How often should you reinstall your operating system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Reinstall if;
  • Unbootable
  • Unstable (ie. Application crashing, Explorer.exe freezing, BSOD)
  • Noticeable loss in performance during simple tasks (ie. Booting OS, Opening Task Man)
  • After an OS upgrade (especially Windows)
  • Noticeable post-malware removal damage

If you want to reinstall every month, to save time you can chose to create a custom Windows 10 image or restoring using a system image.

MiguelPratas819

Level 2
Verified
Jul 8, 2015
I guess that depends from person to person and also depends how you use your computer. If it is working fine there is no need to reinstall anything. I only do it when, unluckyly, I was infected and want to make sure everything is clean or when major Upgrades to the operating system comes out (example windows 10 November update and Anniversary update soon to come out). If you are using that system for 5 years and you had no problem at all just keep using it.
Sorry bad english.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Reinstall if;
  • Unbootable
  • Noticeable loss in performance during simple tasks (ie. Booting OS, Opening Task Man)

If you want to reinstall every month, to save time you can chose to create a custom Windows 10 image or restoring using a system image.
would you recommend doing a fresh install for the upcoming Anniversary Update, or just let Windows update itself automatically?

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I reinstall my OS from scratch every couple of months.....I enjoy it:D
I like to Clean my Laptop Keyboard & Screen,and Reinstall the OS at the same time..It makes me feel like I have a new Laptop each time ;).........
I will do so again once the Anniversary Update has been out for 2 or 3 weeks...(which I will delay installation of)
I am maybe one of the few people that is dreading the update.My guess is that in the days that follow there will be a larger than normal number of people on forums complaining that it borked on their system/ Didn't play well with certain 3rd party software/ & created more issues than it fixed..:rolleyes:
Once the smoke clears I will reinstall the OS and find out whether M$ has embedded Edge / Cortana /Remote support /Bing / & other avenues of Telemetry even deeper into the system.......And then I will Remove/Kill /Block those changes.:D

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I like to Clean my Laptop Keyboard & Screen,and Reinstall the OS at the same time..It makes me feel like I have a new Laptop each time ;).........
I will do so again once the Anniversary Update has been out for 2 or 3 weeks...(which I will delay installation of)
I am maybe one of the few people that is dreading the update.My guess is that in the days that follow there will be a larger than normal number of people on forums complaining that it borked on their system/ Didn't play well with certain 3rd party software/ & created more issues than it fixed..:rolleyes:
Once the smoke clears I will reinstall the OS and find out whether M$ has embedded Edge / Cortana /Remote support /Bing / & other avenues of Telemetry even deeper into the system.......And then I will Remove/Kill /Block those changes.:D
sounds like a plan.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Only did a fresh install in the last time (>1 y ago) due to:
-a problem with an AV, which came up with testing some malware packs, which made the system very laggy somehow (I don't know what the technical issue was, probably early Win10 related (AV not ready 100%), the AV was indeed very good).
-OS upgrades (like Win 8.1 -> Win 10)
-if the system is very laggy, due to some buggy software tried it (now use my ShadowDefender equipped laptop to test off new software).

Almost the same @Huracan said, though I had not a super impact by Malware (but would reinstall, too).

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
My old windows 7 was reinstaled only 2 times whole 7 years.. only becasue i changed MOBO and cpu..

All time i have 2 image:
- Fresh installed system + drivers and +update this day when was clone
- All programs which i gonna use in future WinRAR TC UltraISO etc..

but i Recovery backup rare time probably 1-2 times on year when i want check some lates drivers.
My system is all time fresh.. Shadow Defender do what he should do :)

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I have made a fresh reinstall of Windows 10 Pro several days ago in anticipation of the July,29 : only the "minimum" :p (SD+Av+anti malware tools+Browsers+anti-telemetry tools+Programming tools+analyzing tools+Password Manager-True Image 2016..) and after some windows updates : System backup.

Last edited:

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014

I've actually been looking for a way to do a reinstall, but I'm actually not very familiar with the process and I'm kinda afraid I'll mess it up :p

H

hjlbx

Reinstall if;
  • Unbootable

The above is sound advice.

Alternatively, you can learn how to use a product like Rollback Rx Home or Drive Vaccine Rx (both freeware) and make a clean snapshot your baseline. You can always return to that clean baseline on a schedule, manually or at every system reboot - dependent upon your chosen settings in those softs.

The whole concept of using a snapshot soft is to save the user time, effort, aggravation, frustration, etc. The limitation to using such softs is that you should uninstall them prior to any major Windows updates - the ones that modify the MBR = cumulative updates. In my experience it is a quick and painless procedure.

There is no "right" or "wrong" way to do it... just recommended "best practices."

Last edited by a moderator:

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
With Windows 10, I reinstalled the OS once due to OS corruption probably made by RollBack Rx Pro. I wasn't educated enough that time about using RollBack Rx. :D

@hjlbx
On my laptop, uninstallation of RollBack Rx isn't "quick... procedure". I have to wait for around 30 minutes before it prompts me that it is uninstalled. I wish it could uninstall faster, just like how fast it is when doing a rollback, which is almost as quick as a system restart. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.