How to do a backup?

Oxygen

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Please move it if in wrong section

After loosing many important files due to system failure I've decided to try to do a backup but i don't know how.
1. What program should i use?
2. How do i do the backup?

Last edited:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I recommend to back up (copy) the important data to external hard drive or secure it and upload to the some cloud service.
Your system (system partition) can be backed up (system imaging software) with many programs and of course with Windows build-in back up features...
Do you want me to continue? :)

Oxygen

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I recommend to back up (copy) the important data to external hard drive or secure it and upload to the some cloud service.
Your system (system partition) can be backed up (system imaging software) with many programs and of course with Windows build in back up features...
Do you want me to continue? :)
Yes, Please continue...

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Well, correct me if I am wrong but if I remember you are using Windows 8 (8.1)

In order to create a Windows 8 system image, the step-by-step instructions given below should be followed:

1. Log on to a Windows 8 computer with the administrator account.
  2. Click the Desktop tile from the Start screen to go to the desktop.
  3. Once on the desktop screen, hover the mouse to the bottom right corner.
  4. From the displayed options, click Settings.
  5. From the Settings pane, click Control Panel.
  6. On the Control Panel window, click System and Security category.
  7. On the System and Security window, click File History from the right pane.
  8. From the left pane of the File History window, click Windows File Recovery option at the bottom.
  9. On the Windows File Recovery window, click Create a system image from the left pane.
  10. On the Create a system image window, click to select On a hard disk radio button. (In this demonstration). Alternatively, On one or more DVDs or On a network location radio button can also be selected to store Windows 8 system image backup to multiple optical media discs or on a network location, respectively.
  11. Once selected, click Next.
  12. On the Confirm your backup settings page, click Start backup to initiate the backup process.
  13. Wait until the Windows 8 system image is created. On the displayed Create a system repair disc box, click No to skip the system repair disc creation process. Alternatively, the Yes button can also be clicked in order to create a system repair disc.
  14. Back on the Create a system image box, click Close.
  15. Once done, close the Windows File Recovery window.

I can recommend you to create system repair disk for "just in case" you encounter the problem (malware infection, driver failure or similar) and your Windows won't boot, so you can restore your system from that disk.

In my case, I am using AOMEI Backupper. (Used Paragon BackUp and Recovery Free, EASEUS...) but found the AOMEI the most user friendly and, at the same time, full with great features.

Well, just install it first.
AOMEI-Data-Backuper_1.png

as you know how to back up your important documents, photos, music etc I will show you how to to do a system backup
  • So, you will click on the second option "System Backup"
  • You will just choose the partition where your operating system is installed, select it and select the destination where the backup will be saved
AOMEI-Data-Backuper_2.png

• You see at the bottom of the program there is a "Backup Options"
  • There you can securely protect your backup with password, choose the compression method (maximum compression-longest time for backup to be created but the smaller size of the backup will be), etc
All these backup-restore functions can be (I personally do this in this "cold way") used from the bootable media you will create going into Utilities- Create Bootable Media
AOMEI-Data-Backuper_7.png

AOMEI-Data-Backuper_8.png

• From there you can create Linux or Windows Preinstalation Environment Rescue disk that will serve you in the cases your Windows cannot boot, or you just want to restore a backup for any other reason you have.
  • I recommend you to create Rescue Media Disk (ISO) choosing Windows PE - since it has much better compatibility with drivers and file systems
  • Burn that ISO to the CD or you can boot it from USB using YUMI / check these posts
http://malwaretips.com/threads/how-did-boramurdar-get-aeomi-backupper-working.22760/#post-162658
http://malwaretips.com/threads/creating-an-anti-malware-flash-drive.22334/#post-179656
From that disk you can restore your backup just selecting the backup (where you put it before) and select the destination where system backup will be restored.

System rescue disks (ISO format) can be burned by Windows Image Burner implemented in Windows...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you're using Windows 8, they recommend using File History located at:
From desktop > Control Panel > View All (Small Icons) > File History
From Start Screen > PC Settings > Update and Recovery > File History

Else, same as above, but you're in full control. Copy and paste files from your Documents, Music, Video, Pictures to an External HDD with appropriate folder names.

Bora has already mentioned how to create a System Image and Recovery DVD in his post.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
> Will AX64 Time Machine work on Windows 8.1 latest version?
> With the AX64 Time Machine could someone tell the steps need to restore the PC? .
> Would still AX64 Time Machine work? And how?

> And which is better Windows 8.1 current backup from external hard drive and/or AX64 Time Machine?
> Or Both? From above?

Thanks!:confused:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I don't know how to create a "Boot Disk" and i don't know what kind of Disc to use to make it.
You can do it in several ways :
  • Almost every good backup program has an option to create a bootable media (boot disk) for example
    see the second option "create bootable media" so it will allow you to, burn that media on the blank CD, "burn" it to a USB drive (all contents of the USB will be erased), or just make an ISO file and then you can burn that ISO file with your favorite burning program, or Image Burner in Windows, to a blank CD.
  • There is also an option to create Multiboot USB drive where you can put several ISO files like Kaspersky Rescue Disk, AOMEI Backupper Bootable Disk, Hiren's Boot CD, all in one USB, if you are interested please read this topic and this one

Oxygen

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
You can do it in several ways :
  • Almost every good backup program has an option to create a bootable media (boot disk) for example
    see the second option "create bootable media" so it will allow you to, burn that media on the blank CD, "burn" it to a USB drive (all contents of the USB will be erased), or just make an ISO file and then you can burn that ISO file with your favorite burning program, or Image Burner in Windows, to a blank CD.
  • There is also an option to create Multiboot USB drive where you can put several ISO files like Kaspersky Rescue Disk, AOMEI Backupper Bootable Disk, Hiren's Boot CD, all in one USB, if you are interested please read this topic and this one
I understand all of that, but where do i get this "boot disk/disc" ?

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
> And which is better Windows 8.1 current backup from external hard drive and/or AX64 Time Machine?
> Or Both? From above?

Thanks!:confused:

D

Deleted member 178

AX64 is an hybrid between snapshot soft (like Rollback RX) and a classic imaging soft (like Paragon or macrium); it is better to have both.

Reactions: Oxygen

Oxygen

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I'm never going to do a backup.... I'll never understand.

D

Deleted member 178

you have to learn fantasy , it is very simple and vital ; check the "How-to" section on the forum , you have some tutorial here ;)

which OS you have right now?

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
For Windows 8.1 current version! Do you know if, there any bugs/problems with AX64 Time Machine at this point?
And can you use Windows 8.1 for "creating bootable disk/media"? Or using a 3rd party software best for this "creating
bootable disk/media"?

Many thanks!;)

Oxygen

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
you have to learn fantasy , it is very simple and vital ; check the "How-to" section on the forum , you have some tutorial here ;)

which OS you have right now?
I have Windows 8.1 on 4 laptops & 1 desktop... 2 more laptops with windows 7 pro.

Windows 8.1 on the one i'm on now.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.