How many GB's of data writes on your SSD per day?

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
After using my WD Black NVMe SSD for 13 days I have 1 TB of writes on the SSD and an average of 100 GB per day! Is this normal?
and how many writes on your SSD per day??
Please post your Lifetime writes and time you used the SSD? if possible?
I think 100 GB is too much per day!

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
that's way too much. You should try to reduce SSD writing by using tweaks and tools such as Tweak-SSD (totalidea)
try to find the culprit of high writing using Process Explorer -> create a new column of "I/O write bytes" -> sort
for example
Capture.PNG

you can also create a RAMdisk from 256-512MB to store your browser's cache folders (cache, media cache, code cache, GPUcache) -> clean the folder everytime you exit the browser

disable search indexing service = windows search, hibernation

Last edited:

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
that's way too much. You should try to reduce SSD writing by using tweaks and tools such as Tweak-SSD (totalidea)
try to find the culprit of high writing using Process Explorer -> create a new column of "I/O write bytes" -> sort
for example
View attachment 223278

you can also create a RAMdisk from 256-512MB to store your browser's cache folders (cache, media cache, code cache, GPUcache) -> clean the folder everytime you exit the browser

disable search indexing service = windows search, hibernation
Seems like Microsoft photos used 109 GB write bytes? what to do? and why was that?

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-09-02 230424.jpg
    Annotation 2019-09-02 230424.jpg
    576 KB · Views: 2,216

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Seems like Microsoft photos used 109 GB write bytes? what to do? and why was that?
I don't know. perhaps it indexes all photos in your PC or a bug in this app causing the issue. I did a quick search on google but still don't know why
solution 1: disable background process of microsoft photos
solution 2 (much preferred): remove/uninstall microsoft photos forever and use Windows Photo viewer (the one in windows 7)
here is how to enable Windows photo viewer
- download this - extract and run the registry file (.reg)
- right-click on any photo -> properties -> open with -> change to "windows photo viewer"

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
100 GB a day?? How do you measure the writes Is my first question. Maybe the software that does so is faulty and reports wrong numbers. Or are you streaming/recording content?
by hard disk sentinel

100 GB a day?? How do you measure the writes Is my first question. Maybe the software that does so is faulty and reports wrong numbers. Or are you streaming/recording content?
no I only browse internet not recording anything

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-09-02 232338.jpg
    Annotation 2019-09-02 232338.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 1,851

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Photos App just indexed all the photos and then cleared the cache, that's why Process Explorer recorded so many gigabytes of data. It happened initially when the Photos app detected folders with images and then read all of them. It's a natural thing at the beginning of SSD use. But, this should be monitored further (in about a month) to see if read/write still grows

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
still, the definite solution is to get rid of Microsoft photos because it will cause the same problem again the the next days perhaps after you clear caches
look at my post for the solution

windows photo viewer is x2-3 faster than Microsoft photos

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
still, the definite solution is to get rid of Microsoft photos because it will cause the same problem again the the next days
look at my post for the solution

windows photo viewer is x2-3 faster than Microsoft photos
Why process explorer shows very low amount of writes by the processes but Hard disk sentinel and Crystal disk info shows i wrote 80 GB on last 14 hours?

Reactions: Nevi and toto_10

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Why process explorer shows very low amount of writes by the processes but Hard disk sentinel and Crystal disk info shows i wrote 80 GB on last 14 hours?
Process explorer only records the values from a process after you open it. When you close it and re-open, it will start a new record

hard disk sentinel and crystal record the total write value of everything

they are different. Process explorer helps you to point out who is the culprit while crystal and sentinel only help you to know that you have high writing value without telling you who

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Uninstalling Microsoft Photos is a good but not perfect solution, because Windows 10 can install it again. The alternative solution is opening Microsoft Photos > Settings > Sources, and remove all folders which are there. This should be repeated on each account.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I have added the folder with pictures (2GB) to Microsoft Photos. the indexing has resulted with 1/3 GB disk writes. So, 800 GB disk writes would require probably about 5 TB folders with photos. :unsure:

Oten

Level 2
Verified
Mar 12, 2018
thats likely not normal, here is one of my SSD according to HD Sentinel

Transfer Rate Information
Total Data Read,"90 MB, 75.436 MB since installation (12/06/2018)"
Total Data Write,"78 MB, 70.596 MB since installation"
Average Reads Per Day,"168,01 MB"
Average Writes Per Day,"157,23 MB"
Current Transfer Rate,10 KB/s
Average Transfer Rate,180 KB/s
Maximum Transfer Rate,8.760 KB/s
Current Read Rate,0 KB/s
Current Write Rate,10 KB/s
Current Disk Activity,0 %
Average Disk Activity,"0,44 %"
Estimated Max. Transfer Rate,Larger disk utilization needed for the measurement.

Try using some softwares like SSD Fresh and Condusive Diskeeper

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.