How often do you indulge yourself into buying software (the digital kind)?

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
How often do you buy software from sales and discounts:
  • What was your most recent software purchase?
  • How likely are you to renew existing software licences?
  • What kind of software do you buy the most? (ie. security software, productivity software, or anything that is on sale)?
  • Approximate cost of buying digital items (including video games, apps, subscriptions) in the past 5 years?
After all, there is no physical value in any of the items - few rare exceptions.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I buy as required, I have no qualms about buying software if it improves the use of a system - Most of purchases now are renews or updates: Recently -- Last month: Softmaker Office 2021 despite having on MS Office sub (or because of) Renewed IVPN which I've started using on Wireguard & it's perfect - Partition Magic Ultimate (Lifetime) Added Norton to auto renew & gained free 3 months, I donate to a few programs such as Free Commander, MP3Tag etc- AOMEI Backupper Pro obtained from StackSocial, good buy.

I like Stardock customisation programs, recently bought Object Dock & Curtains - Total cost over time I have no idea - If I can I try to get cheap lifetime licences & for the most part these hold up well :rolleyes:

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 55474

The last purchase I made was: Bitdefender Total Security, and I will renew it when the time comes.
And I almost forgot I also purchased EkspressVPN about that time, and I will renew this outstanding software too. :love:

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
In the last 3 years, I have bought only three apps: WIPR, an adblocker for my Apple devices and Enpass, a password manager, and Windscribe, a VPN, for all my devices. In the last 5 years, I had paid for Kaspersky Internet Security for two years..
I'm writing this on my Chromebook....I'm still fond of Windows but I'm using it less and less....

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I haven't bought software in years because there's really nothing I can't replace with a free equivalent. Everything I use now is either FOSS or commercial freeware. The last software I paid for was probably CA Antivirus some time around 2007.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
My software purchases tend to be renewals, recently that has been F-Secure SAFE - a good value 2 year deal, and I moved my Adguard licence over to a lifetime multi-device deal when I saw a really good price for it.

Reactions: show-Zi

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Most recent one: Microsoft 365 Personal (HUP renewal)
I don't mind paying for software if know I'll be actively using it and it's worth it's price.
Other ones I've purchased or renewed in last 12 months: Bitwarden, HitmanPro, Revo Uninstaller Pro
My first purchase was: WinRAR :D

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I avoid paid software (not including Windows or games), though I donated/payed some, I did not use, just to support it.
How often do you buy software from sales and discounts:
I do not think, I have ever bought anything for the full price.
How likely are you to renew existing software licences?
I buy Solitaire + MahJong every 2-3 years instead of every year and even though it would work without buying the latest version, I want them to stay afloat.
Approximate cost of buying digital items (including video games, apps, subscriptions) in the past 5 years?
Roughly $500, about $50 for steam cards and other nonsense. 😁

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.