Advice Request How often to clear my browser cache?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Daily, whenever I shut down the computer for the night Some session cookies I like to keep thruout the day as I sometimes return to a site later in the day and don't want to sign in or configure the site again. I see in Edge, you can add sites to keep their cookies and ditch any others but I myself would rather retain the control than have a very minor convenience.

I've found that if you don't clear the caches with some regularity, many websites I use malfunction after a while--like passwords don't register or the site doesn't load properly or at all.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Nowadays usually never. Page loads faster with cache, so that's what I prefer. Removing cache regularly writes excessive amount of data on the disk specially Firefox.
I have also moved my browsers cache folder to the HDD instead of the default location of SSD to reduce the amount of data written on the SSD.
I used to be privacy-sensitive, but not anymore. I use Google as my search engine, use an android phone, browsers history, bookmarks are synced (Edge & Firefox), have accounts on most popular social media sites except TikTok. So deleting cache daily won't/barely do any good for me privacy wise.
But when I visit suspicious sites to watch free live streams, download malware, etc., I always use the Private Mode of the browser.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Nowadays usually never. Page loads faster with cache, so that's what I prefer. Removing cache regularly writes excessive amount of data on the disk specially Firefox.
I have also moved my browsers cache folder to the HDD instead of the default location of SSD to reduce the amount of data written on the SSD.
I used to be privacy-sensitive, but not anymore. I use Google as my search engine, use an android phone, browsers history, bookmarks are synced (Edge & Firefox), have accounts on most popular social media sites except TikTok. So deleting cache daily won't/barely do any good for me privacy wise.
But when I visit suspicious sites to watch free live streams, download malware, etc., I always use the Private Mode of the browser.
Me too.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Literally never. I don't see any need to do that, although there are occasions where cleaning the cache can actually increase performance.

I only close my browser every few weeks, when I'm going to reboot, or if I'm having issues with the browser, or to update it.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
This is me too. At this point I just like things to work. Nothing was any different when I was being a privacy nut, except everything took more work. And I wasn’t hiding much anyway.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Every day, sometimes several times a day when I close the browser. I've always thought it's just a good idea.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Cleaning cache daily? now that's just being paranoid. Stay safe not paranoid @oldschool ᵀᴹ

If anyone's wondering how to do that. (for chromium edge)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.