Advice Request How to configure my browser/PC in order to reduce browser fingerprinting and tracking?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
So basically we as a whole have given up on privacy and are now just willing to take the fact that everyone knows everything about our pattern of life?

Like how would I apply cellphone masking/fingerprinting to that equation? How to block or randomize that? I use Adguard mobile but based on what I am seeing in terms of targeted content it's not enough.

Not at all. But sometimes extensions are not enough, especially without tweaking them. That information can be minimized, but not without some concessions on your part. Smart phones are smart for a reason. Convivence means you'll have to give something. If you are not willing to do that then do ALL of these things.

1. Get a DNS filtering service, such as NextDNS or ControlD
  2. Configure it to block as many trackers as possible, including corporations and services; Windows/Samsung/Google, etc.
  3. Configure your devices to use the service
  4. Whitelist any trackers that are causing issues
  5. Get "Adguard for Windows", not the extension
  6. Repeat steps 2-4 but with AdGuard for Windows
  7. Force AdGuard for Windows to use DNS service, and block anything different
  8. Install something like NoScript/DJ NoScript to customize what connections can and cannot be made to your browser
  9. Be prepared for the tedious pain of steps 1-8
  10. Be prepared for your devices to not be as convenient as they once were
  11. Use no free services. If it's free you then are the product.

Is the above perfect? No. Wil in protect you from everything? No Can you ever expect perfect privacy? (No pun intended) No. But it's a start.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
And Trace isn't receiving new updates too. Not the best choice of extensions tbh. @TedCruz
Completely agree on these two.

I say use built-in browser features, flags, etc. to achieve the best that you're able to meet your needs/wishes, whatever browser you're using, and keep it simple with extensions, e.g. I'm planning to use either µBO Minus or Agduard MV3 (depending on future development) in Edge and probably nothing else. In the end, I accept Edge for what it is, and isn't.

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Completely agree on these two.

I say use built-in browser features, flags, etc. to achieve the best that you're able to meet your needs/wishes, whatever browser you're using, and keep it simple with extensions, e.g. I'm planning to use either µBO Minus or Agduard MV3 (depending on future development) in Edge and probably nothing else. In the end, I accept Edge for what it is, and isn't.

True. But better privacy can be achieved by using things outside the browser. Since spying is not just within the browser. There needs to be both.

Reactions: TedCruz

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
So basically we as a whole have given up on privacy and are now just willing to take the fact that everyone knows everything about our pattern of life?

Like how would I apply cellphone masking/fingerprinting to that equation? How to block or randomize that? I use Adguard mobile but based on what I am seeing in terms of targeted content it's not enough.
I haven't given up. I just don't care, I don't use social media which is a huge step in keeping your private life private. If they want to know what sites I browse then have at her.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Not at all. But sometimes extensions are not enough, especially without tweaking them. That information can be minimized, but not without some concessions on your part. Smart phones are smart for a reason. Convivence means you'll have to give something. If you are not willing to do that then do ALL of these things.

2. Configure it to block as many trackers as possible, including corporations and services; Windows/Samsung/Google, etc.
  8. Install something like NoScript/DJ NoScript to customize what connections can and cannot be made to your browser

Is the above perfect? No. Wil in protect you from everything? No Can you ever expect perfect privacy? (No pun intended) No. But it's a start.
You can do all this and fret and worry and try to keep up and drive yourself crazy or do like me and not care. I use UBO, and do not use social media, that's the extent of me trying to keep anything private, got more important things to worry about.;)

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
You can do all this and fret and worry and try to keep up and drive yourself crazy or do like me and not care. I use UBO, and do not use social media, that's the extent of me trying to keep anything private, got more important things to worry about.;)
Hallelujah! An ad blocker plus whatever protective features the browser offers. :cool:

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021

Oh, I agree. But that's not what @TedCruz was asking about. What you're saying is a conclusion most eventually come to. Until then, most want some version of these steps because they think they'll help their privacy. And, they will. Balance matters.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Hallelujah! An ad blocker plus whatever protective features the browser offers. :cool:
Yup, all I need as I have better things to do than mess around with browser settings, DNS, browser extensions etc trying to get some semblance of privacy which isn't going to happen. Let them eat cake, or in other words let them see my browser history, will be quite boring me thinks. If I was so paranoid that I would feel the need to keep everything so private then I would just stay off the internet. You versus Google or Microsoft.. whose going to win?;)

Last edited:

TedCruz

Level 5
Thread author
Aug 19, 2022

I do all of that. I am glad that I am on the right path. The only question I have is how do I perform the second part of step 7?

I haven't given up. I just don't care, I don't use social media which is a huge step in keeping your private life private. If they want to know what sites I browse then have at her.
I agree the only social network I use is reddit and they have massive massive fingerprinting techniques that came to bare right around the 2020 election. They turned them on to reduce the number of misinformation bot farms.

Fully agree with that. I am the same way. However, as with anti-malware. It's basically 20 minutes of your life to setup and configure a system that then will protect you and ensure your privacy without further intervention from your side.

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
Right now I am using Browser Bubble for anti-finger printing with BlackFog as a blocker on top of my browsers built in security, makes a strong combo.

Note: looks like the latest version of Browser Bubble is not available for download, not sure why.

TedCruz

Level 5
Thread author
Aug 19, 2022
Right now I am using Browser Bubble for anti-finger printing with BlackFog as a blocker on top of my browsers built in security, makes a strong combo.

Note: looks like the latest version of Browser Bubble is not available for download, not sure why.
It might have bursted.

Once it gets reinflated I will give it a whirl! Thanks for the suggestion!

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I do all of that. I am glad that I am on the right path. The only question I have is how do I perform the second part of step 7?

Remember this is using AdGuard for Windows, not the extension. You'll need to supply your own DNS server, from NextDNS, ControlD, AdGuard Home, etc.

Screenshot 2022-09-11 083915.jpg

TedCruz

Level 5
Thread author
Aug 19, 2022
Remember this is using AdGuard for Windows, not the extension. You'll need to supply your own DNS server, from NextDNS, ControlD, AdGuard Home, etc.

View attachment 269103
ahh gotcha. Ok Yeah I have that turned on. I thought that AdGuard had additional setting like some VPN providers where they supposedly kill all network if not going through VPN.

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
ahh gotcha. Ok Yeah I have that turned on. I thought that AdGuard had additional setting like some VPN providers where they supposedly kill all network if not going through VPN.

Careful that you do not confuse products. AdGuard for Windows, AdGuard Home, and AdGuard VPN are all different products. I'd assume what you're talkng about if with AdGuard VPN, as most VPNs have a feature like that.

Mystic

Level 4
Verified
Aug 25, 2022

It comes down to you choices of the apps that you use. Are you using Google services (Gmail, YouTube and Docs)?
There are more privacy-friendly services to almost everything from the big-tech.

TedCruz

Level 5
Thread author
Aug 19, 2022
It comes down to you choices of the apps that you use. Are you using Google services (Gmail, YouTube and Docs)?
There are more privacy-friendly services to almost everything from the big-tech.
Sadly I am stuck on Gmail. Have been an early beta adopter so have been using the same email since 2004 when Gmail was touted as unlimited.

But for YouTube I use Vanced. And I don't use docs. The only service from Google is Gmail and Vanced. No other social network besides Reddit and that's just to read world news and news. And now to follow the news on the war in Ukraine.

Reactions: Mystic

Mystic

Level 4
Verified
Aug 25, 2022
Sadly I am stuck on Gmail. Have been an early beta adopter so have been using the same email since 2004 when Gmail was touted as unlimited
Almost everything about your life is in your email. What you buy, whom you meet, what you're interested in is in there. Big tech scan your email and profile you.

TedCruz

Level 5
Thread author
Aug 19, 2022
Almost everything about your life is in your email. What you buy, whom you meet, what you're interested in is in there. Big tech scan your email and profile you.
Yeap I am fully aware of that. I am focused on allowing the few to know about me, what I want to prevent is giving others knowledge about me without my permission.

For example my coworker crticizes me for not using Tick Tock but using Google. What I tell him is that I would rather keep my data within the country I am part off. Being a former military, uncle Sam allready knows everything about me. However, I would rather not let another country for Example China also know everything about me but now without my permission or without the need to know.

I am not their citizen nor I have a desire to travel there so there is no reason why that foreign entity should build a profile about me and my pattern of life.

Reactions: Mystic and n8chavez

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.