Guide | How To How to Fix Windows Startup Problems

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
B

Brian

Thread author
Hi guys,

I wrote a new guide: http://www.selectrealsecurity.com/fix-windows-startup/

There are many reasons why Windows may not be starting. Sometimes it may be related to hardware, while other times it may be due to malware. Whatever the reason, this guide will help you find the solution.

I would appreciate any feedback. :)

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
I noticed you left out MalwareTips in your copying, I mean your guide again.

Better Guide

Brian said:
Hi guys,

I wrote a new guide: hxxp://www.selectrealsecurity.com/fix-windows-startup/

There are many reasons why Windows may not be starting. Sometimes it may be related to hardware, while other times it may be due to malware. Whatever the reason, this guide will help you find the solution.

I would appreciate any feedback. :)

B

Brian

Thread author
Hi,

Please stop trolling. I have no obligation to include this forum in my guide.

Thanks,
Brian

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
pcjunklist said:

That's harsh,
The link you provided is written in 2010 and you can find almost 1000 post on various forums and blogs about this topic with same method,that not means everybody copies.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Great guide. Have to say used this one or twice when I had a start up error. :) Thanks for the guide :)

P

Plexx

Thread author
The windows Startup Repair did fix some issues in a few systems where I used the feature but at the same time crippled the system with some drivers being messed up after etc.

Still not an approach I would take. If I had no opion, I would use a 3rd party tool for it. If I had the option, restore image, plain, simple and hassle free

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Biozfear said:
The windows Startup Repair did fix some issues in a few systems where I used the feature but at the same time crippled the system with some drivers being messed up after etc.

Still not an approach I would take. If I had no opion, I would use a 3rd party tool for it. If I had the option, restore image, plain, simple and hassle free

system image restore sometimes not solve the problem.
for example if you install linux along with windows and then uninstall linux after that make your partition as it was before installing linux by using some software like easus , and then comes the real problem and most of the time system image restore don't work and if it work you will feel some unusual delay start up or some crashes.
In this typo case the above tutorial works

P

Plexx

Thread author
yeah you have a point there, but automatically based on the guide I assumed it would target the user with one OS only.

and restoring the image would resolve the issue, as long as the user has the relevant docs etc backup.

I don't like dual booting. Rather stick to VM for that. Never know what may happen.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Biozfear said:
yeah you have a point there, but automatically based on the guide I assumed it would target the user with one OS only.

and restoring the image would resolve the issue, as long as the user has the relevant docs etc backup.

I don't like dual booting. Rather stick to VM for that. Never know what may happen.
The worst thinh i like (worst than malware :p) is dual booting.
I know most of members will not agree with me but its my opinion
+2 for you;)

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
I understand you have no obligation but it would be common courtesy to include the site. You come to this forum and ask for suggestions and help writting your guides but never include MalwareTips.

Brian said:
Hi,

Please stop trolling. I have no obligation to include this forum in my guide.

Thanks,
Brian

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
2010 links, there has been 0 system changes in windows 7 to warrant and update to any guide. There are a plethora of guides so people can choose whichever guide they please, they are all the same. I have also learned that most likely this will not fix the problem in Win7, a reinstall is almost always required.

Stranger said:
pcjunklist said:

That's harsh,
The link you provided is written in 2010 and you can find almost 1000 post on various forums and blogs about this topic with same method,that not means everybody copies.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
I agree with you most of the time its required clean install but believe me chance of fixing boot if its not damaged to the point where you have no choice this method helps well and I do the above step on my gaming laptop (where there is no vm) and i install linux on that machine.
Its work very well for me.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
What I should have said is try those steps first. I haven't had any real luck with it, but certainly try and fix it before doing a reinstall or clean install. I didn't mean to tell everyone don't bother trying to fix it, but just be aware that most of the time it will not fix the boot problem. I have had more success with boot and mbr fixing in Windows XP for some reason though.

Stranger said:
I agree with you most of the time its required clean install but believe me chance of fixing boot if its not damaged to the point where you have no choice this method helps well and I do the above step on my gaming laptop (where there is no vm) and i install linux on that machine.
Its work very well for me.

B

Brian

Thread author
pcjunklist said:
I understand you have no obligation but it would be common courtesy to include the site. You come to this forum and ask for suggestions and help writting your guides but never include MalwareTips.

Hi,

You make a good point. I added MalwareTips to my list of useful resources: http://www.selectrealsecurity.com/useful-security-resources/  

Also, Stelian, you could have just asked. :)

P

Plexx

Thread author
I guess it boils down to personal opinion. I have seen and respect users that prefer a clean install than re-image or fixing something on boot.

However giving this tutorial as a DIY guide to a user who has beginner knowledge, 75% of the time, it will surely cripple the system. This being for several reasons: 2 of them: User writes down some steps but forgets to write some/ Prints out the guide but then gets lost and doesnt have another system to go online to cross check reference.

We should educate users to use backup utilities properly (starting from free to paid).
Never hurts learning new stuff

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Brian said:
Hi,

You make a good point. I added MalwareTips to my list of useful resources: http://www.selectrealsecurity.com/useful-security-resources/  

Also, Stelian, you could have just asked. :)

Glad to see that MalwareTips is now there. Best place to get computer advice.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.