Status
Not open for further replies.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I upgraded but exiting KES11 previously... I still had no time to check the impact, just got home and found it finished...

I've found that the upgrade has deleted all the shortcuts and customized applications/settings I had in the Desktop and in Taskbar :mad:...

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I read somewhere that 1809 will enable Windows Security Memory integrity by default. At least, if there are no driver conflicts, it will do so.
@harlan4096 does this impact Kaspersky at all?
I upgraded with KIS 19 installed, and I see no issues at all. But Memory integrity is disabled. I wonder if that means I am missing out on a default Windows security feature?
Mine is also off. If I'm not wrong if Memory Integrity is not supported on your machine it won't turn on

https://www.howtogeek.com/357757/what-are-core-isolation-and-memory-integrity-in-windows-10/

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
L

Local Host

When people force the upgrade, have no right to complain about any issues their devices may encounter.

I simply wait for it to show up on my WU as always, and everything will go smooth.

It goes in waves, and is only made available if your PC passes the compatibility check, of course this won't work if you're paranoid and disable the telemetry.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
When people force the upgrade, have no right to complain about any issues their devices may encounter.

I simply wait for it to show up on my WU as always, and everything will go smooth.

It goes in waves, and is only made available if your PC passes the compatibility check, of course this won't work if you're paranoid and disable the telemetry.
It doesn't work like that but ok.

L

Local Host

It doesn't work like that but ok.
Sorry if you misinformed, W10 Upgrades won't roll-out automatically if it finds compatibility issues on your device, as I said this doesn't work if you're paranoid and disable telemetry.

Microsoft actually used this feature in the past to stop roll-out on machines that used Avast, caused we all know what happened then.

This was actually documented by Microsoft some time ago, I don't have the time nor patience to go look for it though. It goes by experience as well, as I'm responsible for a few hundred machines with W10.

Is actually part of the process on how Microsoft chooses the first machines to get W10 Upgrades through WU. People get anxious force the upgrade, then whine when they run into issues (that are in the majorly of the cases caused by third-party software).

Since W10 was released, I always been patient, and only ran into issues once with one machine due to the printer (and my desktop at home is always part of first wave, expect to have the upgrade installed with no issues by the end of the week).

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Sorry if you misinformed, W10 Upgrades won't roll-out automatically if it finds compatibility issues on your device, as I said this doesn't work if you're paranoid and disable telemetry.

Microsoft actually used this feature in the past to stop roll-out on machines that used Avast, caused we all know what happened then.

This was actually documented by Microsoft some time ago, I don't have the time nor patience to go look for it though. It goes by experience as well, as I'm responsible for a few hundred machines with W10.

Is actually part of the process on how Microsoft chooses the first machines to get W10 Upgrades through WU. People get anxious force the upgrade, then whine when they run into issues (that are in the majorly of the cases caused by third-party software).

Since W10 was released, I always been patient, and only ran into issues once with one machine due to the printer (and my desktop at home is always part of first wave, expect to have the upgrade installed with no issues by the end of the week).
Don't worry, SHvFL is far from misinformed. He is realistic. Real-life experience shows that waiting for an update to roll out is not a panacea. There can be plenty of problems even if you wait, despite Microsoft propaganda to the contrary.

L

Local Host

Don't worry, SHvFL is far from misinformed. He is realistic. Real-life experience shows that waiting for an update to roll out is not a panacea. There can be plenty of problems even if you wait, despite Microsoft propaganda to the contrary.
Doesn't mean I'm wrong nor that the feature I mentioned doesn't exist, as I said most issues are caused by third-parties.

There's also no denying the majorly disable all form of telemetry due to the misinformation and scare campaign by the media, so there's nothing to be done on those cases.

I'll agree with W10 problematic updates when and if, I ever run into any issue in any of the machines I manage, until then it's third-parties and user problems.

The same way I never had my settings reset nor apps reinstalled, as W10 syncs the settings on my account (of course you don't have access to this, when you paranoid and disable telemetry).

When a new version of PHP is released, no one whines, (third-party developers) are forced to update their code.
When a new version of NT is released, everyone whines and blames Microsoft, cause they (third-party developers) are to lazy to update their code.

Last edited:

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I always seem to get Windows updates on Wednesday (Europe, CET time). This one was no exception. Installed on my main PC and so far everything is fine. Installing it on my hybrid netbook and next on my laptop with AMD. Minor changes on the outside, I hope everything will work fine.

Average Joe doesn't know about this stuff. He is simply victimized by Microsoft.

Isn't that wonderful for you ?

of course this won't work if you're paranoid and disable the telemetry.

One need not be paranoid to disable all telemetry. Perhaps one just wants to disable\block it on principle. You wouldn't have any issue promoting that idea if we were talking about Google - given your well-known immense dislike of Google, but since it is Microsoft that is being discussed here you are promoting a different tune. Well guess what... your experience with Windows and Microsoft is not everyone one elses' experience.

No competent admin over here rolls out Windows updates to 100 machines until extensive\exhaustive testing has been done; updates are delayed to let others be the guinea pigs. Microsoft offers the update feature in Windows for good reason - because it explicitly acknowledges (at least to the enterprise side), that Windows updates cause many breakages.

(that are in the majorly of the cases caused by third-party software).

Microsoft has admitted, in many of the borked updates, that the problems were on their end. It's documented online.

Like I said... isn't that wonderful for you ? A lot of people have problems with Windows updates, but you are always trying to denigrate and disount others' negative experiences with Windows updates. It isn't called "Bork Tuesday" for no good reason. There is an entire industry sector that follows it - and the Windows update fact-check is different than what you want people to believe.

Liking Windows is one thing, but always discounting the veracity of others' claims and being sarcastic about their poor experiences with Windows and Microsoft is an egg in their faces.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
as I said this doesn't work if you're paranoid and disable telemetry.
I remember, that I always kept error reporting enabled, despite of what other people said. I sincerely believed, that MS will actually fix something. As years passed by, I sent over hundreds of reports for various reasons and aside from being bothered by it, MS never fixed anything and then there was Start. I used Windows 8 Alfa, Beta and even the latest RC version and to my surprise RTM came out without the Start. So much for MS listening to feedback. Ever since then I disable and block everything I can, there is no point in keeping it on. Windows Insider only confirms it, known bugs being ignored, just like notifications in 1809, they do not work, when background apps are disabled, that is not some little feature, but an essential (considering phones).

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
After updating, the UAC prompt in my Standard user account no longer lets me enter the pin code. It asks for the whole password. But it only does this on one Standard user account. The other SUA works like it should.

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
I respect all who replied to this thread. On my own humble opinion, Microsoft plays a major role in this tragedy. Windows 10 is very problematic from annoying little bugs (like when text is aligned to left instead of default centre, for instance) to more complicated issues like update problems and sound issues (like the one I am having right now on many of my devices). I always download the drivers from the manufacturer website and never through Windows updates ( I heard that Windows Update now gets the drivers from manufacturer servers but not sure). Every fresh install I do has its own set of issues, am I doing anything wrong, maybe but not far as I think. My HP PC which is mainly used to access some dictionaries and documents and not bloated with "third-parties" suffers from many issues; never modified any settings nor disabled any option or service. I don't know whose fault is this but as far as I am concerned, Microsoft itself is one of the reasons. Now I am downloading V.1809 iso and will clean install Windows 10 and see what it has to offer.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
After updating, the UAC prompt in my Standard user account no longer lets me enter the pin code. It asks for the whole password. But it only does this on one Standard user account. The other SUA works like it should.
Fixed. I entered the password wrong, it was rejected, and now it lets me enter the pin. :)

I respect all who replied to this thread. On my own humble opinion, Microsoft plays a major role in this tragedy. Windows 10 is very problematic from annoying little bugs (like when text is aligned to left instead of default centre, for instance) to more complicated issues like update problems and sound issues (like the one I am having right now on many of my devices). I always download the drivers from the manufacturer website and never through Windows updates ( I heard that Windows Update now gets the drivers from manufacturer servers but not sure). Every fresh install I do has its own set of issues, am I doing anything wrong, maybe but not far as I think. My HP PC which is mainly used to access some dictionaries and documents and not bloated with "third-parties" suffers from many issues; never modified any settings nor disabled any option or service. I don't know whose fault is this but as far as I am concerned, Microsoft itself is one of the reasons. Now I am downloading V.1809 iso and will clean install Windows 10 and see what it has to offer.

The average person wants stability and security. They will choose bug- and problem-free over the latest and greatest new-fangled feature every time. (I am not talking about gamers and technophiles... but the average person walking down the street who knows next to nothing about Windows or PCs or most any digital device for that matter). Why ? Because they don't want the headache. Reliability is always a more valuable commodity than the newest gizmo. It's a lesson that Microsoft has refused to listen to its customer base. The number of people who dislike Microsoft for all the problems their updates cause is a large number.

Reactions: Al-Faqir
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.