How many times do you runs your antivirus full scan each year?

How many times do you run your antivirus full scan each year?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • 4 - 8

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • 8 - 13

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • 13 - 15

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 20+

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Never, i dont have/need an AV installed.

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
How many times do you run your antivirus full scan each year? I usually runs like 6 antivirus full scan each year, so the math is every 2 months i run a antivirus full scan.

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
since i like to format a lot (4 times per year) i dont usually run full scans, unless when the system is fresh just only to cache the files, then every month i do a quick scan in some critical areas like temp folder, sys files etc... but i dont like to waste my time in scanning a pc that i know it is most likely clean... actually just one time i got the surprise that the pc got some remanent infected files and emsisoft didnt bother to clean (since they think an innactive malware is not a hazard) but that was time ago....

Reactions: Tony Cole

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I don't run scans since I have real-time protection turn on. Hence, I vote none.

Smoke

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2014
I had Emsisoft IS up until about 2 hours ago and that would do a scan for me in in about 15 seconds so I would do scans quite often. Normally if I want to do a scan of literally everything I do it once every few months or whenever I feel something may have potentially happened/acting funny.

Reactions: Hangtooth

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Full scans usually take wayyyy too long for my computer to be constantly running them so I would only run them once a month or so. But when I run them I would also run several second opinion scanners too to make sure that everything is in order and that my AV didn't miss anything

KokoKid

Level 4
Verified
Sep 27, 2015
I run a full scan of Avast every week. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is set to take a full scan every day at 3:47 PM :) Hitman Pro is set to quick scan on boot and full scan every day :) I'm just paranoid xD

Reactions: Hangtooth

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I didn't answer as I never run a full scan. Not even once a year.

D

Deleted member 178

Add a choice in poll.

I never do any full scan. Quick scans are enough. Anyway my anti–exec and virtualization softs make sure nothing can be installed without my consent.

H

hjlbx

Add a choice in poll.

I never do any full scan. Quick scans are enough. Anyway my anti–exec and virtualization softs make sure nothing can be installed without my consent.

I used to actively malware test. I made mistakes where I left samples on my system. AV scan detected them.

On clean system not used for malware testing, I have no need.

On clean system I run manual scan once in a while - usually out of complete boredom or I just want to play with the soft and observe what happens... :p

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
I try and do full a scans at least monthly (unattended scans). Lately I have done a whole bunch of them trying to find a new AV. Thankfully it's over and am liking Avira so I am set for another year. Avira full scans take a long time but you can make them extremely thorough.

I *am* pretty old though. This practice hearkens back to the day when the only protection we had were clunky old AVs.

Last edited:

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
I run a full scan every 2 or 3 months.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Once a month - I just set that within the options, date/time and let it run. I also use Malwarebytes and HitmanPro.

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
I usually do not run a full scan but I do when I tinker on something that makes me doubt something..but that is very very rarely. For me "quick scans" are enough. But that's just me. Really depends on your behavior and how confident you are with your system.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Once in a week :p I know some will say me paranoid but I like to see my Antivirus doing some action :D
So mostly when I watch some movies or going outside , I request my Antivirus to do some exercise on my system.

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
I'm using Comodo Internet Security with custom settings, I don't see the point of scanning often. So, I scan 2-3 times per year.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.