How to choose "The Best Antivirus"?

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
i am tested several free antivirus programs, but we paid special attention to Avira,Avast and AVG, since these are the most well-known free programs. Norton Security, Bitdefender and Panda Security offer free antivirus programs, too, but they are pretty bare boned compared to these three
BD Free is one the best out there too, but fair play on testing the 3 AVs. How did your findings go?

~LDogg

Reactions: Nevi and stefanos

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
BD Free is one the best out there too, but fair play on testing the 3 AVs. How did your findings go?

~LDogg
Before one hour I finished my tests with Bitdefender free+osarmor. With very good results. Really is one of the best free antivirus.

Reactions: oldschool and LDogg

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
i am tested several free antivirus programs, but we paid special attention to Avira,Avast and AVG, since these are the most well-known free programs. Norton Security, Bitdefender and Panda Security offer free antivirus programs, too, but they are pretty bare boned compared to these three
Norton have not free version. And Bitdefender have very good behavior blocker, (avira have not)have good webfilter (avg have not and avast is weak).Best free antivirus for me is Kaspersky free Bitdefender free and Avast free

Reactions: Nevi and oldschool

stefansalvatore

Level 1
Nov 1, 2018
There's no longer any question about whether you should use antivirus software. It doesn't matter if you're running Windows, Android or macOS — there's malware out targeting your machine. (There's even malware for iOS now, but no real iOS antivirus software as of yet.)

In my opinion we should choose software with a high malware-detection rate & Free AV software offers good protection, but paid provides more features.

Reactions: Nevi and RoboMan

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
In my opinion we should choose software with a high malware-detection rate
So the thing is, today's malware comes out so fast and furious that no AV company can keep up with detecting it all. That's why we talk a lot in this forum about alternative protection mechanisms, some of which are incorporated in AVs, such as behavior blocking, script protection, whitelisting, reputation services, etc.

stefansalvatore

Level 1
Nov 1, 2018
So the thing is, today's malware comes out so fast and furious that no AV company can keep up with detecting it all. That's why we talk a lot in this forum about alternative protection mechanisms, some of which are incorporated in AVs, such as behavior blocking, script protection, whitelisting, reputation services, etc.

Agree with you!!!

Reactions: shmu26

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Overkill with that option. BD Free would be the realtime AV whilst OS Armor plugs the gaps for exploits, ransomware etc etc. VoodooShield is just an anti-exe, BD Free w/ OS Armor would be more than capable of doing the job with sensible browser habits.

~LDogg
I'm disagreeing here! BD Free lacks the advanced modules the paid version has. It's great for its signatures but I wouldn't use it without an anti-executable like VoodooShield. I'd prefer BD Free + VS over OSArmor. And wouldn't mind using them both since the impact is minimum :)

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

But eset has no behavior analysis like bd to prevent ransomware
Are you downloading unknown software and executing stuff before even't checking what it is and if it's legitimate? If that's the case, no security solution will be good enough. Forget about ransomware protection, start with safe computing habits. First basic step to take, when you get it, any 3th party AV will be enough, it doesnt matter what you chose to go with after Eset, Bitdefender, Iobit, whatever.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.