer. All the traditional ways of the spread of viruses here have not exactly been used. About 4 years ago I decided to try myself as a tester :) I had one old laptop, on which I decided to conduct tests on a real Windows 7 system (then restore it from a clean image). Naturally, there was no important data in the system, a clean system with antivirus. There were then problems with the permanent Internet, so I connected 3G usb-modem to this computer :) 2 tests went quite well (Kaspersky and Norton), and for the third test I took Eset. And when I checked the web protection and protection against phishing, I began to go on malicious sites and so on. And it seems that Eset has blocked everything. I was already delighted, I think "that's good," and finally decided to click on the advertising banner. Clicked. 3 redirects in a row and I found myself on the site of "shocking news" (this is fake news, more like the delirium of a madman). There are no viruses, no phishing, but since I had a 3G mobile Internet, I was subscribed to this news and my account was automatically charged $ 1 for providing the service in the form of “news” and immediately gave me “news” I was really “shocked,” they wrote to me that one famous person was alive (although this person had definitely died and even showed how he was buried). I had to go to the mobile operator and delete the subscription to these "news" (payment for the news subscription is $ 1 a day), because I could not do this through the personal account of the mobile operator (the function was blocked) only through a computer in the operator’s office (when I stood in a queue at the operator’s office, half of the people in the queue were about subscriptions to these “news”, some were subscribed to a lot of such news at once, and each news cost them from $ 1 or $ 2 a day, so that for the year they lost $ 1000 and more).

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey