Advice Request How is Trend Micro 2022 doing these days?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Been using it from past 6 months, on a normal daily task run system. Seems okay

But to be frank, its signatures are very dull , seen samples missing of a week old. Its web protection however is great

Aggressive cloud protection is still at all time peak, any rare / unknown publisher gets killed right away !
Resource wise also okay, not too light, but ok. Worth a try , licenses are very cheap over here in India.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I can think of four things.
1) Highly cloud dependent, so offline signature is poor. Even worse than Microsoft Defender.
2) App launching is slow almost 24/7.
3) You can't remove quarantined items. There's a workaround that involves disabling self-defense and deleting the quarantined folder.
4) Protection level can be increased for both real time and web protection. At max level, it seems to block all apps not known to it. Don't know if it works against scripts, as I have not tested it properly.

Overall protection is pretty good, I think. I have a special license valid till 2029 (got it from a friend), but can't make up my mind to using it, mainly due to the first two points.

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
I can think of four things.
1) Highly cloud dependent, so offline signature is poor. Even worse than Microsoft Defender.
2) App launching is slow almost 24/7.
3) You can't remove quarantined items. There's a workaround that involves disabling self-defense and deleting the quarantined folder.
4) Protection level can be increased for both real time and web protection. At max level, it seems to block all apps not known to it. Don't know if it works against scripts, as I have not tested it properly.

Overall protection is pretty good, I think. I have a special license valid till 2029 (got it from a friend), but can't make up my mind to using it, mainly due to the first two points.
4) Yes, it works against scripts. In hypersensitive mode, almost everything unknown will be blocked from running, including scripts. :ROFLMAO: BTW, TM will automatically switch to hypersensitive mode after detecting certain amount of threats.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
4) Yes, it works against scripts. In hypersensitive mode, almost everything unknown will be blocked from running, including scripts. :ROFLMAO: BTW, TM will automatically switch to hypersensitive mode after detecting certain amount of threats.
Good to know.
Yeah, hypersensitive mode. Forgot the name. A former MT member contacted Trend Micro, and he was told about this automatic hypersensitive mode switch.
This is why it's not easy for amateur testers to test Trend Micro. So it's fair to say that almost all Trend Micro's dynamic tests done against a malware pack are not too accurate.

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
It has a good web protection. The ransomware protection shield is working for 99%. I tested last year several ransomware samples. Trend Micro and Kaspersky were the only one that protected my system.

Signatures are indeed poor. Detection rate is something horrible. I send multiple samples to them and months later still not included in the signatures. It has a problem with the Hitman Pro Alert. Key encryption is not working. Don't know if the exploit protection is working 100%.

The add-on for Firefox had an issue. Last time I checked, the issue was still there.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
just installed the 2022 version.
big improvement so far.
  1. Slow down between and starting app hardly there anymore
  2. memory usage lesser than for example F-Secure ( 150mb )
  3. web browsing as fast as F-Secure. No slow downs
  4. tested with malware samples and phishing pages 9-3-2022 and all were intercepted
if Trend keeps this up, kudo !

I was always secretly a fan of Trend, I keep using it and keep you guys informed.

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
just installed the 2022 version.
big improvement so far.
  1. Slow down between and starting app hardly there anymore
  2. memory usage lesser than for example F-Secure ( 150mb )
  3. web browsing as fast as F-Secure. No slow downs
  4. tested with malware samples and phishing pages 9-3-2022 and all were intercepted
if Trend keeps this up, kudo !

I was always secretly a fan of Trend, I keep using it and keep you guys informed.
I have a hate/love relation with it :p. Thanks for testing the new version.

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
Did you use the email address to send samples? If yes, then I've been informed that it doesn't work.
As far as I know, Trend Micro does not have a dedicated samples submissions system now. I usually create a service ticket and send samples to them. However they will take a long time to process and analyze, as this process is not automatic.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
The behavior blocker is very very good now, show malware name and immediately takes action.
for me faster than f-secure for now and I love f-secure.

script and BAT file blocking is impressing. this is something I mis in f-secure.

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
The behavior blocker is very very good now, show malware name and immediately takes action.
for me faster than f-secure for now and I love f-secure.

script and BAT file blocking is impressing. this is something I mis in f-secure.
Check the detection name given. If it is HEU_AEGIS_HttpDownloadChecker, your TM is now in hypersensitive mode, and blocks everything unknown. ;)

Harputlu

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2016
trend micro is a very successful antivirus. I don't like that he doesn't have a quarantine. actually, trend micro have a quarantine but I don't know if I deleted it or not.

Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.