How often should you reinstall your operating system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hjlbx

With Windows 10, I reinstalled the OS once due to OS corruption probably made by RollBack Rx Pro. I wasn't educated enough that time about using RollBack Rx. :D

@hjlbx
On my laptop, uninstallation of RollBack Rx isn't "quick... procedure". I have to wait for around 30 minutes before it prompts me that it is uninstalled. I wish it could uninstall faster, just like how fast it is when doing a rollback, which is almost as quick as a system restart. :)

30 mins ? I would report on HDS support forum. That isn't correct behavior...

Ask @Umbra - he uses RB Rx on HDD. I use SSD.

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
I reinstall my OS from scratch every couple of months.....I enjoy it:D
I like to Clean my Laptop Keyboard & Screen,and Reinstall the OS at the same time..It makes me feel like I have a new Laptop each time ;).........
I will do so again once the Anniversary Update has been out for 2 or 3 weeks...(which I will delay installation of)
I am maybe one of the few people that is dreading the update.My guess is that in the days that follow there will be a larger than normal number of people on forums complaining that it borked on their system/ Didn't play well with certain 3rd party software/ & created more issues than it fixed..:rolleyes:
Once the smoke clears I will reinstall the OS and find out whether M$ has embedded Edge / Cortana /Remote support /Bing / & other avenues of Telemetry even deeper into the system.......And then I will Remove/Kill /Block those changes.:D
I did your method when I'm still in college. I reinstall my OS everyweek because
1. I want to try not using any security/AV
2. I didn't trust any backup/lockdown program
3. I have a lot spare/free time (ultimate reason)

But now, I only do it when there is major OS upgrade or post malware cleaning.

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I did your method when I'm still in college. I reinstall my OS everyweek because
1. I want to try not using any security/AV
2. I didn't trust any backup/lockdown program
3. I have a lot spare/free time (ultimate reason)

But now, I only do it when there is major OS upgrade or post malware cleaning.
Yes, Free time is a big factor...when I go back to working longer hours I will probably do it less often as well :)

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
There's no real reason to reinstall your OS, unless you are experiencing either major issues and tried everything to solve them, or the issue you're facing requires a reinstall (like a corrupt COMPONENTS Hive). And even there, most of these issues can be solved via a Repair Install, which isn't a "clean" wipe and reinstall.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
I keep a clean Image (Windows 10 + Office 2007 only) and update and backup it only after major updates, so I dont have to re-install and configure my settings when something goes wrong. I stopped making frequent image backups with Windows 7

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
When it breaks and no matter what i try to fix it nothing works. Even then I'd try an in place reinstall first.
Only other time is when a new OS comes out. There's no way I'm doing an upgrade - clean install every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.