Windows 10 [How to] Clean Install and Activate Windows 10

vishwa

Thanks for this tip. I had upgraded to windows 10 but now revert back to windows 7. My Dell inspiron 580s drivers are not compatible with windows 10 and thus facing issues with my network driver.

Thanks for this tip. I had upgraded to windows 10 but now revert back to windows 7. My Dell inspiron 580s drivers are not compatible with windows 10 and thus facing issues with my network driver.
I too had the prob with my network driver. Win 10 mentioned the driver was for Vista...but it was my Win 7 driver.
The included Win 10 network driver is working fine here. My network driver that Win 10 rejected was from Realtek & Win 10 included network driver is too from Realtek & working fine here.

Umbra

Level 85
Content Creator
Trusted
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Default-Deny
Can I use the created ISO (64 Bits) on other systems (64 Bits) to upgrade/clean install too?
yes, if the other system have the same previous Windows (home for home)

Posted on Wilders by zfactor.
how to do a clean windows 10 install without upgrading first | Wilders Security Forums

You need to have an ISO of the matching version to your previous OS i.e. Home or Pro and x86 or x64.

Extract the ISO (or you can mount it if you know how) go to \Windows\x64\sources and copy gatherosstate.exe to your desktop. Run this file (may have to select run as admin) it will create the file GenuineTicket.xml on your desktop. SAVE THIS somewhere like a USB drive or otherwise YOU NEED IT LATER.

Now install Windows 10 clean once done copy the file you saved GenuineTicket.xml to the folder
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket

Now reboot the machine. You should now be activated.

Umbra

Level 85
Content Creator
Trusted
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Default-Deny
The question is by doing the step above does the license is converted to a win10 license and saved by Microsoft?

Does replacing HDD affects Windows activation?

Preinstalled/OEM Windows 7 laptop.
And Preinstalled/OEM Windows 7 upgraded to Win 10 laptop.

Umbra

Level 85
Content Creator
Trusted
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Default-Deny
I think it does from what i recall.

jamescv7

Level 61
Trusted
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Microsoft
@yesnoo: As much as possible it will not affect Windows activation except of changing motherboard especially from newly laptop models where license key is bind on that main peripheral. HTG

According to official MS site ; there's a possibility to happen but its still a case to case basis.

Hardware changes
If you made substantial hardware changes to your PC, such as replacing your hard drive or motherboard, Windows might no longer be activated on your PC. For info on how to activate your PC,

Last edited:
Thanxx for the links. Its helpful.

Once I replace the HDD will see how it goes.

By the way the laptop that I am going to replace HDD currently has Win 7 OEM installed. I think will wait for the upcoming major Win 10 update that allows to activate Win 10 with Win 7 genuine OEM/Retail, etc... keys. I will do a clean Win 10 install & activate with Win 7 key. Hope it will activate fine.

Umbra

Level 85
Content Creator
Trusted
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Default-Deny
Good move, normally it should be fine