Guide | How To How to create Automated Malwarebytes tasks (free version)

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Tom172

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 11, 2011
Ok so I think I've come up with a solution.

It involves installing a program which will launch Malwarebytes without a UAC prompt.

Download (32-bit) > http://www.itknowledge24.com/files/uacts_x86.zip
Download (64-bit) > http://www.itknowledge24.com/files/uacts_x64.zip

Once installed, you'll create a shortcut using UAC Trust.

3sid2Wj.png

This will create a shortcut on your Desktop (You can move it wherever you wish)

Now replace the batch file used in Task Scheduler with the shortcut you've just created.

Hopefully this works :)

Reactions: Ink

palmerito0

Apr 26, 2014
This does not work for me. I tried running the batch file (without the task scheduler and no admin), I got the UAC, and Malwarebytes opened, but nothing happened.

This is my code:

@echo off
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /fullscan

Edit:
Could some1 also tell me how to display code?

UncleScotty

Jun 3, 2014
Does this whole process require a restart in order to be in effect? I created both batch files and scheduled them to run 5 minutes later.
Nothing happened.
Are there parameters for the location of the bat files.........other than "someplace safe"?

Tried clicking on View All Running Tasks.....and saw a window that suggests the Update Definitions task has been running for 27 min.....which would be unusually long.........and that the Quick Scan scheduled has now been running for 5.5 minutes.

Thing is, I don't see any windows open for MBAM; wouldn't they have to be open and visible...just as though I were running the program 'manually'?

Screenshot 2014-06-03 14.28.12.png

Last edited:

UncleScotty

Jun 3, 2014
Just checked my Task Status window.....and it says MBAM Quick Scan is still running............since 2:25 PM........4 hours and 20 minutes ago!!!
I don't THINK so!
The definitions update appears to have run OK......but definitely not the Quick Scan.

Thoughts?

upload_2014-6-3_16-49-24.png

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
After reading back, I'd realized this thread began October 2011. I'm wondering o_Oif this is applicable to the newer version of Malwarebytes Anti-malware.;)

UncleScotty

Jun 3, 2014
I'm not sure which version it MIGHT apply to. I tried it with my ver 1 that I had on my machine last week.......then ver 2.0.2.1012, yesterday.

"Automation" didn't seem to work for either one.

Can we get a "show of hands"? Has ANYBODY been able to automate the loading and running of ANY version of Malwarebytes Antimalware?

Thanks for any feedback.

Michael

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Tom172

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 11, 2011
Hi,

I had a go at running these again on my system (Windows 7 64-bit), Malwarebytes version 1.75.0.1300

I tested the update and quick scans and they both worked.

You do however have to acknowledge a UAC prompt prior to allowing the scans to start. I think I came up with a workaround a few posts back.

Also make sure you use the correct 32 or 64-bit locations for the exe's depending on your Windows version.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

UncleScotty

Jun 3, 2014
Thanks for getting back, Tom. I'm curious that you haven't updated to ver 2 of MBAM. ?

Also, in the new version, I see the "Quick Scan" option no longer exists; would this have an effect on the format of your proposed bat file?

Thanks for any help.

P.S. Saw your UAC Trust Shortcut suggestion...am having a little difficulty getting IT to run, too....but I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling. I'm just not having much luck with this whole project. Strange that no one else is talking about it one way or the other. ?!?

Tom172

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 11, 2011
It does appear that the guide would need to be updated for MBAM v2, as the switches (eg. "mbam.exe /scan") don't seem to work. You can test this by entering them into the Windows run box.

If you rely on Malwarebytes a lot then it may be worth your while going for the paid version which includes scheduling automated tasks.

I haven't upgraded to MBAM v2 until now only because I haven't been using my PC much. It's looking nice though.

This is the problem with making guides and forgetting about them :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.