Troubleshoot How to get back my laptop from normal start up operation?

Imelda Bilda

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 3, 2017
Since last month I noticed the unusual performance of my laptop. The internet connection is on and off especially when I will open a new tab or click a link. It seems that it prevented from opening and redirect to other site. I did a reset yesterday, after the restart, it did go back to normal screen. Just keep on repeating showing the welcome and the brand. What should I do sir?

Attachments

• IMG20171203162540.jpg
    IMG20171203162540.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 355

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Press the power button for a few seconds, until the computer is forced to shut down.
Let it sit for 30 seconds.
Try to turn it on again.

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
And if you are running your computer on battery power, try plugging it into the electricity.

It is possible that you have a hardware problem. You might want to open a ticket with Lenovo if you can't solve the problem.

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Lenovo ideapad 100-14IBD sir.
I didn't see anything for your exact model, but these instructions might work for you, if not, ask on lenovo forum:
First of all boot into the BIOS (Hold down f12 at boot, then press tab, and select bios)

next goto the security TAB

Here you will see the secure boot option enabled but greyed out.

Select "administrative password" input a password, you are now able to disable secure boot!

Upvote 0

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Try disabling secure boot.
I don't know what model you have, so I can't give you specific instructions, but you can google it, or maybe this will work for you:
How to Switch from UEFI to Legacy on Lenovo Computer
Disabling secure boot and switching to legacy boot are two different things. Switching to legacy can only be done if the bios supports it and you have to re-partition and format the system again...that means loss of data. This is because in uefi mode there is no MBR partition but legacy mode requires MBr partition. If your system does not boots, try to remove and re insert the RAM. In most ceases it will fix the issue.If it doesn't, boot to bios (by pressing F2 or " delete" or ALT+ F2 buttons), check for "hardware test option" which will test your laptop for any hardware errors if any. If its through, try to boot from a uefi enabled boot media( if you have a windows 10 iso, rufus can make you a uefi bootable media) Once you are able to boot to windows 10 installation, select "repair this computer" here you can fix a lot of things (google is your friend).

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Disabling secure boot and switching to legacy boot are two different things. Switching to legacy can only be done if the bios supports it
Right, it is not exactly the same, but if you switch to legacy, you also have disabled secure boot. I am pretty sure that if you have UEFI capability, you must also have legacy capability. They always build the mobo to be backwards compatible.

Upvote 0

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Right, it is not exactly the same, but if you switch to legacy, you also have disabled secure boot. I am pretty sure that if you have UEFI capability, you must also have legacy capability. They always build the mobo to be backwards compatible.
Secure boot is available only when your system has a valid uefi/ efi boot partitions. If you were having an efi/uefi boot partitions and was booting from that, enabling legacy option wont help in booting the computer unless and until you have finished installing an os in legacy mode. But You can disable secure boot without causing any damage to your OS. It just disables the drivers check (for microsoft signature), nothing more.

Reactions: shmu26
Upvote 0

Imelda Bilda

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 3, 2017
Hi, good evening...I'm not sure if it's ok to ask another question here. But I want to thank you first for helping me. My Lenovo is ok now, I have another problem. My toshiba laptop have the virus I think. I just notice something unusual in my browser. Everytime I open the chrome, clicking just once it will two or three in the taskbar. same problem with my lenovo. What should I do? and the user account manager is keep on appearing everytime I will open the task manager and other apps.

Attachments

• IMG20171207221926.jpg
    IMG20171207221926.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 312
  • IMG20171207222009.jpg
    IMG20171207222009.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 333
Upvote 0

Imelda Bilda

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 3, 2017
I open the microsoft store to download skype, I wonder why there is no skype. Is that possible. It only shows like the picture attached here.

Attachments

• IMG20171207223029.jpg
    IMG20171207223029.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 320
Upvote 0

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
I open the microsoft store to download skype, I wonder why there is no skype. Is that possible. It only shows like the picture attached here.
Hello, you are using Windows 8.1, correct? the Skype application has been removed from the Windows 8 / 8.1 store, only in Windows 10 it is possible to download from the store, in your case only by downloading from the Skype website. And on your laptop with problems, I would recommend formatting it, doing a clean installation, this always solves 100% of problems.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I am interested to hear how you fixed the original problem you posted about?

Reactions: vtqhtr413
Upvote 0

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
Hi, good evening...I'm not sure if it's ok to ask another question here. But I want to thank you first for helping me. My Lenovo is ok now, I have another problem. My toshiba laptop have the virus I think. I just notice something unusual in my browser. Everytime I open the chrome, clicking just once it will two or three in the taskbar. same problem with my lenovo. What should I do? and the user account manager is keep on appearing everytime I will open the task manager and other apps.

Do you have UAC set to max? On win 10 I have mine set to max and when ever I open a program including task manager, I get the same warning.

Reactions: shmu26
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.