[How to] Clean Install and Activate Windows 10

vishwa

Level 1
Verified
Aug 18, 2015
Thanks for this tip. I had upgraded to windows 10 but now revert back to windows 7. My Dell inspiron 580s drivers are not compatible with windows 10 and thus facing issues with my network driver.

Reactions: frogboy
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Thanks for this tip. I had upgraded to windows 10 but now revert back to windows 7. My Dell inspiron 580s drivers are not compatible with windows 10 and thus facing issues with my network driver.
I too had the prob with my network driver. Win 10 mentioned the driver was for Vista...but it was my Win 7 driver.
The included Win 10 network driver is working fine here. My network driver that Win 10 rejected was from Realtek & Win 10 included network driver is too from Realtek & working fine here.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Posted on Wilders by zfactor.
how to do a clean windows 10 install without upgrading first | Wilders Security Forums

You need to have an ISO of the matching version to your previous OS i.e. Home or Pro and x86 or x64.

Extract the ISO (or you can mount it if you know how) go to \Windows\x64\sources and copy gatherosstate.exe to your desktop. Run this file (may have to select run as admin) it will create the file GenuineTicket.xml on your desktop. SAVE THIS somewhere like a USB drive or otherwise YOU NEED IT LATER.

Now install Windows 10 clean once done copy the file you saved GenuineTicket.xml to the folder
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket

Now reboot the machine. You should now be activated.

Reactions: Av Gurus
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
The question is by doing the step above does the license is converted to a win10 license and saved by Microsoft?

Reactions: Exterminator
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Does replacing HDD affects Windows activation?

Preinstalled/OEM Windows 7 laptop.
And Preinstalled/OEM Windows 7 upgraded to Win 10 laptop.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@yesnoo: As much as possible it will not affect Windows activation except of changing motherboard especially from newly laptop models where license key is bind on that main peripheral. HTG

According to official MS site ; there's a possibility to happen but its still a case to case basis.

Hardware changes
If you made substantial hardware changes to your PC, such as replacing your hard drive or motherboard, Windows might no longer be activated on your PC. For info on how to activate your PC,

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Thanxx for the links. Its helpful.

Once I replace the HDD will see how it goes.

By the way the laptop that I am going to replace HDD currently has Win 7 OEM installed. I think will wait for the upcoming major Win 10 update that allows to activate Win 10 with Win 7 genuine OEM/Retail, etc... keys. I will do a clean Win 10 install & activate with Win 7 key. Hope it will activate fine.

Media923823

Level 1
Nov 5, 2018
hi , as the title says , there is how to do.

1- Upgrade Part

This procedure is useful only if you do an upgrade to Win10 from a legit licensed and activated Win7/8 PC.

a- You must have Win7/8 or above installed and activated with a legit license.
b- Go inside Win7/8
c- Then you must do an upgrade to windows10 via Windows Update (or via an ISO from Win10 by inserting the media containing Win10 > open > and run "setup.exe").

d- Follow the installation procedure.
e- When the installation is finished, your win7/8 license will be transferred and modified as a Win10 license. this license will automatically activate Win10 when you will connect to internet.

1bWAM9Y.png

2- Clean Install part:

You must have done a dvd or usb containing the official Windows10 ISO from microsoft.

here the Link : Microsoft's Media Creation Tool

- Be sure to select the proper version , the same one as your in 7/8 version. example: windows 7 or 8 Home = Windows 10 home )

a- insert the dvd or usb containing the Win10 ISO
b- Go into the Boot menu and select the device that will run the ISO, exit and reboot.
c- Now your PC should load the Windows10 installer.
d- Follow the procedure.
e- Skip all "enter your license" prompts (you should have 2-3 prompts)
f- Once in Windows10 , check if you are activated (go to Control Panel > System > Scroll to bottom) , if not , click the "Activate" button.
g- You should be activated and can npw perform as many clean install as you want.

1bWAM9Y.png

If I got a virus on my pc and I install : Microsoft's Media Creation Tool and create a booteable usb, how i know that the usb booteable is not inffected ? Or should I create the booteale usb in other pc ?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
If I got a virus on my pc and I install : Microsoft's Media Creation Tool and create a booteable usb, how i know that the usb booteable is not inffected ? Or should I create the booteale usb in other pc ?
Always create a bootable usb on a clean pc.
This is why i always recommend people to do a backup right after the installation of an OS. Then:
Restore the clean backup > make the bootable USB > install windows

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
My latest tale of woe with Win 10. Upgraded again, the third time, figuring after all the months the latest version has been out that it should be fixed. This time rather than a regular upgrade, I chose only to keep my files and folders. All 3rd party software was removed in the upgrade.
It all went quickly and without problems, and 10 is working well...….EXCEPT it will not activate. I get an error code and saying either the license cannot be found or something is preventing activation from connecting with the servers. Tried 4 or 5 times yesterday and 3 or 4 times today and get the same error. I haven't installed any software other than Win 10 yet, so don't know what could be blocking the activation.

I'm starting to think the gods of computers don't want Windows 10 on this laptop.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I was told the license number above is good for about 6 months and is illegal - which I did not know. So, it appears my solution isn't a solution at all although the cmd code is good and does work. At the end of 6 months, I either run Win 10 without activation, find another dirty license number, or use a Macrium Reflect image of Win 8.1, revert back and try again.

My Win 8.1 is a legal and valid digital license. The laptop has no product key sticker or I'd have used it. So, that's where this nonsense is at. I'm thinking again the gods of computers don't want me running Windows 10.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.