Guide | How To How to create Automated Malwarebytes tasks (free version)

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Tom172

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 11, 2011
09/06/2014 Note: This guide does not work with newer versions of Malwarebytes (v2.0 onwards). It may be updated if possible in the future.

In this guide I'll show you how to create some useful Automated tasks for Malwarebytes Anti Malware free version.

First, we'll start with updating automatically.

To get started, you'll need to create a batch file. To do this open up notepad and enter the following code:

For 64-bit users only
Code:
@echo off
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /update

For 32-bit users only
Code:
@echo off
"C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /update

Then save the file by going to file > Save As :

Name the file MalwarebytesUpdate.bat and where it says "Save as type" select "All files" and then click save.
That's your batch file done. Make sure to store the file(s) somewhere where they are not likely to be deleted.

Now to create the scheduled task that will perform the update automatically.

Type "Task scheduler" into the start menu search box and press enter.

Click Create Task on the right hand pane.
qeeTA.png

Next you'll name the task.

Make sure to select the option to run the task with highest privileges.

zvcHm.png

Next you can set up when you'd like the task to run.

YESF3.png

Now you will select the Action to perform. You want to start a program.
Next browse to the location where you created your batch file.

ZG8vx.png

You can leave the last two tabs ( Conditions and settings) as they are, however feel free to adjust them. Now just click OK and your task is created.

Malwarebytes will now update automatically at the given time you specified.

How to schedule a full scan or quick scan

To schedule a full scan or quick scan is the same process as above, however we have to make an alteration to the code in the batch file:

Quick Scan code:

For 64-bit only
Code:
@echo off
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /scan

For 32-bit only
Code:
@echo off
"C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /scan

Full Scan code:

For 64-bit only
Code:
@echo off
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /fullscan

For 32-bit only

Code:
@echo off
"C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /fullscan

Repeat the same process as above in order to schedule these tasks.

I hope you found this guide useful :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Littlebits

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
+1 for using Windows Task Scheduler. It still makes MBAM an on-demand scanner, but updates the database without you needing to remember.

Though you might want to store the .bat files in a location where you won't accidentally delete them, or make them hidden. You could leave them in the C:/ or within a folder there (like I have done). ;)

Personally, I prefer this method (done using the Registry Editor). I can show you when I make some time.

qaRfm.png

Tom172

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 11, 2011
Yes, I should have said to store them somewhere safe. Thanks Earth.

Looking forward to seeing your guide ;)

waynomo

Oct 24, 2012
Thank you for this tip.

I was wondering, is the bat file really necessary? Why can't you just use task scheduler to startup Malwarebytes and use /update or /scan or /fullscan as an argument?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The quickest way I know of updating without creating additional files or tasks:

1. WinKey + R
2. Type "mbam /update" without quotes.

If I'm right it should work, as I don't currently use Malwarebytes.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Earth said:

1. WinKey + R

Yes it works fine

waynomo

Oct 24, 2012
Earth said:

1. WinKey + R

That should probably work, but the idea is to have all this happen automatically. So hence using task scheduler. I have set up two tasks. One to update, and then a few minutes later 1 to do a full scan. I will report back after I have had a few days to test.

Unfortunately I am running the free version and apparently the -silent parameter doesn't work with /update. So it will leave a dialog box open. We will have to see if that prevents the scan task from working. If so, I will need to separate the update from the scan by 24 hours.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I understand, I used this at one point but instead added the shortcuts to my right-click context menu. :)

David92595

Feb 4, 2013
I'm setting this up in my home office, but the security settings I have to comply with for my clients brings up the "User account Control" window that asks me: Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this compuer?

Does anyone know a way to script the yes button? when this message box apprears?

Thank you,

David92595

Tom172

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 11, 2011
David92595 said:
I'm setting this up in my home office, but the security settings I have to comply with for my clients brings up the "User account Control" window that asks me: Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this compuer?

Does anyone know a way to script the yes button? when this message box apprears?

Thank you,

David92595

Hi David, welcome.

Did you tick this box as shown in the image?

zvcHm.png

David92595

Feb 4, 2013
Yes I did. I also set it to run whether user is logged on or not. I even tried running this under the local admin account...

The issue I'm having is even my local admin account is set to "Default - Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer". Which is something I have to keep to stay in comliance with my customers...

Any other idea? :)

David92595

Tom172

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 11, 2011
Sorry David, I've done some searching and couldn't come up with anything. The problem being UAC is a blanket all or nothing deal.

If I come across a solution I'll make sure to post.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.