Advice Request How to get a ransomware sample?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
What is the best way to do a demo of a virus infection? I see power shell scripts to make files. I was hoping for something I could screw up my computer!
Live malware samples are only available to certified and trained testers. But if you download a few cracks from popular torrent sites, it is likely that you will get a ransomware sample.

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
You can create a separate e-mail address (but not on gmail, there are good filters) and publish it as much as possible in all forums, chat rooms and social networks. Very quickly, this address will fall into spam databases and other bad databases, and you will receive dozens of spam emails every day in the Spam folder (some may fall into the Inbox folder). In these letters, most often malicious links are available on which you can download ransomeware for yourself, and sometimes the malware is simply attached to the letter itself as an attachment. But remember! You do everything at your own peril and risk! Be careful!

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Live malware samples are only available to certified and trained testers. But if you download a few cracks from popular torrent sites, it is likely that you will get a ransomware sample.
I wouldnt advice to torrent for samples, if you happen to seed so called clean torrent it can get you in troubles in very rare country specific situations, even its true the fake torrents can contain anything suspicious...its illegal to torrent( seed; = Share)

Its much easier to get familiar with any.run

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
It's NOT illegal to torrent. It's illegal to torrent copyrighted content.
and if the file someone is torrenting is ransomware, do the copyrighted content even exist on that torrent :unsure:

But my bad about wording, i was talking about illegal piracy

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
illegal piracy
Cracks, normally is a tool used for that specifically as one breaks/bypass the license of a software, game etc.

Another more " healthy and sound " but less funny :p advice, would probably be to watch MTs AV testers and there work in the Malware Hub. Even join them and help out would of course gain one access to very nasty samples that easy could screw up ones PC, if wanted.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.