Advice Request How to add filters to Adguard for Android?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
open filterlists, click on the filter you want, then click View -> copy all the test of the filter and paste it to .nbhosts.txt (before it, you should delete everything in the nbhosts because the default filter is outdated)

I think naked browser is the only browser which gives you full customization of your filter list, besides firefox + ublock
So should I save in unicode or ansi format for the txt file?

And should I leave a spacing between 2 different files (e.g. between easylist and easyprivacy) or join the rule counts continuously?

Thanks again

Reactions: Vasudev

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
you can join them continously or separate them. It's the same
So I'm having

EasyList Without Element Hiding Rules, EasyPrivacy Without International Filters, Fanboy's Annoyance List and Fanboy's Enhanced Tracking List. The file size is 5.97MB.

I hope it's not too big. What do you think.......still without ransomware, coin miners protection? Should I add the two missing latter?

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
you don't need them. They will make the browser so slow and worse battety life
5MB I think it's a bit too much
Mine is less than 2MB
After using Naked Browser for a while I realized

1) There's no count of anything being blocked so not sure of its effectiveness
2) It's pretty limited in protection against other things from the browser as compared to using extensions like in Firefox
3) 5.97MB of txt file doesn't slow down my handphone
4) Still not too good at blocking the cookie messages. Cannot remove the cookie message pop-up from MalwareTips.
5) If I don't disable Javascripts I'm unable to remove the ads from www.hardwarezone.com.sg
6) Don't have a mobile version mode to force the abovementioned forum from desktop-to-mobile display
7) Cannot block 3rd-party cookies

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
After using Naked Browser for a while I realized

1) There's no count of anything being blocked so not sure of its effectiveness
2) It's pretty limited in protection against other things from the browser as compared to using extensions like in Firefox
3) 5.97MB of txt file doesn't slow down my handphone
4) Still not too good at blocking the cookie messages. Cannot remove the cookie message pop-up from MalwareTips.
1) go to your daily websites. If you see it blocking ads, it's working. or you can test it by using some adblocker testing sites
4) again, naked browser doesn't support element hiding as other adblocker so it will never blocks cookie messages. Element hiding means "hide" but "not block", the ads will still be downloaded and presented but are hidden by the adblocker. Only ublock origin for firefox or adguard for android supports it at a cost of slowing down your surfing and more battery consumption. Adguard also suggests disabling element hiding for bettet battery and speed but reduce the quality of blocking

If you use naked browser with only easylist without element hiding, I guess it will be smoother than firefox with ublock
because you have a very large blocklist of 5MB, you won't notice the speed change

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
1) go to your daily websites. If you see it blocking ads, it's working. or you can test it by using some adblocker testing sites
4) again, naked browser doesn't support element hiding as other adblocker so it will never blocks cookie messages. Element hiding means "hide" but "not block", the ads will still be downloaded and presented but are hidden by the adblocker. Only ublock origin for firefox or adguard for android supports it at a cost of slowing down your surfing and more battery consumption. Adguard also suggests disabling element hiding for bettet battery and speed but reduce the quality of blocking

If you use naked browser with only easylist without element hiding, I guess it will be smoother than firefox with ublock
because you have a very large blocklist of 5MB, you won't notice the speed change
I included items 5), 6) and 7) as well

I don't mean just ads but displaying counts of trackers, analytics, social etc

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I included items 5) and 6) as well

I don't mean just ads but displaying trackers, analytics etc
I will investigate that website because each website has their own way to deliver ads. Perhaps, you only need a simple rule to block ads on that website without having to disable the javascript

I forgot to pay the bill so my internet won't be available until 10/7 :( I won't have access to my laptop

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
7) Cannot block 3rd-party cookies
naked rowser can block third-party cookies
settings -> data options -> uncheck 3rd party cookies allowed

why do you need the counting of blocked contents. If you use your browser without any annoying ads or a few ads which are not very intrusive, it should be okay
showing blocked content is not necessary. It's not PC

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
naked rowser can block third-party cookies
settings -> data options -> uncheck 3rd party cookies allowed

why do you need the counting of blocked contents. If you use your browser without any annoying ads or a few ads which are not very intrusive, it should be okay
showing blocked content is not necessary. It's not PC
Sorry, can't find the uncheck 3rd party cookies allowed. My version is 1.0 build 132

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.