[How to] Clean Install and Activate Windows 10

marton2

May 30, 2019
If I got a virus on my pc and I install:Microsoft's Media Creation Tool and create a booteable usb, how i know that the usb booteable is not inffected ? Or should I create the booteale usb in other pc ?
Don't worry about it,as long as you can make one with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool,and use the bootable USB as the first boot device.Normally,the computer can be booted by it.

As long as we do what needs to be done, everything will go according to plan .

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: [correlate]

zoeyalex87

Apr 11, 2020
IIRC, once you download your Win 10 upgrade from a Win7/8.1 installation, you will get your own personal activation key.

The Microsoft servers will now have your computer registered and this activation key linked to it.

At this moment, you will now be able to do a clean install of Win 10 as your activation key will correctly activate the OS.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
IIRC, once you download your Windows 10 upgrade from a Windows 7/8.1 installation, you will get your own personal activation key.

The Microsoft servers will now have your computer registered and this activation key linked to it.

At this moment, you will now be able to do a clean install of Windows 10 as your activation key will correctly activate the OS.
...thats right:

few weeks ago i upgraded one of my laptops to W10 (free upgrade). AFAIK upgrading to W10 first is the easiest way to avoid problems with activation. Before performing a clean instal you should always perform an upgrade installation of W10 ! Thats the way i upgraded one of my machines to W10: my old windows key (after upgrading) has been tranferred to my brand new upgrade installation. Few days ago i was able to perform a clean instal of W10: this installation has been correctly (re-)activated with a digital licence from the microsoft servers.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Here is a short (and quite fresh) article about activating and creating a local and/or microsoft account while installing/upgrading to W10. I used the informations in this article for my upgrade and clean installation of w10.

Krouney

Nov 25, 2020
I am only interested in reinstalling the system. As for the Windows upgrade, it is a nightmare as for me.
How did i install Windows 10.
With Rufus:
Downloading Windows iso.
Burining and Creating a Windows installation disk.
Doing a clean Windows 10 installation on computer.
And done.

Reactions: [correlate]
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Thread author
I am only interested in reinstalling the system. As for the Windows upgrade, it is a nightmare as for me.
How did i install Windows 10.
With Rufus:
Downloading Windows iso.
Burining and Creating a Windows installation disk.
Doing a clean Windows 10 installation on computer.
And done.
Why not use Windows internal Reset feature or InPlace upgrade ?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.