Question Do You Clean Your Desktop Fans & CPU Radiators Out Often?

Hardware Discussions
46 Replies 4,978 Views
Help answer the author's question with clear explanations and useful steps.

Sorrento

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
I do it every few months, I did notice fan speeds were a little higher recently though weather is warmer, though this room isn't dusty I removed the (vertical) CPU fan & as usual blew the the radiator grilles out which were quite dusty. I cleaned the fan blades & the fans run slower & quieter too using HWInfo - I removed the graphics card & blew the fan out too, seems a good idea but there are risks in doing this. Do others do this?
 
Yes, many people regularly clean their computer components to maintain optimal performance. However, it's crucial to be careful to avoid damaging sensitive parts. Using compressed air cans is a common method.
 
power leaf GIF
 
I do it every few months, I did notice fan speeds were a little higher recently though weather is warmer, though this room isn't dusty I removed the (vertical) CPU fan & as usual blew the the radiator grilles out which were quite dusty. I cleaned the fan blades & the fans run slower & quieter too using HWInfo - I removed the graphics card & blew the fan out too, seems a good idea but there are risks in doing this. Do others do this?
I used a blower to dedust the whole desktop from intake, exhaust,thermaltakes, motherboard, GPU, CPU, RAM etc. The fans spin faster than usual thou during blowing but so far so good. I fear the dust will damage the PCB more if I don't clean them.
 
I'll take the graphics card out too (desktop), and hold one of the fins in place with a toothpick (for laptop fans too) to help if from quickly over spinning and possibly damaging the bearings. I don't know if that's a old wives tale, but I thought I read that on Toms Hardware or PCWorld or PCMagazine when they used to have a forum.
 
I'll take the graphics card out too (desktop), and hold one of the fins in place with a toothpick (for laptop fans too) to help if from quickly over spinning and possibly damaging the bearings. I didn't know if that's a old wives tale, but I thought I read that on Toms Hardware or PCWorld or PCMagazine when they used to have a forum.
This is the ideal, but I do not hold fans; just remove the case cover, blow the inside, especially cpu fan and heat sink, and psu fan.
I takes less than a minute.
 
According to regional weather; I have to annually blow the inside as Temp can reach more than 46 C in spring and summer, which can increase cpu temp.
Well its more likely to reach -46C here than +46C.
I've just had to take my blood pressure & some tablets :eek::eek:
Heh heh, maybe only 3 times that I remember, once for a repair and then 2 times when I changed the hard drive and video card. It sits in a enclosed cabinet that's part of my desk so not exposed to too much dust, still runs perfectly, boots in 15 seconds.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top