[How to] Clean Install and Activate Windows 10

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
Yes, its applicable to all versions provided you have a genuine copy. But its 28th already and MS has already started rolling out the update files for the upgrade. So its better to go with the official upgrade rather than using the 10240 ISO.

Reactions: SherKaan

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
@Sloth: I'll perform an upgrade first. However, if I perform a clean install in the near future, how will it get activated?

@Sher Your license is connected with hardware. I guess they save some hardware information and then connect it with license. Next time when your PC is online, it will be activated automatically (without user input). :)

Please note that when you upgrade/change your hardware then probably your license will be invalid.

I hope it helps. :)

Regards,
Kardo

Reactions: Sloth and SherKaan

kmr1684

Level 3
Verified
Jun 23, 2014
Please note that when you upgrade/change your hardware then probably your license will be invalid.

i seriously hate this part, when hdd failed then i have to run my pc with that damaged hdd, great next what stupid M$:mad:

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014

i seriously hate this part, when hdd failed then i have to run my pc with that damaged hdd, great next what stupid M$:mad:
well it can be connected to hardware but not hdd I'm sure, it's something that often is changed due to failures or so.

Reactions: Kardo Kristal

kmr1684

Level 3
Verified
Jun 23, 2014
well it can be connected to hardware but not hdd I'm sure, it's something that often is changed due to failures or so.
ok mate i will come according to your statement when i upgrade my mother and processor and graphics card then, i need to purchase again, really stupid idea from M$, bind to the hardware id.

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
ok mate i will come according to your statement when i upgrade my mother and processor and graphics card then, i need to purchase again, really stupid idea from M$, bind to the hardware id.
yes it could have been connected to our microsoft accounts as almost everyone uses one on their machines.

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
yes but M$ stupids does not explain properly which hardware id exactly, if you have please enlighten me.

AFAIK, changing HDD is not an issue.

Windows 8/8.1 keys are tied to motherboards and I think its the same for older versions too.

So I guess that it will be the same for Win10 too. :)

If you have a retail copy, then you can deactivate the key & use it in a new PC (or motherboard).

Reactions: Kardo Kristal

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
From what I read, users are getting ISO's with different size/SHA1 when using the microsoft tool. So I think that people who like to do a clean install after doing the upgrade to download the ISO with the following SHA1 sum as it supports both home & pro versions.

Code:
SHA-1: 60CCE9E9C6557335B4F7B18D02CFE2B438A8B3E2

Please don't ask for download links. Just search that SHA1 sum in google and you'll get download links.

Last edited:

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Am I able to do as many clean installs as I want? I called Microsoft and they said you need to go back to the previous Windows version.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Am I able to do as many clean installs as I want? I called Microsoft and they said you need to go back to the previous Windows version.

on the same computer, clean install of Win10, yes normally, unless they changed something since i did the guide.

Microsoft's hotline is sometimes less knowledgeable than some forums users :D

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
on the same computer, clean install of Win10, yes normally, unless they changed something since i did the guide.

Microsoft's hotline is sometimes less knowledgeable than some forums users :D

Thanks.

I wish Microsoft just generated custom keys for everyone though.... it would be less trouble.

Microsoft's hotline is sometimes less knowledgeable than some forums users

Master Umbra is at it again.

Reactions: frogboy

Ashu Kumar

Level 2
Verified
Oct 6, 2014
How to make your own ISO?

You can create your own Windows 10 ISO from an ESD file downloaded through Windows update.
you can find it in "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download".

It isn't officially available. cf. ESDtoISO

There is a well documented post on this link.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...d/d2768b51-221a-436e-af4e-d3b9118a8864?auth=1

and since this ESD to ISO on Microsoft Community, one can vouch for its authenticity and it worked well for me without any problem. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
yes it could have been connected to our microsoft accounts
It isn't as an MSA isn't required; it is purely connected to the activation server.

yes but M$ stupids does not explain properly which hardware id exactly, if you have please enlighten me
There are explanations of this; I just read a detailed one a few weeks ago but I can't find it. Small changes (hard drive, adding some RAM, changing a video card) won't trigger activation but changing several things at once may. Additionally, changing the motherboard will trigger it as will, sometimes, flashing BIOS.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
You can create your own Windows 10 ISO from an ESD file downloaded through Windows update.
you can find it in "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download".

There is a well documented post on this link.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...d/d2768b51-221a-436e-af4e-d3b9118a8864?auth=1

and since this ESD to ISO on Microsoft Community, one can vouch for its authenticity and it worked well for me without any problem. :)
I too used ISO created from ESD & no probs upgrade/install Win 10 here.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.