How to choose "The Best Antivirus"?

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Hello,if you want sit back and relax security then:Bitdefender,if not then i would go for Kaspersky

Reactions: DeepWeb

sigsag

Level 1
Mar 30, 2017
Be sure your AV is capable of efficiently removing and disinfecting all malware. And if you're choosing a free product, be sure you don't have to pay for removal!
I was unaware that this can occur !
Could anyone advise current free AVs that do this please?

Reactions: RoboMan

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I was unaware that this can occur !
Could anyone advise current free AVs that do this please?
Pretty much any "known" free antivirus software can do it. There are some rogue programs or maybe legit but not-so-good softwares that will ask for the full version in order to clean the system. Avoid them at all cost.

sigsag

Level 1
Mar 30, 2017
Pretty much any "known" free antivirus software can do it. There are some rogue programs or maybe legit but not-so-good softwares that will ask for the full version in order to clean the system. Avoid them at all cost.

My apologies, I misunderstood you, I misread "removal" for "uninstall". Stupid of me.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
All AV vendors will collect your personal data. The question is more or less.

So choose one that collects less.

How to choose best AV ? is pretty simple:

1. Try ones that you are interested in on your specific system(s) [use trial if available]
2. Choose the one that you like best - the one that works for you personally on your specific system(s)
3. Don't pay any attention to what anyone else says - especially lab test results
4. Stick with it unless it causes real problems (I don't mean changing because of a few bugs)

Or you can just use this to protect your digital devices:

unnamed.jpg

Sajeesh

Level 1
Verified
Jun 24, 2017
All AVs are pretty much same when it comes to normal known threats. Any unknown is still a challenge, coz thats why threats is made for. I would say keep windows upto date, Java and Flash update. This will help any AV to keep the system protected to a level higher than normal scenarios. Also clean up the cookies n temps regularly to support your AV software.

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

I am writing a new post,because i have purchased a new laptop(price about 1000 us dollars)and i have McAfee Livesafe preinstalled on it for 3 years,and I have Malwarebytes Premium and HitmanPro(paid).
I think McAfee has stepped up,it is a much better AV then it was 7 years ago when i had McAfee Total Protection,it is so good that i almost would recommend it(I said Almost)

ICTSERVICES

Level 1
Aug 12, 2017
This is gold, Great read and at same time great insights on choosing an AV. I use the classic method of testing every single one that can.
That's would be the best approach, but I have to fight with time. I'm evaluating time to time at VB100 vendor archive, it still show me how much healthy producer is it.

ICTSERVICES

Level 1
Aug 12, 2017
Then your topic title should be changed to 'How to choose the best Internet Security Suite', no? Because having the best AV will not protect your system any better than the best Internet Security Suite especially when you want it as a main security layer, right?

Of course you can have the best AV and a separate FW with others as complements
Yes I share this approach, security SW developing is so specialized in many branch, it's impossible to master in every skill. I prefer to evaluate and install different separated products. This is better compliant with the ancient castle multi-level defense strategy, which is still so valiant. I always do my best to avoid SPOF and where suitable adopt redundancy when the matter is security.

Reactions: Winter Soldier

ICTSERVICES

Level 1
Aug 12, 2017
Winter- The one issue that has been popping up regarding Windows Defender recently is that there has been an increasing number of malware that are targeting it. Remember that WD has a Cloud component for enhanced zero-day coverage; sadly quite a bit of recent malware has been including scripts (via netsh adsvfirewall) that change WF rules to Block WD from getting out- this essentially will negate the Cloud from detecting the malware.
That's the main reason I don't trust in cloud security services........

ICTSERVICES

Level 1
Aug 12, 2017
Exactly. Or, in other words, there is no best AV, but there is a "best security protocol, which offers good protection, which does not limit your digital world more than it should, which allows productivity to thrive, which lets you do your job etc", which might include an AV. So what people usually ask is not about the best AV, but about the best security they can get (for their money, time, or both).

People should understand that this has to be tailored for their needs, the best security for me could not be that good for you for completely other reasons (that have nothing to do with security).

There are general guidelines though, like:

• don't open email links and attachments coming from unknown sources or which smell funny (even if coming from known sources)
  • pay attention to what you install and how (try to get used to custom installs and avoid express ones)
  • be extra careful while browsing social media, many attacks come from these platforms; they are like a crowded shopping malls for airborne viruses that get in the ventilation system
  • always update/upgrade your OS/software
  • use 2FA wherever possible (literally everywhere), but don't lose your phone, learn how to backup the 2FA software db, don't rely on "i will get my accounts back after i reinstall the software on the new phone"
  • use complex passwords
  • use common sense and avoid human error as much as possible
  • a little bit more advanced: limit stuff in the OS if you don't use them (limit even your user) to harden your system
  • time consuming and advanced: know your enemy but keep your friends close too; learn how hackers attack and how malware works, to know how to defend yourself, but also learn how your security products work in your benefit, learn about their features and how these can help you to prevent, mitigate an attack or help you in the aftermath
  • use security software that fit your needs; try them, most of them have trial versions
  • use MT to ask around when in doubt, there are many good people around here that can help you
Almost perfect, I just would add:
adopt a good password vault
do not reuse passwords

Reactions: AlanOstaszewski

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Don't pay any attention to what anyone else says - especially lab test results
I allways read you post with great interest. Now you left me in complete confusion. Does the above advice also apply to your advice? ;)

Buying cycle always includes an information gathering phase. Information gathering is the OP asking questions on this forum. Since the internet age, most people buy based on reference, reference from other users, reference from independant tests and expert/on-line eviews . You advice him to go back in time. Do you happen to have a second hand Delorean also? :cool:

Speaking about cars. When you trial or test drive a car, you test it on its primary function (transport). The trouble with any safety system is that you normally don't use it (like safety belt and air bag). Problem with antivirus solutions is that you buy the safety belts/air bag, not the car. Second problem is that 99.99% of the users have no means and knowledge to test an antivirus on its primary function (providing safety by catching malware), so how would you advise to check whether an antivirus lives up to its promise? :unsure:

Last edited:

klaken

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2014
1- accept your type of malware knowledge and what you can handle.
2- Analyze your use of PC .. basic (facebook and youtube) or software tests.
3- You have concepts that is a sandbox, heuritic and BB.

1- If it is basic or almost nothing = Any AV serves.
2-If it is medium an av with a good BB or a combo servia = Kasperky, Bitedefender, avast.
3- advanced or medium = A sanbox or your own suit serves = Combo cloud, Kaperky + comodo firewall, bitdefender + comodo firewall.
4-advanced = Comfortable suit or comfortable firewall ..
5- expert = comfortable firewall .. XP

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.