Advice Request How often do you change the router and why do it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

What can encourage you to buy a new router? (the main reason)

• Firmware that is not updated for more than a year

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • The router is unable to cope with the increased load (freezes, turns off, few functions)

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Breakdown of router

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Vendor released a new, more modern model

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The old router is just tired, you want a new router.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I do not know what is "router" :))

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
Interested in the question about - how often do you change the router? I once read that if the firmware of your router is not updated by Vendor during the year, then you should buy a new router. The firmware of my router has not been updated for more than two years, although official support is not over. Should I urgently run to the store and buy another router? I wonder what can encourage you to change the router?

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello SFox ;)

I will change my router only if the software does not update anymore and if its support is over.

Which router do you have? I know that ASUS support is quite long (I have one with my VPN on it)

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
Hello SFox ;)

I will change my router only if the software does not update anymore and if its support is over.

Which router do you have? I know that ASUS support is quite long (I have one with my VPN on it)
I have a router from TP -Link. They rarely update budget models. I have the most budget model - for 18 $. For 2 years already there is no firmware updates. Watched on the TP-Link website, but there is information that the support of this model is not over. In principle, the device works - well, ok. But I read that if the firmware is not updated for a long time, then the router must be changed, as it becomes vulnerable. But often updated only expensive models. I do not want to buy a router for 1000 $ :LOL:

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I have a router from TP -Link. They rarely update budget models. I have the most budget model - for 18 $. For 2 years already there is no firmware updates. Watched on the TP-Link website, but there is information that the support of this model is not over. In principle, the device works - well, ok. But I read that if the firmware is not updated for a long time, then the router must be changed, as it becomes vulnerable. But often updated only expensive models. I do not want to buy a router for 1000 $ :LOL:

This is what I reproach to TP-Link, despite their product is good, very few updates....
(experience with my old router at 30€)
You have the Archer AX10 which looks good (52€ in France on Amazon) with Wifi 6, hoping that your connection follows (fiber or VDSL)

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Interested in the question about - how often do you change the router? I once read that if the firmware of your router is not updated by Vendor during the year, then you should buy a new router. The firmware of my router has not been updated for more than two years, although official support is not over. Should I urgently run to the store and buy another router? I wonder what can encourage you to change the router?
If you want software updates every two months or so try any MIKROTIK (MikroTik) routers and the support is virtually a lifetime (of the router). Most of their routers have an MTBF of 11Years so that's a pretty long time. I have a HAP Ac of Mikrotik and it receives firmware updates every two months or so and its dam stable, no reboots no hiccups, just runs.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
I'm a large fan of ASUS routers. Quite a few brands out there honestly.

I'm using this one currently: RT-AX88U|WiFi Routers|ASUS USA

This does cost a pretty penny, but a ton of features on it. You can really lock this bad boy down good too. Firmware is updated regularly with ASUS. They make a beefier version of that, but honestly this should do well in most households. I have some CISCO enterprise true enterprise grade routers that are great. TP-Link isn't bad either, but as you will notice they don't tend to patch their stuff very often depending on the make/model sold from TP-Link.

~Brian

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I also have gone back to my third ASUS. They have long support for popular models, and those are the solid ones that last. Usually I update a router to take advantage of new features if I will actually benefit from them.

Reactions: Nevi and Venustus

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
I have generally used TP-Link products without any issues. The last router I bought was the Archer A7 which is a version sold
on Amazon has it works with Alexa voice commands and supports Wifi 5. Last firmware update was Jan 2022. I don't have any devices
that support Wifi 5 let alone Wifi 6 most of my current devices still use 2.4Ghz.

Although WIFI 6E is out there are not many devices that support this new protocol so on paper they are much faster but what is the point of having these
features at present moment? i don't see any. 🤷‍♂️

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
I have generally used TP-Link products without any issues. The last router I bought was the Archer A7 which is a version sold
on Amazon has it works with Alexa voice commands and supports Wifi 5. Last firmware update was Jan 2022. I don't have any devices
that support Wifi 5 let alone Wifi 6 most of my current devices still use 2.4Ghz.

Although WIFI 6E is out there are not many devices that support this new protocol so on paper they are much faster but what is the point of having these
features at present moment? i don't see any. 🤷‍♂️

WiFi 6E will pick up in popularity in due time @The_King. I think it may take a year or two at the minimum though. Future proofing isn't a bad idea if you are on the market for the latest and greatest. Would much rather get something on the bleeding edge of technology vs. lagging behind in a few years. One downfall on being in the bleeding edge of new technology could be dealing with some hiccups with firmware etc. Usually those firmware updates get hammered out fairly fast if its a responsible manufacture there.

Sticking with known and reputable manufactures is best!

~Brian

Reactions: Nevi and The_King

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Personally, I use a router supplied by my ISP which is one of the largest in the UK. I’m guessing they will be making sure the firmware is updated as they are given to hundreds of thousands (possibly millions) of their customers and the presence of a known vulnerability would be bad publicity. However, that could be a bit naïve of me!

I read in a tech magazine (APC) that it is better to pay more and buy a business router for your home network. The theory was that these models are regularly updated with firmware. I think they were suggesting routers from Draytech and others. Anyone agree with this?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi and amirr
F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Not updating firmware for over a year is not an issue when there are no unpatched vulnerabilities :)

Reactions: amirr

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Verified
Dec 12, 2021
Bought a new router last year in August, replacing an Nighthawk R7000 which we had for maybe 7-8 years, with an RAX50 for 2500 SEK (250$), since the old router was becoming overloaded when we reached 13 devices, aswell as not supporting 5G which were greatly limiting our bandwith capabilities

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019

A lot of the recommendations to change DNS servers tout that it will speed up browsing, but in a lot of cases it can do the opposite by routing you to suboptimal CDNs.

A good reason to change the DNS settings is for filtering. For privacy there are incredibly accurate methods to reverse DNS lookups even on CDNs that host multiple sites on the same IP. Your ISP can see what you are doing, so you might as well get the benefit of the optimized network performance if their DNS system isn’t junk…again unless you are filtering. And there are ISPs with poorly constructed DNS infrastructure.

• +Reputation
Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.