Advice Request How to configure my browser/PC in order to reduce browser fingerprinting and tracking?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Mystic

Level 4
Verified
Aug 25, 2022
I'm using NextDNS using DoH protocol in my browser settings. Both Firefox and Chromium-based browsers allow you to use secure DNS. You can also use NextDNS system-wide if you install their Windows client.

As far as I know, the more changes you make in browser settings (including enabling and disabling some flags) can make you more unique to track.

I'm not using any browser extentions except for MBBG.

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
There are other ways to use NextDNS system-wide, such as using YogaDNS or DoH via Windows 11. If you are using Firefox, enable ResistFingerprinting. That'll help. If you are using Chrom(ium), you can install the extension jshelter to prevent fingerprinting. But @Mystic is right, more addons does't mean better. In fact it can be worse because it increases your attack service. Only install ones you absolutely need. Less is better.

That being said, I don't know if there's a better privacy related extension than uBlockOrigin. Using its medium mode, you can block entire domains from making a connection. With a little training it'll help a lot.

Last edited:

TedCruz

Level 5
Thread author
Aug 19, 2022
I'm using NextDNS using DoH protocol in my browser settings. Both Firefox and Chromium-based browsers allow you to use secure DNS. You can also use NextDNS system-wide if you install their Windows client.

As far as I know, the more changes you make in browser settings (including enabling and disabling some flags) can make you more unique to track.

I'm not using any browser extentions except for MBBG.
Is there a way to block what flags and extensions the browser is using or spoof that info?

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Is there a way to block what flags and extensions the browser is using or spoof that info?
I believe this type of tracking is a variable of fingerprinting, which can be countered to some degree by 'privacy.resist.fingerprinting' flag or Canvas Blocker extension in Firefox. JShelter extension is available for both chromium and Firefox browsers. I can't say they address these particular variables. Maybe others know more.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Browser fingerprinting is a big subject. It is not just about blocking ads/trackers. It's about you not leaving a trace on the net to be easily targeted.

It involves your hardware, browser and OS as well like what screen size, what OS, your mouse movement, what GPU, how many cores your CPU has etc. Others include what extensions you use, hiding/rotating your IP address, change in fingerprint each time you visit a new website, the uniqueness of your browser, browser compartmentalization, blocking/cleaning up your cookies, cleaning cache/history, blocking fonts and glyphs, minimizing your OS/browser from collecting your data, preventing data exfiltration (aka data theft), use of VM etc

Some software/extensions are good for

1) blocking ads/trackers/unsafe sites like uBO, Emsisoft Browser Security, Adguard etc
2) spoofing your hardware info like Scriptsafe, Trace etc
3) VPN for hiding/rotating your IP address
4) spoofing keyboard strokes like Keyboard Privacy extension
5) hardening your OS/browser to minimize data collection

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
From the security and privacy point of view, I am sick of targeted ads.
I can't add much more to what @oldschool and @HarborFront said. But you should know that it doesn't really help to randomly change your IP adress when your browser is set to another language than the language of the country where your IP adress is coming from or when your browser is set to a completely different time-zone than the country of the IP adress you are connected to for example. You need to align all the information correctly or you will be basically more unique than before. So fingerprinting is a very complex topic that can't be solved by installing a few extensions. I personally don't really think much of privacy extensions, but some time ago I checked out the JShelter and Windscribe extension and I think both of them do quite a good job at covering a few fingerprinting techniques.

Last edited:

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I use Multi-Account Containers in Firefox and set ETP to strict. Then I set various websites to load in particular containers, and if needed use throwaway or fake accounts. Beyond that, I use an adblocker usually in default mode (uBlock Origin is free; Adguard for desktop has lifetime, multi-device promos and can block ads in several apps, like Ferdium).

If something gets broken in a site, I have to turn off ETP and/or disable something (usually a list or an element blocked) for that site.

Reactions: Sorrento and Mystic

Pixelman

Level 4
Well-known
Jun 7, 2022
And don't get too paranoid. It's good to have a reasonable digital hygiene, security and privacy practices, but don't over do it.
The more software, tweaks, add-ons you have the greater chance of something to break will be.

There's only so much we can do about this matter. :emoji_beer:

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
From the security and privacy point of view, I am sick of targeted ads.
You mean you still see ads? Or about the tracking that's happening once you use the internet?
Firefox with multicontainer addon, strict blocking and adguard desktop (with activated DNS) and I see no targeted ads since I see nearly no ads at all. The more shady sites get the higher the chance that I would see ads (atleast for my surfing habbits). Are they still tracking me? Probably but I see (nearly) no ads which is my goal since I can never avoid all the tracking options (HarborFront mentioned quite a lot).

TedCruz

Level 5
Thread author
Aug 19, 2022
Browser fingerprinting is a big subject. It is not just about blocking ads/trackers. It's about you not leaving a trace on the net to be easily targeted.

It involves your hardware, browser and OS as well like what screen size, what OS, your mouse movement, what GPU, how many cores your CPU has etc. Others include what extensions you use, hiding/rotating your IP address, change in fingerprint each time you visit a new website, the uniqueness of your browser, browser compartmentalization, blocking/cleaning up your cookies, cleaning cache/history, blocking fonts and glyphs, minimizing your OS/browser from collecting your data, preventing data exfiltration (aka data theft), use of VM etc

Some software/extensions are good for

1) blocking ads/trackers/unsafe sites like uBO, Emsisoft Browser Security, Adguard etc
2) spoofing your hardware info like Scriptsafe, Trace etc
3) VPN for hiding/rotating your IP address
4) spoofing keyboard strokes like Keyboard Privacy extension
5) hardening your OS/browser to minimize data collection
Thank you all.

Is script safe and Trace an extension for the browser? I want to make sure I download the correct thing vs an app.

TedCruz

Level 5
Thread author
Aug 19, 2022
"Sad but true" -Metallica
So basically we as a whole have given up on privacy and are now just willing to take the fact that everyone knows everything about our pattern of life?

Like how would I apply cellphone masking/fingerprinting to that equation? How to block or randomize that? I use Adguard mobile but based on what I am seeing in terms of targeted content it's not enough.

Reactions: Mystic

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.