Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
And it should stay a theory...
1- CFW alone
2- OSA and/or VS.

i dont understand you guys, you select softs and one of them is doing all what the others does, but you keep adding the others...
I call it "security geeks disease" :p

Hey cut me some slack, I'm running with no AV here I'm a little paranoid, okay? :ROFLMAO:

I got rid of CFW though. (y)

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
This is a quote from a member named Littlebits, she was feeling a bit frustrated at that moment so it is overly harsh, keep it in mind.

Over the years I have been a member of many security forums but I lost interest in most of them because of all of the so-called advanced paranoid members that don't even know how to safely download files. Most of them like to run a bloatware load of products on their systems and recommend the same for new members. Most security forums don't try to teach members how to get by with a light basic security setup. That is how MalwareTips is different, you can find many members here that give excellent advice and can effectively use light security setups without ever getting infections. We also have excellent tutorials . Probably the best info on the forums for new users.

D

Deleted member 178

Then you're lucky, she was the reason I was initially drawn to this forum, (as a non-member), a bit grumpy but she was usually right, much like the person I'm responding to. :)
yes, in fact many hated us , because we didn't sugarcoat our words and always said the thing straight whoever is in front of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 65228

Over the years I have been a member of many security forums but I lost interest in most of them because of all of the so-called advanced paranoid members that don't even know how to safely download files. Most of them like to run a bloatware load of products on their systems and recommend the same for new members.
Nothing has changed.

60% of forums like this is talking about some stupid configuration where the member thinks they are like 100% full-proof against attacks they do not even understand (yet they will talk about it like they do anyway because someone else told them some other incorrect info). Another 20% is bashing on AV testing companies. The next 20% is talking about how Windows Defender is so good or sucks or an argument about it.

No wonder that member quit using forums, I don't blame them at all.

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
Nothing has changed.

60% of forums like this is talking about some stupid configuration where the member thinks they are like 100% full-proof against attacks they do not even understand (yet they will talk about it like they do anyway because someone else told them some other incorrect info). Another 20% is bashing on AV testing companies. The next 20% is talking about how Windows Defender is so good or sucks or an argument about it.

No wonder that member quit using forums, I don't blame them at all.

You just gotta find the right group, right guys? :cool:

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
This is a quote from a member named Littlebits, she was feeling a bit frustrated at that moment so it is overly harsh, keep it in mind.

Over the years I have been a member of many security forums but I lost interest in most of them because of all of the so-called advanced paranoid members that don't even know how to safely download files. Most of them like to run a bloatware load of products on their systems and recommend the same for new members. Most security forums don't try to teach members how to get by with a light basic security setup. That is how MalwareTips is different, you can find many members here that give excellent advice and can effectively use light security setups without ever getting infections. We also have excellent tutorials . Probably the best info on the forums for new users.

Not overly harsh just shooting straight from the hip as was her style. Still sound advice to avoid piling on the apps even to just avoid BSODs and system slow downs as a result.

I suppose it takes a while for people to realise that if your computer habits are reasonably safe then you don`t actually need oodles of apps with a cherry on top.

Regards Eck:)

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
It's only when you understand antivirus software wasn't made to protect systems from malware but to protect system from YOU, is when you finally realise that if you educate yourself, the simplest solution can fit you perfectly. (y)

I

illumination

It's only when you understand antivirus software wasn't made to protect systems from malware but to protect system from YOU
It is actually just the opposite my friend. Av's were made to be the users back up, the users knowledge and safe habits were meant to be the first line of defense and this has not changed. The products can not protect users from themselves if they refuse to adopt safe habits, and or refuse to listen to the products prompts and recommendations.

As for choosing the "Best Av" of the original post....

There is no best, only what fits your needs, uses, system resources and knowledge, especially of the product. The product can have advanced protection features and these will be worthless if the user has no idea how to turn them on, and use them. A user needs to utilize the trials that most of the products come with and test features and usability for themselves.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
The best antivirus. There is none. Only ones that work for you, your system, the one that doesn't muck up your computer. Always test different software. There's only personal choice & experience. Hope this helps going forward for people that think about AVs as everyone has a different insight for their own setup.

~LDogg

Sophia Jan

Level 1
Sep 11, 2018
i am tested several free antivirus programs, but we paid special attention to Avira,Avast and AVG, since these are the most well-known free programs. Norton Security, Bitdefender and Panda Security offer free antivirus programs, too, but they are pretty bare boned compared to these three

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.