Guide | How To How to enable or disable defrag of Boot Files in Vista/7

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
I just do like this:
and, already tested with the old machine (running windows 7)
it makes the old system better for the startup time (faster than before)
SalXq.png

D

Deleted member 178

Win7 we talk about Boot Time defrag, Auslogics doesn't have this feature... :D

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
umbrapolaris said:

Boot time defrag built into a defrag program does mean its necessarily better. Heck just look at TuneUp Utilities. 90% of what TuneUp does your OS does.

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Maximus said:
umbrapolaris said:

Boot time defrag built into a defrag program does mean its necessarily better. Heck just look at TuneUp Utilities. 90% of what TuneUp does your OS does.

Very fair comment, it's like another fancy looking Norton lol..

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
It is not necessarily about boot time defrag (defragmentation during the boot process, in the way 3rd party defragmenters do it to defrag files that are in use while Windows is running such as MFT, page-file, registry, etc.) but defragmentation of files used during boot. Windows tries to lower the time a machine takes to boot up by defragmenting the files that are used during this process and placing them in faster areas of your HDD. It is a good feature and as far as I can see Auslogics doesn't interfere with it. It lets Windows do its job.

If the registry option is on you can perform this optimization by running defrag c: -b at the command prompt. If the registry setting is turned off you will receive an error message.

ChivasMex

Oct 22, 2011
When i run defrag c: -b in cmd I get an error that says"Some registry entries were missing from the boot optimization section ot the registry" <0x89000017>

Any help?

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Did you check in the Registry Editor that, Enable is set to Y located here:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction

See Post #1 for the Guide.

It should work, after modifying the registry (use with caution).

ro0VK.png

ChivasMex

Oct 22, 2011
Earth said:
Did you check in the Registry Editor that, Enable is set to Y located here:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction

See Post #1 for the Guide.

It should work, after modifying the registry (use with caution).

ro0VK.png

Ok, i don't know what happened but i tried it again right now and it started working by itself with no errors.
Thanks

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.