[How to] Clean Install and Activate Windows 10

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
hi , as the title says , there is how to do.

1- Upgrade Part

This procedure is useful only if you do an upgrade to Win10 from a legit licensed and activated Win7/8 PC.

a- You must have Win7/8 or above installed and activated with a legit license.
b- Go inside Win7/8
c- Then you must do an upgrade to windows10 via Windows Update (or via an ISO from Win10 by inserting the media containing Win10 > open > and run "setup.exe").

d- Follow the installation procedure.
e- When the installation is finished, your win7/8 license will be transferred and modified as a Win10 license. this license will automatically activate Win10 when you will connect to internet.

1bWAM9Y.png

2- Clean Install part:

You must have done a dvd or usb containing the official Windows10 ISO from microsoft.

here the Link : Microsoft's Media Creation Tool

- Be sure to select the proper version , the same one as your in 7/8 version. example: windows 7 or 8 Home = Windows 10 home )

a- insert the dvd or usb containing the Win10 ISO
b- Go into the Boot menu and select the device that will run the ISO, exit and reboot.
c- Now your PC should load the Windows10 installer.
d- Follow the procedure.
e- Skip all "enter your license" prompts (you should have 2-3 prompts)
f- Once in Windows10 , check if you are activated (go to Control Panel > System > Scroll to bottom) , if not , click the "Activate" button.
g- You should be activated and can npw perform as many clean install as you want.

1bWAM9Y.png

Last edited by a moderator:

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
a silly question... have you tried with another type of license? e.g: retail or mak? i dont wanna do this because the oem version of my pc is windows starter so bahh, dont want to have windows home version

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
not tried with retail, but it should work in the same way.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
That is one shiny screen.

I hope you activated it with the hardware you plan on keeping "for the supported life of the device"! (which I still have to shuffle some hardware around before activating)

Reactions: Nevi

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
i will try to.. but i dont want to have problem with drivers, recent compilations of windows 10 had some issues with my old windows 8 drivers... that is why i downgraded my pc...

Reactions: Nevi and MrExplorer
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
hi , as the title says , there is how to do.

This procedure is useful only if you do an upgrade to Win10 RTM 10240 from a legit OEM licensed and activated win8.1.1 PC.

1- You must have Win8.1 Update 1 installed and activated.
2- You must have a ISO from Win10 RTM 10240
3- load Win8.1U1
4- Insert the media containing the iso, open it and click on "setup".
5- follow the installation procedure. (don't select "update", choose "keep settings & files" )

6- when the installation is finish, your OEM will automatically activate Win10 RTM when you will connect to internet.

1bWAM9Y.png

now you can enjoy Win10 ;)

Does this works with Win 7?

And can this method be used with official iso once released i.e load Win 7 & run the setup from the iso i.e no need to upgrade through windows updates?

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I would upgrade and make my own ISO (won't have to enter keys when doing a fresh install).

Yea, my OEM laptop..still going to change the hardware before release. It's a really nice gaming laptop (MSI GT70 Dominator 2PC) but it did not come with an SSD. It is painful. I don't use it much but when I do, I swear something is wrong with it because it is so slow! I'll also wait to see if there's a BIOS update first too.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I would upgrade and make my own ISO (won't have to enter keys when doing a fresh install).

Yea, my OEM laptop..still going to change the hardware before release. It's a really nice gaming laptop (MSI GT70 Dominator 2PC) but it did not come with an SSD. It is painful. I don't use it much but when I do, I swear something is wrong with it because it is so slow! I'll also wait to see if there's a BIOS update first too.
How to make your own ISO?

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
Bit the bullet and upgraded from Win 7 Pro SP1 (retail key) to 10240 using the ISO available in the Internet.

Upgrade process went smooth and now posting this from 10. It says windows is activated. 10 is smoother, crisper & responsive than 7. There is no looking back. :D

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
updated my guide: just installing Win8 also works , i guess win7 also, just need to be activated with legit license.

Reactions: Koroke San

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
lol, back to Win 7. Motherboard drivers are not yet available for Win 10. :oops:

ESET Smart Security HIPS does not work with build 10240. In their forum they have posted that Win 10 supported version will be released next week.

What I learned is that the best thing is to wait till the official release. :p

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
At what time is licence activated i.e after upgrade completion or upgrade plus any updates completion?

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
I'm pretty sure that the license gets activated during the upgrade itself. AFAIK, there is only one update available as of now after installing build 10240.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I'm pretty sure that the license gets activated during the upgrade itself. AFAIK, there is only one update available as of now after installing build 10240.
So I can do clean install immediately after the licence is activated?

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
Yes, MS will provide an option to make an ISO which you can use to perform a clean install. But those steps are not yet available yet. It should be available after the official launch.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.