Advice Request How many times a day you shut down your PC?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
As long as you shut down windows and not just press the power button of the computer you should be fine. After all I don't really understand why you would shut down your PC that often. I personally put my PC to power saving mode when going to work and only shut it down at night when i go to bed. You might want to do the same if you really are worried about the health of your PC :)

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I don't think too deeply. When not using for more than 1 hour, the power is often turned off:sleep:. I think that it will affect the life of the power supply unit, but I think that it is a consumable item.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
I shut it down when i go to bed

BGD69uw.jpg

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I only shut down my main laptop every few months, before blowing out dust from the cooling vent. That is the only time I ever shut it down. I put it to sleep at night and usually go for around three to five weeks between rebooting.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
My desktop is set to sleep when not in use for a while, it runs some automated tasks in the middle of the night so it doesn't interrupt anything during the day. I turn it off completely when I travel or am busy for more than a day or two. My laptop I let hibernate during the day on and off as I use it and I shut it down at night.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Best to leave it sleep at night, with the lid partially open, so Windows can wake it up to run maintenance tasks while you are sleeping. Otherwise, you force Windows to run those tasks when you might be using the computer, and that can impact performance.
Do a full restart once a day, whenever convenient for you.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Best to leave it sleep at night, with the lid partially open, so Windows can wake it up to run maintenance tasks while you are sleeping. Otherwise, you force Windows to run those tasks when you might be using the computer, and that can impact performance.
Do a full restart once a day, whenever convenient for you.
I do a full restart once a week, or after updating software. :oops:

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
As long as you shut down windows and not just press the power button of the computer you should be fine.

That is only true two decades ago. Windows since 7 (or was it Vista?) has this settings. XP actually had similar options but it didn't work very well at the time.
1597722344794.png

So it's fine to use power button to turn off your computer if you configure this settings properly. Just don't press the button for too long because it will override this function.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Due to may power outages per day I do turn off my PC TOO MANY times just to protect it from electricity damage (I have my PC connect to UPS though). I also turn off my laptop when I do need to use it for like 5 hours otherwise I just close the lid. I do restart both devices multiple times a day.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
That is only true two decades ago. Windows since 7 (or was it Vista?) has this settings. XP actually had similar options but it didn't work very well at the time.
View attachment 245343
So it's fine to use power button to turn off your computer if you configure this settings properly. Just don't press the button for too long because it will override this function.
Not when he keeps it pressed. The computer will just go off instantly without shutting down windows. Well, at least thats the case on my PC with windows 10.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.