Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
When my friends ask me for a good antivirus I run out of answers. Why? because they will not know how to configure any Av. and I tell them Panda. because it is easy for a newbie.

Yes, I also advice Panda (good testlab ratings, easy to use, and has option to lower app-advertising). Only after world cup soccer final of 2010 :cry: until 5-1 win in Brazil :devil: I adviced Avast

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
I have gone back to Webroot. I cant get used to the slowdowns of other AV´s (Emsi, Kaspersky, Bitdefender). But when I look back on the around 8 years I have used WSA, it has kept my machine free of nasty malware. It seems they have dialed the engine in. I see the name more and more in "What AV to use" etc. As it is, its the best for me.

Reactions: upnorth and AtlBo

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
What a "secure" configuration should have in my opinion:

• Real time protection
  • Behaviour Blocker - HIPS
  • Anti-executable
  • Firewall

Options can be for ordinary users:

A decent antivirus solution with built-in firewall + VoodooShield
A decent free antivirus solution + VoodooShield + CFW (disabled HIPS so we have VoodooShield)
A decent free antivirus solution + VoodooShield + Windows Firewall (maybe WFC)

The decent antivirus solution can vary depending on your needs and hardware. Search for the one that suits your PC the best, since antivirus do not perform the same on every system.

D

Deleted member 178

Options can be for ordinary users:

A decent antivirus solution with built-in firewall + VoodooShield
A decent free antivirus solution + VoodooShield + CFW (disabled HIPS so we have VoodooShield)
A decent free antivirus solution + VoodooShield + Windows Firewall (maybe WFC)

The decent antivirus solution can vary depending on your needs and hardware. Search for the one that suits your PC the best, since antivirus do not perform the same on every system.
Never CFW for ordinary users, even they made it simpler, it is still to complex for Average Joes.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
disabled HIPS
This one is more useful than blindly sandbox everything! you just need to take time and read alerts:notworthy: if you don't know about services, file, reg keys or alerts(if you are like me) then google it!the answer is already there:D blocking everything not gonna help me ...if I'm gonna auto sandbox smth then why should i run it? :) the protection is in HIPS! the av or bb not gonna tell me the Yandex browser going to create a reg key!

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
This one is more useful than blindly sandbox everything! you just need to take time and read alerts:notworthy: if you don't know about services, file, reg keys or alerts(if you are like me) then google it!the answer is already there:D blocking everything not gonna help me ...if I'm gonna auto sandbox smth then why should i run it? :) the protection is in HIPS! the av or bb not gonna tell me the Yandex browser going to create a reg key!
Yes! HIPS is very usefull indeed. I just find HIPS + anti executable a bit over killing.

Never CFW for ordinary users, even they made it simpler, it is still to complex for Average Joes.

Good call. Last time i used CFW it didn't seem that complex, but it may be due to the fact i'm an advanced highly trained robot.

holst

Level 1
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
Performance and not breaking down the OS is first and foremost for me. Excellent protection against exploits: absolutely. Goodies like a Firewall,web security: no, not needed, there are better options. An excellent anti virus protection will take care of nasties downloaded from internet, hence no web security, it only bloats the sytem. Just my opinion.

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Yes! HIPS is very usefull indeed. I just find HIPS + anti executable a bit over killing.
I don't Agree it's depend how specific HPS and anti-exe work.
for me SpyShelter with AppGuard is best combo monitor which i had whole life.

Reactions: Nevi and AtlBo
D

Deleted member 178

I don't Agree it's depend how specific HPS and anti-exe work.
for me SpyShelter with AppGuard is best combo monitor which i had whole life.
Because Appguard is SRP and not anti-exe, it doesn't prompt, it just block; so it can work alongside any solution very well.

Reactions: RoboMan

PC4Life

Apr 10, 2018
To be frank, I simply use Windows Defender and a free version of Malwarebytes as well as safe surfing techniques to keep my virtual world clean of threats. From time to time, I do install a trial version of Eset just to see if everything is still fine in the hidden corners of my PC. The good thing about these free versions is that they keep protecting your system even after the 30 days expire. Of course, without the updates of the definition database, which makes your PC unprotected against the latest threats. So when in doubt, I simply reinstall the newest trial version.

I don't want to say it is not worth purchasing a proper trustworthy antimalware program to defend your computer against all possible threat sources. But most of the time it is just enough to be more cautious online and watch your clicks while using Windows Defender and a free security tool.

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
Okay, I'm being a little devil's advocate right now. I've made my own debloated Windows10 Iso, which among other things has completely stripped out Windows Defender.

I want to run my pc without any AV at all for performance reasons.

OSArmor + CFW + Voodooshield is my theorized set up. I'm just looking for everyones opinions on if this setup fully protects my system without any AV and if you don't believe it does please suggest a config that would fully protect me.

Thanks, guys. :)

Last edited:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Okay, I'm being a little devil's advocate right now. I've made my own debloated Windows10 Iso, which among other things has completely stripped out Windows Defender.

I want to run my pc without any AV at all for performance reasons.

OSArmor + CFW + Voodooshield is my theorized set up. I'm just looking for everyones opinions on if this setup fully protects my system without any AV and if you don't believe it does please suggest a config that would fully protect me.

Thanks, guys. :)

Very good free combo setup. I will try Windows Defender + VoodooShield + Windows Firewall soon. Comodo Firewall is too advanced to me.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.